Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bakerloo
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Until public education is worth a dang, I will advocate the kids get outta there ASAP.

You can always pay for private school...

That's what I did because my kids were that important.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter

5sdad Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Vek
I don't know what sort of time kids are given to work problems in class these days - I do remember having very little primary school and middle school homework myself, as I was very motivated to get it done in class so I didn't have to take it home...

We assigned very little that was "homework". We made assignments and provided time during class for them to be worked on so that we were available to help where and when it was needed. If something was not completed in the time allowed, there were other times during the day that could be used for that as well. If something was not completed during the day, it was expected that it would be taken home and completed for the next day. We did stress that fifteen to twenty minutes spent at home going over class-generated notes would go a long way toward making studying for a test much more about review and less about "cramming".

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There are some interesting things in this thread, and I don't even have a dog in the fight about it. Just killing time right now waiting on something.

First as Steelhead and maybe others have mentioned base ten is the only game in town. You can add and subtract like lightening when your brain works this way. Although many will not like to hear this, it's most likely why the Metric system is so far superior. Everyone can count money! Having lived in South Africa for many years, the Metric system is the standard. Learning this and using it was far easier then if I was born there and moved to the USA having to learn gallons, miles, inches, ounces, and feet etc.

As far as reading, I was under strong pressure as a kid to read. Even as a very young boy my parents told me if you can learn to read perfectly you can learn anything you want to. Now 50 years later I will be reading something on the fox news app on my iPhone. I'm using my thumb to scroll through it so fast my girlfriend says hold on you read way too fast slow down!

You cannot possibly read that fast and understand anything your reading! I hand her the phone and tell her ask me something about the content, any sentence. I can repeat it 90% or better word for word. Reading is as critical a life skill as anything.

Mathman, has also nailed much of this. If I had been sent home from school with a poor grade or some discipline issue I would get my ass beat. I would not have enjoyed the next week of my life one bit. Discipline and learning to focus was drilled into me with relentless pressure from my parents. Those same learned skills extended into my college education in South Africa as a young adult. That school was not even in English!

I have a son with serious learning disability thanks to his biological mother who was a drunk during her pregnancy. Giving him the gift of Fetal Alcohol spectrum disorder. The schools have no idea how to deal with that 10 second attention span. Neither did I to tell the truth. I'm not sure what the ratio of troubled kids is to "normal" but the schools cannot handle any kids with issues.

I also think those learning issues greatly extend to kids with Parents that use the school as a day care and do nothing to help their children though school. If it were not for the relentless discipline of my parents while I was in school I would not be using the internet, graduated from university in the USA with electrical engineering or the Wildlife management education in South Africa.

No parenting guidance, no success period. I do not think that the schools alone, nor the curriculum is the ultimate deciding factor of a kids success. It's the parents involvement that makes or breaks the future of the kid. It's cheap and easy to hire a local college student to tutor a struggling kid one hour a week in the evening. They all want to make 20 bucks for an hour of helping a kid.

I've also learned that I'm not the best at showing patience and understanding with my own son. I can do this flawlessly with any other kid, but doing this with your own kid is a stress between you and them. Especially with My sons attention issues from the FAE.

It's not a freaking village........ idiot ( hillery)! It's the parents!

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J

Until public education is worth a dang, I will advocate the kids get outta there ASAP.

I wish I had that option around here, and home school is out for me.

Very little of what passes for "education" is worth the money it cost to send them there.

Admittedly, I have been reading a lot of information put out by Thomas Sowell.

If you want an interesting read, look into Charter Schools in Harlem.

Once you get past all the teachers Union's sites crying about them, there is good info. It seems to really be working in the inner city.

If all that 12 years of Government Education prepares you for is to be able to compete with illegal immigrants that dont speak the language, then it was not worth the money it cost.

Last edited by Jim_Conrad; 10/04/16.

I am MAGA.
O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by JJHACK
There are some interesting things in this thread, and I don't even have a dog in the fight about it. Just killing time right now waiting on something.

First as Steelhead and maybe others have mentioned base ten is the only game in town. You can add and subtract like lightening when your brain works this way. Although many will not like to hear this, it's most likely why the Metric system is so far superior. Everyone can count money! Having lived in South Africa for many years, the Metric system is the standard. Learning this and using it was far easier then if I was born there and moved to the USA having to learn gallons, miles, inches, ounces, and feet etc.

