Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Basic math tables can easily be taught by parents.

After all, it's the parent's responsibility to make sure THEIR children are educated.

Seriously, there's an app for multiplication tables. I had to do nothing except be strict enough to make the boy practice a few minutes a day. The bar is set pretty darn low...

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by mathman
Mom had me reading pretty well before I went to Kindergarten. It was a nice advantage for me.

Same here, though I seldom found an occasion to use Pall Mall and Cutty Sark in a sentence in Kindergarten.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
B
B
Originally Posted by KuiLei
Originally Posted by bakerloo

... Common core math is designed to teach number sense in the early grades. Word problems are a major part of the new standards. "Renaming addition?" Never heard of it and I teach common core math every day. I don't read about on the internet...

Spectrum Math, grade 3, published 2015, corresponding to CA state standards. Need me to post a picture from the book where it demonstrates renaming? Or can you take my word for it that I didn't just "read about it on the internet"?

Please do.
Thanks in advance.

Spectrum Math is not a CA State adopted curriculum. You can buy these books at Walmart. Below is the list of curriculum approved by CA.
http://www.cde.ca.gov/ci/ma/im/sbeadopted2014mathprgms.asp

Last edited by bakerloo; 10/03/16.
5sdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
In the end, nothing will change. Smart kids will succeed, dumb ones will not. Kid's with good parents and discipline will not have to worry about flipping burgers.

Exactly.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by GrandView
A lot of the common core math stuff is what I've been doing for 40 years.

Doing things in 10's is the way to roll. Most people I know can't add 5 numbers without writing it all out and carrying numbers.

Do sheit in 10's and you can rock it in your head in seconds.

This^

Had a Grandfather who delivered feed to farmers out of the back of a big truck until he was 70. Watched him routinely add columns of 4 & 5-digit numbers in his head.......quickly and accurately. He used to entertain us grandkids by adding columns of multi-digit numbers upside down.

His explanation (and training) were "common core". It's not a particularly new premise.

It's how dad taught me and he was born in 1919.
37 x 17 for example becomes 37 x 10= 370 + 370 = 740- 120 (40x3, which is quicker than 3 x 37 because it's in 10's) which = 620 then add back 9 (because 40 is 3 greater than 37 and you multiplied 40 three times and 3x3 is 9), which is the final answer of 629.

Of course I can do that in my head in about 2 seconds.

Similar to the way I learned it after years of being frustrated with carrying, borrowing, moving numbers here and there, etc. Except in my head I do 37x17 a little different than you did. I go ahead and round the 17 up and multiply 37x20 equals 740, then I figure the 90 (30x3) and 21 (7x3), add them together to get 111 and take that from the 740 to get 629. Same result, different pathway. You also mentioned percentages. Dad drilled into me (and I am glad he did - he would watch me trying to carry numbers by counting on my fingers and his blood would boil) that I can always come close to 10% or 1% by moving the decimal to find .1 or .01, I can then use my mental multiplication to find figures very close to actual percentages quickly. When we watch "The Biggest Loser" my wife and I like to see how close I can get to their actual percentage before it pops up onto the screen. Just a nerdy skill I picked up! I also figured out in high school to add and subtract by beginning at the left instead of the right and forget all of the "borrowing" and my life got MUCHO EASIER!

Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. - Ronald Reagan

For why should my freedom be judged by another man's conscience? - 1 Corinthians 10:29
IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I sometimes do it the same way you did, depends on the moment.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular

Whoa! No way I could switch back and forth. I gotta stick with what has worked. And I can't do those in 2 seconds like you. More like 10! Ha

Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. - Ronald Reagan

For why should my freedom be judged by another man's conscience? - 1 Corinthians 10:29
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by philgood80

Whoa! No way I could switch back and forth. I gotta stick with what has worked. And I can't do those in 2 seconds like you. More like 10! Ha

I've got a little 'Rain Man' in me when it comes to math.

Of course I have the artistic abilities of a rock.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Kick that around with a little 420. It be clear then!!

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
A great cure for test anxiety is to know what you're doing.

You nailed it...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B3

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K

... Common core math is designed to teach number sense in the early grades. Word problems are a major part of the new standards. "Renaming addition?" Never heard of it and I teach common core math every day. I don't read about on the internet...

Spectrum Math, grade 3, published 2015, corresponding to CA state standards. Need me to post a picture from the book where it demonstrates renaming? Or can you take my word for it that I didn't just "read about it on the internet"?

You can buy these books at Walmart. Below is the list of curriculum approved by CA.

Ok - get yourself a copy at your nearby Walmart then. I think my wife picked these up at a local bookstore, as there is no Walmart within 30 or so miles. At any rate, regarding renaming and the CA curriculum:

From reference.com

Renaming is a concept in mathematics that is taught to elementary-aged school children, usually around grade three or four. It teaches students the importance of breaking three-digit whole numbers down to their tens and ones in order to do a myriad of mathematical computations. Renaming can help children estimate the answer to multiplication and division problems, compute complex subtraction and addition problems, and gain a better understanding of decimal numbers and their uses.

