Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
buwaahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaa!!!!!

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

KMS Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JJHACK
I'm likely headed to Belize for a while and might want to consider driving, and if realistic towing my 22' camp trailer to stay in while there.

Anyone ever drive through Mexico to Belize?

Oh sure. What a great idea. Pulling a camper even.

Kelly
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
N-o F-ing W-ay

Kind of what I was thinking. You could make the trip without a serious incident 9 times, and then there's that 10th.

Lot of desperate people here and in that country.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I'll hold your wallet. BAD IDEA, Hack.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
What a bunch of a pansies. My aunt did that drive 2 years ago in a Mercedes.

You'll have a blast!

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Hell yeah

Slap a Trump sticker on your bumper.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
N-o F-ing W-ay

This X 10.

I was asked to work in Mexico about 6 years ago. I had plans to do the work but I wasn't allowed to go by my boss. He said I wasn't expendable. They asked for volunteers from a group I'd trained and got a volunteer. He worked in and out of the country for about a year and then bailed. He said driving past a "compound" with headless bodies laying outside twice was enough. He had to have guards around their office to deter kidnapping. I thought it was BS but it was verified by a few others. I'd think dragging a trailer that schithole would be like wearing a steak suit in the lion cage.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
With our self fulfilling prophecy to be a third world country, we had better get used to dangerous areas like Mexico has.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ditto to Rick Bin and others. I wouldn't do it now, at our point in history and I sure wouldn't take a woman along.

FWIW I've been to 35 countries, some of them pretty sketchy where we had to hire armed guards with AK's etc. I'd fly to Belize.

An acquaintance did a hunt in Mexico a few years ago and was politely robbed at gunpoint by one of the hunt crew, the good guys. With a rifle pointed at his belly he was informed about some extra fees. I got charged double at a campground in Mexico and my Mexican camping partner stopped my objections. He was scared, told me to pay again and let's get out of there. Small change compared to what could happen on an isolated road.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have hunted in old Mex every year since 1973. Last season I went half a dozen times, for a weekend each time. I keep a 22-foot trailer down there exclusively for hunting. I am contemplating a saltwater flyfishing trip down there as we speak. The hunting and fishing can be world class.

But Mexico is not a place to make a rookie mistake, especially over the last dozen or so years. You gotta know where you are, where you can go and where you can't, and keep your eyes open and be aware of surroundings at ALL times. Speaking some Spanish helps tons. Having local connections helps too. I (probably foolishly) delude myself with the fact that I am normally legally armed when I am down there. I feel good with a twelve-gauge.

And even then, every trip when I cross the border back into the US, I am big-time relieved.

Towing a trailer through the entire country means inevitably traveling through danger zones unwittingly, attracting attention, and probably traveling at night -- all big no-nos. The lookouts will have you pegged early.

I repeat: I wouldn't do it. Asking for trouble, Jim. If your destination is Belize, do yourself a favor and fly over Mexico completely.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I'm likely headed to Belize for a while and might want to consider driving

r u some kinda nut?

Last edited by sse; 10/06/16.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by RickBin
I have hunted in old Mex every year since 1973. Last season I went half a dozen times, for a weekend each time. I keep a 22-foot trailer down there exclusively for hunting. I am contemplating a saltwater flyfishing trip down there as we speak. The hunting and fishing can be world class.

But Mexico is not a place to make a rookie mistake, especially over the last dozen or so years. You gotta know where you are, where you can go and where you can't, and keep your eyes open and be aware of surroundings at ALL times. Speaking some Spanish helps tons. Having local connections helps too. I (probably foolishly) delude myself with the fact that I am normally legally armed when I am down there. I feel good with a twelve-gauge.

And even then, every trip when I cross the border back into the US, I am big-time relieved.

Towing a trailer through the entire country means inevitably traveling through danger zones unwittingly, attracting attention, and probably traveling at night -- all big no-nos. The lookouts will have you pegged early.

I repeat: I wouldn't do it. Asking for trouble, Jim. If your destination is Belize, do yourself a favor and fly over Mexico completely.

Mirrors my thoughts also.

I have spent a lot of time in South America. Some very sketchy area. Lot's of crime, kidnappings, property crimes etc. I feel and have felt pretty comfortable in Colombia, Brazil, Uruguay, Chile, Argentina etc. Heck, I really want to go to Venezuela. Went on vacation to Belize a few years ago. Ready to go back in a heartbeat.

Under no circumstance would I drive the length of Mexico in a vehicle with US plates and dragging a trailer to boot. As one guy aptly put it, that would be like wearing a steak suit through a lion pen.

I would love to travel through Mexico in a private vehicle. But given the current state of affairs there, the absolute violence not any time soon.

Montana MOFO
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was down on the river south of Valentine last weekend. All the little farms across the river have been taken by the Cartels. They just moved in, took the cattle to market after running the owners off.

Even the Mexicans with green cards won't go across the river anymore. I was told that it's that way from Presidio to Ft Hancock. The Border Patrol doesn't venture far south of Hwy 90.

Each year the border moves a little farther North.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
If I was a dirt poor hippy driving a POS beater I might consider the trip as I would likely be considered not worth messing with.

A gringo with a nice truck and trailer is just asking for it.

soon as you cross the border the |Mexican telegraph will be alerted and you screwed.

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
This is what happens when corrupt politicians are able to take over the government without opposition, and in partnership with criminal cabals, global corporations and corrupt law enforcement, strip citizens of their basic human rights and dignity, confiscate the wealth of the country, allow criminals free reign and commit unspeakable acts upon the populace.

The citizenry needs to rise up and take back their country.

Mexico has a similar problem.

"Supernatural divinities are the primitive's answer to why the sun goes down at night..."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Boogaloo
This is what happens when corrupt politicians are able to take over the government without opposition, and in partnership with criminal cabals, global corporations and corrupt law enforcement, strip citizens of their basic human rights and dignity, confiscate the wealth of the country, allow criminals free reign and commit unspeakable acts upon the populace.

The citizenry needs to rise up and take back their country.

Mexico has a similar problem.

"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to really be sure..."

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Being right next to Guatemala, how good is Belize?

Islam is a terrorist organization.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've spent a lot of time in Mex, and once I was a hour or two past the border, only thing I would sweat would be the Topes and other general road conditions, which would be tough on a trailer. Cuotas are in good shape, and would be the way to go, as far as you can.

I'd also ask at a forum where people actually do this type of thing, not just sit on a couch wringing their hands and watching faux news.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
good to see you post amigo.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 163bc, 1936M71, 1234, 62 invisible), 2,264 guests, and 1,299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,997
Posts18,499,993
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.