As far as reading, I was under strong pressure as a kid to read. Even as a very young boy my parents told me if you can learn to read perfectly you can learn anything you want to. Now 50 years later I will be reading something on the fox news app on my iPhone. I'm using my thumb to scroll through it so fast my girlfriend says hold on you read way too fast slow down!

You cannot possibly read that fast and understand anything your reading! I hand her the phone and tell her ask me something about the content, any sentence. I can repeat it 90% or better word for word. Reading is as critical a life skill as anything.

Mathman, has also nailed much of this. If I had been sent home from school with a poor grade or some discipline issue I would get my ass beat. I would not have enjoyed the next week of my life one bit. Discipline and learning to focus was drilled into me with relentless pressure from my parents. Those same learned skills extended into my college education in South Africa as a young adult. That school was not even in English!

I have a son with serious learning disability thanks to his biological mother who was a drunk during her pregnancy. Giving him the gift of Fetal Alcohol spectrum disorder. The schools have no idea how to deal with that 10 second attention span. Neither did I to tell the truth. I'm not sure what the ratio of troubled kids is to "normal" but the schools cannot handle any kids with issues.

I also think those learning issues greatly extend to kids with Parents that use the school as a day care and do nothing to help their children though school. If it were not for the relentless discipline of my parents while I was in school I would not be using the internet, graduated from university in the USA with electrical engineering or the Wildlife management education in South Africa.

No parenting guidance, no success period. I do not think that the schools alone, nor the curriculum is the ultimate deciding factor of a kids success. It's the parents involvement that makes or breaks the future of the kid. It's cheap and easy to hire a local college student to tutor a struggling kid one hour a week in the evening. They all want to make 20 bucks for an hour of helping a kid.

I've also learned that I'm not the best at showing patience and understanding with my own son. I can do this flawlessly with any other kid, but doing this with your own kid is a stress between you and them. Especially with My sons attention issues from the FAE.

I spent a couple of terms on a school board and this is an excellent summary of what I learned. Denial of this reality is an evil wish for the kids.

Also, did many years on a craniofacial team and dealt with fetal alcohol. Parents who do this should be neutered after twenty in the big house. It's a life sentence.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

IC B2

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by KuiLei
Originally Posted by KuiLei

... Common core math is designed to teach number sense in the early grades. Word problems are a major part of the new standards. "Renaming addition?" Never heard of it and I teach common core math every day. I don't read about on the internet...

Spectrum Math, grade 3, published 2015, corresponding to CA state standards. Need me to post a picture from the book where it demonstrates renaming? Or can you take my word for it that I didn't just "read about it on the internet"?

You can buy these books at Walmart. Below is the list of curriculum approved by CA.
http://www.cde.ca.gov/ci/ma/im/sbeadopted2014mathprgms.asp

Ok - get yourself a copy at your nearby Walmart then. I think my wife picked these up at a local bookstore, as there is no Walmart within 30 or so miles. At any rate, regarding renaming and the CA curriculum:

From reference.com

Renaming is a concept in mathematics that is taught to elementary-aged school children, usually around grade three or four. It teaches students the importance of breaking three-digit whole numbers down to their tens and ones in order to do a myriad of mathematical computations. Renaming can help children estimate the answer to multiplication and division problems, compute complex subtraction and addition problems, and gain a better understanding of decimal numbers and their uses.

And from http://www.cde.ca.gov/be/st/ss/documents/ccssmathstandardaug2013.PDF

... Understand that in adding or subtracting three-digit numbers, one adds or subtracts hundreds and hundreds, tens and tens, ones and ones; and sometimes it is necessary to compose or decompose tens or hundreds.

So, renaming does appear to be part of the CA curriculum. Though in the CA text it is referred to as "compose" and "decompose". But I could be wrong. Is there a difference between "renaming" 339 as 33 tens and 9 ones, vs saying 339 decomposes to 33 tens and 9 ones? Would it be less or more decomposition to say that 339 is 3 hundreds, 3 tens and 9 ones?

Renaming means changing the name...

So, you didn't read this part of my quote on renaming, did you:

breaking three-digit whole numbers down to their tens and ones

Note the words "breaking.... down". I swear I've seen those before. Where was it now?

Decomposing means breaking down.