And from http://www.cde.ca.gov/be/st/ss/documents/ccssmathstandardaug2013.PDF

... Understand that in adding or subtracting three-digit numbers, one adds or subtracts hundreds and hundreds, tens and tens, ones and ones; and sometimes it is necessary to compose or decompose tens or hundreds.

So, renaming does appear to be part of the CA curriculum. Though in the CA text it is referred to as "compose" and "decompose". But I could be wrong. Is there a difference between "renaming" 339 as 33 tens and 9 ones, vs saying 339 decomposes to 33 tens and 9 ones? Would it be less or more decomposition to say that 339 is 3 hundreds, 3 tens and 9 ones?

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
We don't need new ways of presenting math, we need discipline in schools and students who put in the work.

Racist, homophobe.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not trying to veer the thread off course but perhaps you can verify something someone told me about the way the Chinese say numbers which automatically helps their children with math.

Instead of pronouncing the number 37 as thirty seven (or as the Germans call it seven and thirty), the Chinese would call that three tens seven, is that correct?

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J

What I mean, is that people NEED repetition and practice in order to retain what they've learned. One of the best ways to do that in a formal school setting is through homework. To not do so at ages 6-9 leads to 17 year old clerks that can't make change without punching it into the register. Or they go all "deer-in-headlights" when you give them a $20, and 10 seconds later after it's been entered, you give them another 17 cents on your $16.67 bill...

Which is somewhat the premise of the movie Idiocracy, that the world in 500 years will be solely populated by what are now considered idiots. Those people with a high IQ having been displaced from the gene pool by the fecundity of the stupid. [/quote]

There seem to be a lot of studies out from some Scandinavian countries that have suspended homework that are testing way better than our kids.

If you receive crap instruction while you are in class, it does not seem to matter how much homework you get.

I would much rather a kid gets his work done in school and then comes home and gets to be a kid after getting his chores done.

What good does the ability to make instant change in your head do when you are living in your parents basement?

I am MAGA.
B
B

You can buy these books at Walmart. Below is the list of curriculum approved by CA.

Ok - get yourself a copy at your nearby Walmart then. I think my wife picked these up at a local bookstore, as there is no Walmart within 30 or so miles. At any rate, regarding renaming and the CA curriculum:

From reference.com

Renaming is a concept in mathematics that is taught to elementary-aged school children, usually around grade three or four. It teaches students the importance of breaking three-digit whole numbers down to their tens and ones in order to do a myriad of mathematical computations. Renaming can help children estimate the answer to multiplication and division problems, compute complex subtraction and addition problems, and gain a better understanding of decimal numbers and their uses.

And from http://www.cde.ca.gov/be/st/ss/documents/ccssmathstandardaug2013.PDF

... Understand that in adding or subtracting three-digit numbers, one adds or subtracts hundreds and hundreds, tens and tens, ones and ones; and sometimes it is necessary to compose or decompose tens or hundreds.

So, renaming does appear to be part of the CA curriculum. Though in the CA text it is referred to as "compose" and "decompose". But I could be wrong. Is there a difference between "renaming" 339 as 33 tens and 9 ones, vs saying 339 decomposes to 33 tens and 9 ones? Would it be less or more decomposition to say that 339 is 3 hundreds, 3 tens and 9 ones?

Renaming means changing the name...
Decomposing means breaking down.
Understanding that 343 is 3 hundreds 4 tens and 3 ones is very important. Place value is huge for kids.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
I would much rather a kid gets his work done in school and then comes home and gets to be a kid after getting his chores done.

The discipline I mentioned earlier would go a long way to making this feasible.

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I don't know what sort of time kids are given to work problems in class these days - I do remember having very little primary school and middle school homework myself, as I was very motivated to get it done in class so I didn't have to take it home...

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Granted my daughter is only in the second grade, so I am sure things will change over time, but she ALWAYS finishes her assignments in class.

Its the 5 to 15 pages of work that is handed to them as they walk out the door that bothers me.

Its a stressful deal when she comes home with all that work. I get riled up when 2+6=applesauce.

I would imagine that if she has kids it will be easier.

My genius buddy actually likes some aspects of common core.

Since he is the reason I passed geometry and is a nuclear engineer, I guess I have to take his word for it.

Until public education is worth a dang, I will advocate the kids get outta there ASAP.

I am MAGA.
B
B

Until public education is worth a dang, I will advocate the kids get outta there ASAP.

You can always pay for private school...

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

You can always pay for private school...

Yup, paying twice shouldn't bother you. It's for the greater good.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

630 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 67 invisible), 2,565 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,062
Posts18,501,240
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.