Page 10 of 13 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by smokepole
I don't know what it is about this cartridge that gets people so emotional.

It's the unreasonable claims that people make. No different than "The .270 is clearly superior to the .30-06 as an all-around BG hunting cartridge", or "Barnes bullets are better than Nosler bullets, no exceptions", or "Leupold scopes suck. Vortex is better", "PF actions aren't suitable for serious hunting rifles, CRF is the only way to go", etc.

You proved my point. All those things are true, so why argue?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

GB1

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
My .300 Wby is a Winchester M 70. Got it as a Christmas present 4 years ago.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
A 175 gr bullet close to 3100 from a 7mm Mashburn Super,that's very interesting Bob.

Getting the itch for a big 7mm mag (that may pass,rifle looney you know grin ) cause I have 175 gr NP's just sitting in the reloading room.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't know what it is about this cartridge that gets people so emotional.

It's the unreasonable claims that people make. No different than "The .270 is clearly superior to the .30-06 as an all-around BG hunting cartridge", or "Barnes bullets are better than Nosler bullets, no exceptions", or "Leupold scopes suck. Vortex is better", "PF actions aren't suitable for serious hunting rifles, CRF is the only way to go", etc.

You proved my point. All those things are true, so why argue?

That's a good point.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
It's been my Campfire experience is the less actual difference there is between cartridges/rifles/scopes/bullets (or anything else), the longer and more argumentative the thread.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

RBO Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

My Weatherby magnums were Weatherbys, if you're not familiar with a weatherby accumark, after you throw a zeiss 5-25x50 a sling and some ammo you're sitting at between 10 and 11 pounds. Not that it matters to me one way or another, but for future reference when someone claims to have a 10 pound magnum rifle, they aren't necessarily sporting a heavy contour predator barrel.

You made it on the bash bus, it just so happened to be the short one smile

Last edited by RBO; 10/11/16.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by RBO

My Weatherby magnums were Weatherbys, if you're not familiar with a weatherby accumark, after you throw a zeiss 5-25x50 a sling and some ammo you're sitting at between 10 and 11 pounds........

Well ......it's obvious where you went wrong. Ditch the hubble and mount something reasonable. The Accumark is a friggin club.

No wonder you think magnums weigh 10-11 pounds. smile

Here's a sub 8 pound magnum....scoped.

[Linked Image]

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hell, that's 3# of scope!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Noo.....just a little old SWFA 6X.

Another. This any better?

[Linked Image]

Last edited by BobinNH; 10/11/16.

RBO Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RBO
Originally Posted by mathman
[Linked Image]

smile

The guy on the left wins. Is that RBO on the right? grin

Classy Jordan, it's hard to believe how your head has swollen over the years, you used to respond with class and be informative, maybe that's just when you knew who you were talking to can have the same conversation to your face.

Maybe I will, you can pee on my boots then.

No offense intended. There are several guys on here that I consider friends, and we've occasionally disagreed and debated back and forth. If a guy can't dabble in a friendly pissing contest without getting offended, maybe he needs to re-think things a bit...

What you say about me may be true, but over the years I've developed an inability to suffer people pretending to speak with authority with no substance to back it up.

No offense intended?

If you piss on your buddies boots, that's one thing, if you piss on a strangers boots they don't always see the humor in that. I don't get offended by someone disagreeing with me, I don't get offended when someone corrects me, I do get a little irritated when they act different on the internet than what they would to your face, but I understand that's how it goes on the www.

We've had a few discussions over the years, most if not every time it's been pleasant and respectful, I'm surprised at how this one went. I've been on forums long enough not to get offended by someone behind a keyboard. Since I just started posting on this forum and haven't spent any time setting up my profile I'll give a little personal info, I'm not far down a stoney trail, west of nickleback county, chances are we've shot across the same piece of real-estate.

I've pretty much given all of my opinion of the 280ai, unless there's something else someone would care to grill me over that I haven't yet answered, I'm going to sit back and read the rest.

IC B3

RBO Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by RBO

My Weatherby magnums were Weatherbys, if you're not familiar with a weatherby accumark, after you throw a zeiss 5-25x50 a sling and some ammo you're sitting at between 10 and 11 pounds........

Well ......it's obvious where you went wrong. Ditch the hubble and mount something reasonable. The Accumark is a friggin club.

No wonder you think magnums weigh 10-11 pounds. smile

Here's a sub 8 pound magnum....scoped.

[Linked Image]

I know I said I'd sit back and read, I just want to clear up one last thing,

The accumarks were more of a bench rifle, I had a swaro hibecht on the 257 which was lighter. My hunting scopes are 40-44mm objectives.

Had a couple accumark, 257wby and a 300wby, sold my last accumark about 6 or so years ago because they were too heavy. Had a Cooper model 52 Excalibur in my beloved 280rem I sold because it was to heavy for my style of hunting. Had a TC pro Hunter in 300win mag, Sako Finnlight and Kimber Montana in 300wsm, and a Tikka T3 light in 300mag, got rid of all those for one reason or another in my quest for the perfect big game rifle. Something light and accurate, packs a punch but won't beat me up. It cost more than my other rifles but I think it's worth every cent.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RBO
Originally Posted by RBO
Originally Posted by mathman
[Linked Image]

smile

The guy on the left wins. Is that RBO on the right? grin

Classy Jordan, it's hard to believe how your head has swollen over the years, you used to respond with class and be informative, maybe that's just when you knew who you were talking to can have the same conversation to your face.

