Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by RBO
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by RBO
What do you want to know bob? Have I killed animals with magnum rifles?

Yes, I have killed animals with magnum rifles, when the bullet hits its mark they die. The only magnum rifles I didn't mind shooting for any amount of time finished off around 10-11lbs, which isn't my idea of an ideal hunting rifle.

I'm trying to figure out how you know there is no advantage to (say) a 300 or 338 magnum on a 500 yard elk vs a 270 or 280. I know a few folks who would disagree with you. I'm wondering if you've killed enough of them with those cartridges (or at least seen it done) and dug through enough elk carcasses to know the difference?

The obvious advantage to a magnum chambering is that it holds more powder, so can move heavier bullets to higher velocity than the standard chamberings with less capacity. f you think that's not an advantage, i disagree.

The limiting factor in the recoil issue is "you",and has nothing to do with the advantages offered by the bigger case.You need to find your limitations and live with them,it doesn't change the facts that the bigger case does offer advantages.

10-11 pounds isn't an ideal hunting rifle weight. But that's a rifle you inflict on yourself. If your 7mm or 300 magnum weighs 10-11 pounds it's your fault and no one else's.

None of this, however, elevates a 280AI to the ideal or perfect all around BG cartridge. That's just your own opinion and nothing more.

It wouldn't make my top 5 for a bunch of reasons.

Couple things,

I never said that a magnum rifle wouldn't have an advantage at killing animals, I said that with its added recoil it can make the hunter develop a flinch, in turn making them less accurate. A good shot with a lighter cartridge is betwe than a bad shot with a big gun. I have owned several magnum rifles and I'll tell you that spending a day on the bench with a light weight magnum developing loads isn't my idea of a good time.

The magnums I didn't mind shooting a few dozen round through were the ones that weighed 10-11 pounds finished, more geared towards bench work, with that weight they spent little time in the woods.

Obviously all this is and ever was, was my opinion, and it still is my opinion that the 280ai is quite possibly the best all round North American big game hunting cartridge. I know you and a few others have taken offense to my opinion, however none of you have suggested a better alternative, but rather tear up my opinion. My opinion is what the OP was asking to hear about, I gave reasons why I like the 280a and told him what I think about iti, after that most all I've read is a bunch of guys crying over my opinion.

You say it doesn't make your top five for a number of reasons, do you care to tell me the bunch of reasons, then tell me the 5 that top it?

You said magnums hold no advantage inside 600 yards. What am I supposed to interpret that as meaning? That's what you said. Read it.

Is the 280AI the ONLY rifle you own? Haven't you ever taken 2-3 rifles to the range? Say a 223, a 280 AI and a 300 Winn Mag? Do some shooting with each one?

Point being you don't need to shoot 100 rounds (or even 50) in an afternoon to be proficient with a 300 or any heavy recoiling rifle. This is just urban myth. Mix it up to get past the recoil issue.

You don't shoot strings of shots at BG animals in the course of a season. The recoil of a 7mm or 300 magnum should not be a major issue if you practice intelligently with either one. I would not be so insistent on this issue if I had not shout thousands of rounds in magnum chamberings over the years.

We aren't offering alternatives to your opinion because there isn't any single one"best" choice.Some of us have figured that out. We all have our favorites, and our opinions but that's about "it".

You're entitled to your opinion but you aren't entitled to your facts.

Five cartridges I'd pick for general BG hunting on this continent are the 30/06, the 7mm Rem Mag,270 Winchester, 300 Win Mag, and 375 H&H. I'd squeeze a 338 in there if there were room. I don't have to explain those cartridges to you....do I?

In a wildcat cartridge I'd take the 7mm Mashburn Super any day of the week. The FF loads are really a "280AI" if I want to hunt with those, and I can move 175 gr bullets close to 3100 fps if I want. With 160's it leaves the 280AI way behind.Those will work on anything.

Yes, it burns more powder and kicks a little more....LOL who cares? See above.

In less "common" chamberings I'd take a 7mm Weatherby before a 280AI.

Hell I think I named 8! The 280AI won't even make Top Ten! smile

Case capacity is not that much greater than a 270 or standard 280. Reference the Nosler Manual. With a 150 gr bullet seated the 280AI holds 64.8 gr of powder,and a standard 280 holds 62.5. Top loads show 3100 vs 3020. Not much "Improvement" there.

It's mostly a fad.

Last edited by BobinNH; 10/10/16.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
We aren't offering alternatives to your opinion because there isn't any single one"best" choice.Some of us have figured that out. We all have our favorites, and our opinions but that's about "it".

Yep.

It's mostly a fad.

Nope. If it was, it would be dead by now, not standardized.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Too much effort about the ass end of a cartridge and not enough on the front.

WWPOD?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by smokepole

Yep.

It's mostly a fad.

Nope. If it was, it would be dead by now, not standardized.

Well....we'll see where it goes. I don't see rifles and ammo commonly available at any of the biggest stores back here. There was ONE 280AI at Kittery Trading Post yesterday.

Federal loading for it yet? Winchester or Remington? It;s mostly just Nosler far as I know.

I think the WSM's got way more traction in just a few months than the 280AI has had....and the 7mm WSM is about dead, except on here.

The CF is the Nirvana of dead and obscure cartridges. grin

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mathman
[Linked Image]

smile

The guy on the left wins. Is that RBO on the right? grin

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
That's BS Jordan and you know it. The guy on the left has better trajectory, but the splash marks clearly show the guy on the right with more retained energy, even though you can't see the headstamp.

RBO Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bob, I guess what I meant was that out past 600yds is where you will see the advantage of a magnum cartridge over a non magnum cartridge.

