Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 17 18
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
These threads crack me up.

As long as the hunt is represented accurately, who cares? Looking at the website, and Jorge/Pugs/Hatari's report, it seems obvious that nothing is hidden. If the OP missed what was being sold, it seems to be a 100% on him.

If you're ok with shooting livestock, wild as it may or may not be, have at it. Have fun and enjoy it. Make it an experience. Take home some great meat and a rack.

If not, don't.

Can't see the point of hand wringing.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by MadMooner

As long as the hunt is represented accurately, who cares?

I care. Because it's not a dann hunt. Never was, never will be.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sure it was. It was a hunt for elk in an enclosure. Maybe even non-wild ranch reared elk.

Hell, I hunted for my car keys yesterday morning. Lol.

Nobody lied to you about what it was or was not. Don't like it? Don't do it. If the practice of game ranching bothers you too much to sit idley by, I'd suggest contacting your legislature , or maybe PETA.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by jorgeI
None of us fell of the sugar cane cart last night. Like I said... We went into this with eyes WIDE OPEN. We also knew that in order to maximize success, we would probably have to upgrade and we did. Some of you folks are SO FORTUNATE to live in great places like Montana, Idaho, NM, etc and more importantly, HAVE THE TIME to invest in a wilderness hunt. We do not.
Suffice to say and my friends have echoed, we worked our butts off going up and down terrain we are not accustomed to, not to mention the altitude, and in the end and most of all what matters to ME, I worked for my elk and a 330 yard shot is the same here as it is anywhere else, including the moon.

Jorge. Your hunt was your hunt. I'm fine with that. But to say you don't have time to invest in a wilderness hunt is disingenuous.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I have two weeks vacation/year that I must divide between visiting my parents in Miami (95 & 93), my wife's family in Pensacola and their cabin in the PA mountains and hunting. Do the math. I get to do DIY hunting here in south Georgia on the weekends during hunting season, and year round for hogs. It really doesn't matter. When I go to Africa and where I go is about as "wilderness" as one can get, I still get the business from some folks because we have to use a PH. Lesson here is if I were to suddenly announce I walk on water, somebody would chime in and say "yeah, that's because you can't swim"...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
NOBODY, certainly not me, has called the OP a liar. I'm sorry this thread has upset you, and I'll try not to let the fact you don't want to hunt with us get to me....

Mad Mooner: SPOT ON.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Jorge,it's kind of mind-boggling that people are pissed at how others spend their money. You,Pugs and Hatari went on a elk hunt,killed a bull apiece and had fun. Someone else did the same hunt and did not get a bull or even have fun,and some how that's a pox on the three of you.

Been on plenty of elk hunts on public land and not even see a bull. Do I complain to NMG&F for me not killing a bull or demand my money back. No,that's hunting,take it or leave it. I enjoyed being away from civilization for a few days and just being "out there."

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Originally Posted by MadMooner

As long as the hunt is represented accurately, who cares?

I care. Because it's not a dann hunt. Never was, never will be.

Do you consider hunting the Vermjo, Moreno Valley, CS etc. the same as hunting public land? Yes, I get they are all fair chase and free range, but the outcome of those hunts are pretty well guaranteed as well.

Not a dig, but I can't see knocking a guy for how he chooses to spend his money.

Especially when they were honest up front about it.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Jorge,it's kind of mind-boggling that people are pissed at how others spend their money......

Been on plenty of elk hunts on public land and not even see a bull. Do I complain to NMG&F for me not killing a bull or demand my money back. No,that's hunting,take it or leave it.

I haven't seen anyone say they're pissed at Jorge and his group for how they chose to spend their time and money.

I think the second part of your quote gets to the issue people have--whether it fits their definition of hunting. Or "the" definition of hunting.

If the animals are free-ranging that's one thing. If they were raised like cattle, that's another.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Sure it was. It was a hunt for elk in an enclosure. Maybe even non-wild ranch reared elk.

Yea, whats the big deal? A good cattle prod gets 'em out of the box......and a decent taxidermist can fix any resulting rack dings from the stock truck. All in jest.

But, never say never.

When the 'deplorable' local country clubbers ask why I never took up golf....we always insist on the possibility of taking up the sport....when too old to hunt/fish.

They always take it as an insult, like we wouldn't golf unless we were one leg out of the crypt.....that even a near-dead, old geezer can golf.

And really didn't mean it that way.....OK, yes I did.

Most anyone that has hunted RSA is familiar with enclosures.

One of my personal goals is to give all 5 sons opportunities at hunting/taking mature Whitetail deer, Mule Deer, Elk, Pronghorn, and Black Bear.

Throwing out more money could maybe make things easier......but elk shouldn't be easy anyway.