Maybe I will, you can pee on my boots then.

No offense intended. There are several guys on here that I consider friends, and we've occasionally disagreed and debated back and forth. If a guy can't dabble in a friendly pissing contest without getting offended, maybe he needs to re-think things a bit...

What you say about me may be true, but over the years I've developed an inability to suffer people pretending to speak with authority with no substance to back it up.

No offense intended?

If you piss on your buddies boots, that's one thing, if you piss on a strangers boots they don't always see the humor in that. I don't get offended by someone disagreeing with me, I don't get offended when someone corrects me, I do get a little irritated when they act different on the internet than what they would to your face, but I understand that's how it goes on the www.

We've had a few discussions over the years, most if not every time it's been pleasant and respectful, I'm surprised at how this one went. I've been on forums long enough not to get offended by someone behind a keyboard. Since I just started posting on this forum and haven't spent any time setting up my profile I'll give a little personal info, I'm not far down a stoney trail, west of nickleback county, chances are we've shot across the same piece of real-estate.

I've pretty much given all of my opinion of the 280ai, unless there's something else someone would care to grill me over that I haven't yet answered, I'm going to sit back and read the rest.

I think you mis-read that little illustration- it's not a "Calvin pissing on Chevy" sort of thing. More like a pissing contest, as in a debate back and forth. At least that's how I interpreted it. No personal attack intended.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
OK, one complaint of the 280 AI: It has that Nosler name on the only factory brass available. Almost settled on fireforming R-P brass to get away from that. But, then I discovered that it is in fact Norma brass with a pseudo Nosler headstamp. So, that won me over. It's kinda like having a rifle with "Weatherby" or "Remington" on the side of the action. Not happening here. But, that's just me smile

Last edited by KenMi; 10/11/16.
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by RBO
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

My Weatherby magnums were Weatherbys, if you're not familiar with a weatherby accumark, after you throw a zeiss 5-25x50 a sling and some ammo you're sitting at between 10 and 11 pounds. Not that it matters to me one way or another, but for future reference when someone claims to have a 10 pound magnum rifle, they aren't necessarily sporting a heavy contour predator barrel.

You made it on the bash bus, it just so happened to be the short one smile
Had a Accumark in a .300 Win mag,about 12-14 years ago. Did not weight it,but thinking 9 lbs was tops. It had a little ol' 3-9x on it. Killed a cow elk with it,then gave it to my brother.

Someone has schit for brains to have a 10 lb .300 magnum as 9 lbs or a little less is about right. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For those pining for a 280AI, a Kimber was just posted in the classifieds. As was a Rem 700 280 Rem in Mountain Rifle flavor which would be a decent candidate for the AI conversion.

Disclaimer: Neither rifle is mine, and I receive no compensation if/when either sells.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

280AI is basically the cartridge for the "right guy"...

The guy who -

- Doesn't need to over do it ( otherwise he'd have a Mag)
- The guy who engages targets at ranges where better BC's matter (over 300)
- The guy who may be trying to keep fewer rifles
- The guy who doesn't like the kick of 180 grain and higher bullets, or 130 grain and lighter for thier all around pill.

The 270 - targets
- The guy who cares more about velocity, and the size of the bullet hitting the target .

The 30-06 - targets
- The practical guy who wants to know it works, and the capability to pick a bullet weight I like.

That said - they all work, but if you use the 270, or 06 you get to worry about the issue of too little lead for what you may want, or too much drop past 300..

The 280 AI removes those concerns quiet effectively.
And gives one the opportunity to smirk and say "I just like it better" than what you are shooting.. No matter how much they say they don't want one, in thier heart they do. smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I heard something about bullets once.....

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

The 280 AI removes those concerns quiet effectively.
And gives one the opportunity to smirk and say "I just like it better" than what you are shooting.. No matter how much they say they don't want one, in thier heart they do. smile

I can't recall being concerned...and if I was, the 7 Rem Mag squelched any fears. cool

Going UP in pressure and DOWN in velocity from the 7 RM always seemed bass ackwards to me...but what do I know? crazy

I always thought it was for guys who lay awake nights dreaming of the perfect cartridge.

I can't comment on the personality types since I don't personally know anyone who owns one. And I have never hunted with anyone who was using one.

One or two friends got rid of theirs... grin

Will someone please pass the standard 280 Remington?

Thanks. wink

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I may have a bit more pragmatic approach than most.

I do see plenty of drama in "analysis" if one could call it that.

If it's the 280 vs 280 AI.. (that was a good catch I missed)

That's more about - do you need to feel special, or are you OCD about brass stretch.

By all means the difference difference between the vanilla 280 and the AI are really just a personal pref.

So for those who have custom rifles, ... AI is a custom bullet...

smile
Thanks,
Spot

Last edited by Spotshooter; 10/13/16.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

The guy who -

- Doesn't need to over do it ( otherwise he'd have a Mag)
- The guy who engages targets at ranges where better BC's matter (over 300)
- The guy who may be trying to keep fewer rifles
- The guy who doesn't like the kick of 180 grain and higher bullets, or 130 grain and lighter for thier all around pill.

I musta missed the highlighted portion above when I went in the direction of the 280AI. Three in hand, and counting . . .

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Page 10 of 13 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

279 members (1_deuce, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 204guy, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 39 invisible), 2,608 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,492
Posts18,472,039
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.