Of your top 5 I would take a 280ai over the 30-06, 270, 7rem mag, and a 338 as an all round rifle, and if it's in a lightweight platform I'd take it over the 300mag as well.

What are "my" facts? Are you suggesting that a 7-08 will outperform a 280ai? I used the example of the ttsx because it just so happened to be the bullet that particular rifle liked best and when I was presented with that particular shot I was able to put the bullet where it had to go, I knew it wasn't an ideal range but to be quite honest I thought it would have preformed a bit better. Given the exact same circumstances with a 7-08 it would have been work. It's all fine and dandy if your 7-08 likes heavy bullets, what if it don't? I also said that the 280ai's recoil is under the proverbial 20ft lb mark, which is said to be the point where recoil starts to subconsciously affect a shooters accuracy for the average shooter.

I know how things work, as soon as soon as someone doesn't agree with your opinion they go on the attack, taking everything that is said as literal and gospel to push their opinion. I don't mind other opinions, as a matter of fact I've been challenging others to give theirs, and by the way I do appreciate your responses, even though I disagree with some of what you say. They tend to be a bit more on the educated side than the critical side which helps add to the thread rather than take from it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Taking opinion out of the mix, how does that 7mm 140 TTSX @ 3,100 compare to the .277 129 LRX at 3,100?

Or did we already go over this?

RBO Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
[Linked Image]

smile

Classy Jordan, it's hard to believe how your head has swollen over the years, you used to respond with class and be informative, maybe that's just when you knew who you were talking to can have the same conversation to your face.

Maybe I will, you can pee on my boots then.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oh please, somebody say it.......I can't bring myself to plagiarize...

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RBO
Jordan, all things being equal means ALL things, all things being equal between the 7-08 and the 280ai, the 280ai wins with about 4ft lbs more recoil, but still under the proverbial 20ft lbs mark.

Both rifles shoot the same projectiles, its the charge that sets them apart. I haven't looked too much into the 7saum but with only a grain or two difference between it and the ackley, I imagine it would be getting pretty close to the maximum recoil range where shooting gets a little uncomfortable. My only question would be on brass and barrel life, granted for a hunting rifle that wouldn't be much of a worry, provided you don't need to do any load development.

With a choice between a 7-08, a 280ai, and a 7stw to go hunting with, I'd pick the 280ai every time, the 7saum sounds almost like the ballistic twin to the 280ai only in a short fat case.

That's kind of my point. ALL things are never equal. Every chambering has trade offs. If you want to compare efficiency, the 7-08 is superior. It accomplishes the same things at a lower cost. Recoil, noise, and powder consumption are all greater with the .280AI. Rifle length, weight, and handiness also suffer. If you want to compare performance, well then the 7WSM, 7RM, etc will outpace the .280AI with a minimal addition in recoil, noise, and powder consumption. The 7SAUM has essentially identical usable powder capacity (<1gr difference), but comes in a smaller action/stock package. Barrel life is essentially a wash, and brass life is too, if effort is made to keep necks from splitting. Difference in recoil is negligible, and is affected more by stock design and fit than any perceived difference between the two chamberings.

At the end of the day, they ALL have trade offs. Sure, the .280AI is one of the best all-around BG hunting rifles that exists, but so is the .270 Win, 7-08, 7RM, .30-06, 7WSM, etc. A guy simply has to decide what trade offs matter most to him. How much performance does he need, and how much recoil, noise, powder consumption, barrel life, cost-effectiveness, and rifle handiness is he willing to give up/accept to get it. Bullets make a much bigger difference than the name on the headstamp. Nobody is offended by your opinion, but your arguments behind the opinion don't hold up, as several here have pointed out.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's BS Jordan and you know it. The guy on the left has better trajectory, but the splash marks clearly show the guy on the right with more retained energy, even though you can't see the headstamp.

Good point. That stream must have more retained energy and be of larger caliber. Where are the judges???

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RBO
[Linked Image]

smile

Classy Jordan, it's hard to believe how your head has swollen over the years, you used to respond with class and be informative, maybe that's just when you knew who you were talking to can have the same conversation to your face.

No offense intended. There are several guys on here that I consider friends, and we've occasionally disagreed and debated back and forth. If a guy can't dabble in a friendly pissing contest without getting offended, maybe he needs to re-think things a bit...

What you say about me may be true, but over the years I've developed an inability to suffer people pretending to speak with authority with no substance to back it up.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 16bore
Oh please, somebody say it.......I can't bring myself to plagiarize...

I don't think anyone will report you grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ok, I'll do it....

"
Originally Posted by RBO
[Linked Image]

smile

You couldn't pour piss out of a boot......

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I don't know what it is about this cartridge that gets people so emotional. Guaranteed, if the OP had said "I want to build an '06 (or .270, or .260, or .243) this thread would've run its course long ago.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
30-06 = Boring
270 = Gay
243 = buy a Creed
260 = buy a Creed

Easy pattern.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't know what it is about this cartridge that gets people so emotional.

It's the unreasonable claims that people make. No different than "The .270 is clearly superior to the .30-06 as an all-around BG hunting cartridge", or "Barnes bullets are better than Nosler bullets, no exceptions", or "Leupold scopes suck. Vortex is better", "PF actions aren't suitable for serious hunting rifles, CRF is the only way to go", etc.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
That's what I like to see, a guy with all the answers.

Thanks!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well, my mom does make the best fried chicken.

Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 12344mag, 16gage, 10Glocks, 52 invisible), 2,690 guests, and 1,353 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,460
Posts18,471,239
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.