Like golf, no elk fences for me, not now anyway.

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by smokepole

If the animals are free-ranging that's one thing. If they were raised like cattle, that's another.

I was able to walk up on cattle whilst there. The elk, the closest I was able to get was 300 yards or they launched.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Jorge, like I said earlier, it's possible that you and the OP had entirely different experiences, with some animals free-ranging and some not.

And I will say this--the reason the OP gave for his post was (in so many words), because he's concerned about the future of hunting and doesn't want hunters to get a bad reputation for the things he observed and described in his post.

Well, your account had none of those things in it, and his did. So if we're all so worried about what non-hunters think of us, which post (yours or the OP's) on a public forum has the most potential to damage our reputation with the non-hunting public?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Jorge, like I said earlier, it's possible that you and the OP had entirely different experiences, with some animals free-ranging and some not.

And I will say this--the reason the OP gave for his post was (in so many words), because he's concerned about the future of hunting and doesn't want hunters to get a bad reputation for the things he observed and described in his post.

Well, your account had none of those things in it, and his did. So if we're all so worried about what non-hunters think of us, which post on a public forum has the most potential to damage our reputation with the non-hunting public?

Non-hunting public is not our concern. The anti-hunters are. And they don't care why or how you hunt. They want to stop you!

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ringman

Well, your account had none of those things in it, and his did. So if we're all so worried about what non-hunters think of us, which post on a public forum has the most potential to damage our reputation with the non-hunting public?

Non-hunting public is not our concern. The anti-hunters are. And they don't care why or how you hunt. They want to stop you!

No. If anything non-hunting public is the most important sector. They are really the most influential segment.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Fair enough .

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Exactly right Alamosa. Sure the anti's want to stop us, but nothing we say or do will change their minds because they are not open to reason. I don't really care what they think, they're so ignorant and emotional that their opinions don't mean squat to me.

And they can't do diddly on their own, they need to get enough of the non-hunting public on their side to effect any change.

It's the non-hunters, the undecideds who can be swayed by things like the OP described that we need to concern ourselves with.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wish the OP would follow up with more about his gripes. I’m trying to read between the lines and see if I understand his main complaints correctly.

It sounds like he expected to hunt a 5000 acre enclosure (that is not as big as it sounds but sporting enough). Instead he felt the bulls were herded into small canyons. I don’t think the ranch could make a profit if they allowed hunters to wander the entire enclosure and be selective.

The OP describes the upgrade thing like it was kind of like ordering off a menu beforehand and kind of a hard sell.

I think he also objects that it is a little too much like a slaughterhouse assembly line process with hunters queued up for the next bull to be herded to them (if that is actually how it really was).

The overriding concern of the OP seems to be the representation of hunters, et al., but it sounds like customers are lining up with checkbooks open for this service. The market often dictates a lot. When other customers here seem to be happy with the service then I think those last couple sentences, i.e., ‘we won’t survive’, and, ‘antis finish us off’, might be a little too heavy on the drama. Might have been better for him to say it just wasn’t what he wanted/expected because his own post may be the most damaging testimony to ‘hunters’.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
It sounds like he expected to hunt a 5000 acre enclosure (that is not as big as it sounds but sporting enough).

5,000 acres is about three miles square on each side. That is way! more land than most city and suburban folks think about.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Looks like the Ranch was emptied in 2015. So much for any native 'free-rangers'.

Aren't there ANY cow elk on the Ranch?

THURSDAY , FEBRUARY 19, 2015:
The first penned elk with the fatal brain ailment was found among 11 elk tested from the former Utah State University and Denver Bronco star defensive lineman's Broadmouth Canyon Ranch near Liberty in Ogden Valley. It was among nine taken by hunters. After the CWD was confirmed, the two remaining elk were shot by ranch hands so they could be tested.

Testing for CWD is also set to begin for the 20-plus deer and two moose from Jones' preserve. They were wild game -- state property -- which were found inside Jones' Broadmouth preserve while the infected elk was there.

State hunters just last week finished shooting the deer and moose inside the preserve, officials said, removing the carcasses for the CWD-testing.

link

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by jorgeI
I have two weeks vacation/year that I must divide between visiting my parents in Miami (95 & 93), my wife's family in Pensacola and their cabin in the PA mountains and hunting. Do the math. I get to do DIY hunting here in south Georgia on the weekends during hunting season, and year round for hogs. It really doesn't matter. When I go to Africa and where I go is about as "wilderness" as one can get, I still get the business from some folks because we have to use a PH. Lesson here is if I were to suddenly announce I walk on water, somebody would chime in and say "yeah, that's because you can't swim"...

Fair enough. I apologize.

Page 4 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 51 invisible), 2,078 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,040
Posts18,482,036
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.