Oh yeah, that was it.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Not trying to veer the thread off course but perhaps you can verify something someone told me about the way the Chinese say numbers which automatically helps their children with math.

Instead of pronouncing the number 37 as thirty seven (or as the Germans call it seven and thirty), the Chinese would call that three tens seven, is that correct?

Exactly. In that particular case "san shi qi".

The named places are one, ten, hundred, thousand, ten thousand and then hundred million. 100,000 is 10 ten thousand (shi wan), 1,000,000 is 1 hundred ten thousand (yi bai wan)...

But there is wonkiness in the words used in the Chinese numbering system as well. Take the digit "2". Sometimes it's called "two", sometimes it's called "pair".

As in: one, two, three.... ten nine, two ten, two ten one.... one hundred nine ten nine, pair hundred, pair hundred zero one... one thousand nine hundred nine ten nine, pair thousand, pair thousand zero hundred zero ten one... (1,2,3...19,20,21...199,200,201...1999,2000,2001...)

Note the zeros used for clarity - because when you say "three hundred five" (san bai wu) you are using verbal shorthand for 350 (san bai wu shi) not 305 (san bai ling wu)

B
B
Originally Posted by Ringman

That's what I did because my kids were that important.

I teach in the public school system and send my dyslexic daughter to a private school. The public school system could not give her the supports I want for her, so I pay for it.

If it's important you will find a way. If it's not important, you will find an excuse. Paying for private school means we sacrifice some things... Some parents don't want to make those sacrifices.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by mathman
A great cure for test anxiety is to know what you're doing.

Exactly.

I remember a few people in college asking me how I did so well on tests. I told them that I read the assignments, made sure I understood what I read and PAID attention in class.

Forget the note taking and spend the time comprehending what the teacher is teaching. I see SO many jotting away notes in a fury, but not listening/comprehending what is being said.

I almost NEVER took notes, sometimes a few bullet words etc, but that was it. I found it far better to UNDERSTAND what was being taught and you can't do that if you're too busy writing.

If you UNDERSTAND was is being taught, you don't need to worry about tests and studying.

LOL - sounds rather familiar....my notes were so meaningless and sparse... but they brought back the lectures perfectly - for me- in my mind.

Me too! My notes for 3 weeks of classes may have fit on a single page of a notebook and wouldn't have meant anything to anyone other than me. I paid attention while others were busy writing. To this day, I can't take decent notes in a meeting but I can recall most anything that was said.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Totally agree on the need to go metric . I also wish they would teach economics in high school.

IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by country_20boy
... My notes for 3 weeks of classes may have fit on a single page of a notebook and wouldn't have meant anything to anyone other than me. I paid attention while others were busy writing. To this day, I can't take decent notes in a meeting but I can recall most anything that was said.

One of the best profs I ever had for a regular course was one of my PhD advisors. He was very particular about textbooks. He wanted one that was accurate, clear, well organized, and at a level that could be profitably read without his having to hand hold the students by explaining the text during lecture time. If that meant the text was somewhat below the level of what he wanted for the full strength of the course it was OK, he was there to put in the tougher stuff. Every lecture he would give each of us a set of his own notes, usually six to eight legal pages. They not only included the detailed theorems and proofs he would present, but also good bibliographical references. This allowed him to spend his time in class discussing how what he provided us in the notes built upon the assigned reading, rather than regurgitating the text. Also we the students weren't expending energy and attention trying to jot down everything at flank speed.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by oldtrapper

Yup, paying twice shouldn't bother you. It's for the greater good.

Bother me? Yes it does. Greater good? Nope its for my kids good and nothing else....

My private education was 10 times better than the last 4 years of public education ever could have thought about being...what a joke public education was when I was in school. If we'd have had kids, they'd have never seen a public school....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O

Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by oldtrapper

Yup, paying twice shouldn't bother you. It's for the greater good.

Bother me? Yes it does. Greater good? Nope its for my kids good and nothing else....

My private education was 10 times better than the last 4 years of public education ever could have thought about being...what a joke public education was when I was in school. If we'd have had kids, they'd have never seen a public school....

;-{>8

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

The 'nuclear family', where have you gone?

Full Definition of nuclear family
: a family group that consists only of father, mother, and children

Per Merriam-Webster

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 1minute, 222Sako, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 51 invisible), 2,322 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,034
Posts18,500,661
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.