Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
boliep Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B

I have a pre 64 Winchester Model 70 featherweight that I seldom use and was trying to come up with an idea for a new use for it. Rebarrel, change the caliber, add a quality stock, ???

Anyone have an good ideas or suggestions? I am at a loss.

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.
Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
You can send it to me to examine, I will be happy to help smile

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Make it into a 35 Whelen. I would look at just re-boring it so it keeps the same contour and look as the original.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
If it was me I would figure out why it isn't getting used. Then it is easy enough to figure out if it is "fixable" or time to move it on to someone who would be happy with it.
BTW, I love pre 64 fwts, in std cartridges. (i.e. 270 or 06)

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
If is is in original condition the way it is, you should probably sell it that way and buy something else to shoot.

The pre-64 FWTs should be pretty desirable.

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
You could get it ready to hunt:

[Linked Image]

And then actually do so:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by battue; 10/03/16.

laissez les bons temps rouler
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
we need more info, great rifles deserving to go hunting.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by patbrennan
If it was me I would figure out why it isn't getting used. Then it is easy enough to figure out if it is "fixable" or time to move it on to someone who would be happy with it.
BTW, I love pre 64 fwts, in std cartridges. (i.e. 270 or 06)

Exactly. My sentiments as well.... However, with this being said, I hunt my other rifles. Particularly my sporterized m1917 and custom 338 win mag... crazy

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by donsm70
If is is in original condition the way it is, you should probably sell it that way and buy something else to shoot.

The pre-64 FWTs should be pretty desirable.

donsm70

Exactly. I'd probably sell it rather than modify it. I'd put the money, from the sale, into something else more meaningful....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I recently purchased a pre'64 FW whose previous owner had rebarreled in .257 Roberts, it was one of my grail rifles. A FW in .35 Whelen is on my bucket list, prehaps one day soon. Either caliber in a pre'64 FW is an excellent option and close to being an ideal hunting rifle.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by battue
You could get it ready to hunt:

[Linked Image]

And then actually do so:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This. You'd be unlikely to find anything better at any price.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
boliep Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B

Thanks for all of the responses and ideas. I do appreciate the help.

My initial thoughts were to restock it and rebarrel it. The rifle is a 30-06 so, to me, the only options with doing a rebarrel was to keep it as a 30-06 or possibly go to a 35 Whelen. I would probably use a Kreiger if it is rebarreled.

patbrennen has the million dollar question. I do not know why I don't use it more but I always grab a 270 or 300 Win Mag when hunting. Wish I knew the answer to your question. The one thing I think of with that question is the factory stock is a low comb stock and it not all that comfortable for me to shoot. I like a higher comb than this rifle has. However the rifle does have quite a few deer and a few hogs to it's credit.

donsm70 the rifle is original but well used and no where near collector quality. There is bluing wear, a recoil pad, no front hood sight, etc. It is a hunters rifle and nothing more.

Battue what you show pictures of is very interesting. Would you mind taking the time to send me the particulars on that rifle either on here or by PM?

handwerk what kind of information do you need to help me with suggestions?

Bsa as I said above, the rifle is a hunting quality rifle only. If I sold it, or traded it, I have no idea what would be more meaningful. Just part of my quandary.

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.
Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by boliep

My initial thoughts were to restock it and rebarrel it. The rifle is a 30-06 so, to me, the only options with doing a rebarrel was to keep it as a 30-06 or possibly go to a 35 Whelen. I would probably use a Kreiger if it is rebarreled.

patbrennen has the million dollar question. I do not know why I don't use it more but I always grab a 270 or 300 Win Mag when hunting. Wish I knew the answer to your question. The one thing I think of with that question is the factory stock is a low comb stock and it not all that comfortable for me to shoot. I like a higher comb than this rifle has. However the rifle does have quite a few deer and a few hogs to it's credit.

donsm70 the rifle is original but well used and no where near collector quality. There is bluing wear, a recoil pad, no front hood sight, etc. It is a hunters rifle and nothing more.

Battue what you show pictures of is very interesting. Would you mind taking the time to send me the particulars on that rifle either on here or by PM?

Bsa as I said above, the rifle is a hunting quality rifle only. If I sold it, or traded it, I have no idea what would be more meaningful. Just part of my quandary.

With that being said, I agree that a "redo" is in order. I think a 35 Whelen rebuild would fit go nicely with your 270 and 300 Win Mag.

donsm70

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by donsm70

With that being said, I agree that a "redo" is in order. I think a 35 Whelen rebuild would go nicely with your 270 and 300 Win Mag.

donsm70

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Boliep, there are actually two rifles.

The first is a .30-06 I recently acquired from Yar here on the fire. It is about as close to new as one could find. He said it was originally from a fellow who hunted it a couple days and then thought it too nice to hunt. It then was acquired by his father and spent the rest of its time locked away. I had a Smith put it in the McMillan Compact Edge and plan on hunting it this season.

The second is a .308W that again was hardly used. A fire member gave me a heads up on the bowling ball McMillan that was on special sale for a good price.

They both function great, carry nice and shoot better than good.

Something to think of: Some may think these two rifles should have stayed as pristine as the day I acquired them. They have a point, but I feel they were made to hunt and feel fortunate to have the opportunity. I'm not going to worry if they get a ding or scratch here or there. You say yours is shooter grade, well they all are from my perspective. There are few rifles that have the character of a used and well cared for "shooter grade" Model 70FWT. Yours to do with as you wish, but if it shoots well, there is little reason to tear it apart with a new barrel or rebore. A piece of history you have there in one of the most versitle cartridges every invented.

With few exceptions, there are few new factory rifles made today, that you can spend good money on, that compare with that shooter grade you presently own.

Addition: If yours is typical of the mold, you will gain little with a Kreiger. A little, but damn little.

Last edited by battue; 10/03/16.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
If it was mine, shot well and I wanted to use it more, first thing I would do is get a good, lightweight synthetic stock for it (one that fit me well). After bedding it and checking accuracy with the new stock, I would probably just hunt it.
If I felt flush with cash, I might rebarrel it, to something with a bit less recoil!

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Were it mine, I would re-think why I weren't using it. What could you re-barrel it to that a .30-06 couldn't do equally well? The M70 Fwt was one of the best thought out hunting rifles to come down the pike. There's not much we mortals can do to one to improve upon what the wizards at Winchester wrought.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Friend loads his .30-06 down to .308 and even .300Savage levels. It shoots great, recoil is pleasant and he kills his Deer most every year just the same.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Other than dropping it in Edge, nothing....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

How does the gun shoot? Ive owned 2 or 3 mod 70's and all would shoot inside an inch. If yours is not shooting well I would put a military strip,clean on the barrel and check the crown. My only custom mod 70 is a Shilen barrel in 25-06 in a Borden, Rimrock stock...I love it on whitetails.. very best winpoor

Last edited by winchesterpoor; 10/04/16.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

137 members (44mc, 10Glocks, 1100mag, 35, 10gaugemag, 18 invisible), 1,383 guests, and 975 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,749
Posts18,495,264
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.