Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
RAS Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Calhoun,

Didn't look, yet.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
http://www.ckguns.com/

It just doesn't look "Savage" to me. Without documentation it's a "pig in a poke". It's interesting for sure.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Does it still have it's butt stock bolt too Jeff?

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
RAS Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
JeffG,

No, didn't check. Another thing I need to complete. This is like a part time job with all the tasks I am getting. Lol. Will look tonight and post.

Jeff

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Look's like the recoil lug idea didn't work.Might be one of Bill Ruger's experiments.

Last edited by sqweeler; 10/05/16.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Jeff does it fire?

LOL
RAS Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Jeff does it fire?

I elected to not fire it. It looks like it has been fired though.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by sqweeler
Look's like the recoil lug idea didn't work.Might be one of Bill Ruger's experiments.

wouldn't that be cool!

JeffG
RAS Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JeffG
Does it still have it's butt stock bolt too Jeff?

Took the buttplate off and it is solid underneath. Nothing on the plate. The word "Prototype" is stamped in the wood.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
How long have you owned the piece?

IC B3

RAS Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
All:

Yankee Armorer confirmed today with me that they sold the gun in the past to a collector. The details of that transaction are of course none of my business, and I didn't even bother to ask them. They also stated that they would be willing to buy it back, if I decided to sell to them.

I think I got enough info now. I will post a link to Gunbroker if I decide to go down that path.

RAS

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RAS
All:

I will post a link to Gunbroker if I decide to go down that path.

RAS

If?

LOL
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

WAY COOL.

kd

J
JTC Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I will put all of the speculation and guesstimating on this rifle to rest. It is a Savage prototype. It was created by a good friend who was a world record holder in benchrest competition, now living in Texas, that worked for Savage in the late 1960's. It was created to see if Savage could, or should, produce a lever gun to compete against the Winchester Model 88 lever gun. There is probably an entry for this in the R&D list but not applied to the gun. Peter Dowd did buy a great many of the R&D guns to sell and this was one of them. JTC

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well: there you have it.

Case closed.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
RAS Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JTC
I will put all of the speculation and guesstimating on this rifle to rest. It is a Savage prototype. It was created by a good friend who was a world record holder in benchrest competition, now living in Texas, that worked for Savage in the late 1960's. It was created to see if Savage could, or should, produce a lever gun to compete against the Winchester Model 88 lever gun. There is probably an entry for this in the R&D list but not applied to the gun. Peter Dowd did buy a great many of the R&D guns to sell and this was one of them. JTC

Well there goes another $25. LOL.

RAS Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
ALSO,

I was right when I referenced that Savage was trying to compete with the Win 88.

Its better to be lucky than good. smile

JTC: PM sent.

Take care,
Jeff

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Awesome, that's one where theories would have swirled around for years.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
sticky Rick!..make this a Savage Collector's sticky! all future research will depend solely on internet references (...god help us all...)

JeffG
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In looking closely at the photos of the receiver I think the 99C was an easier platform for this prototype than the rotary magazine models. All of the metal that supported the rotary would have to have been left. By taking that metal out the stock could be thicker on each side of the action and therefore stronger. This can be seen by looking at the photos that look down into the receiver area of the stock. David

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

148 members (1_deuce, 2500HD, 5sdad, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 25 invisible), 1,897 guests, and 965 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,976
Posts18,499,489
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.