Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Looking for a bit of help trying to decode my recent load workups. I understand that none of my groups below are
horrible and are all easily MOE (minute of elk) however I'd feel more confident with my rifle and my ammo with tighter more
consistent groups.

I purchased this rifle new a few years ago and tried working up loads with 225gr Hornady Interbonds.
I didn't have much luck with this combo and seemed to spray bullets in every direction. I was discouraged and put the
rifle aside until now.

All 3-shot groups were fired off a steady rest on a concrete bench using the same shooting technique at 100 yards.

Rifle is: Rem 700 BDL (factory barrel) in 338 Winchester mag.

Reloads are:
* Barnes TTSX 210gr
* H4350 powder (70-72.5gr)
* CCI 250 primers
* Winchester brass (new)
* bullets seated 0.060 off lands (top of case neck in the top bullet cannelure)

With my reloads in most other rifles, there is a very distinct pattern and easy to see groups which show potential and which
ones to focus on.

In this particular case, there were a bunch of very 3-shot similar groups. My first group using 70gr of powder must have had 1 crazy flyer
since I could only find 2 holes, so I re-shot that load again at the end.

At the very least, I'm going to try loading up a bit of heavier charged loads for my next time out. Maybe try a 73, 73.5 and a 74gr load.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm218/Mad_Mikee/338xcr/load1-1_zpscujmrd87.jpg[/img]

GB1

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
2nd group seat bullets deeper-
3rd group seat bullets further out-
4th group seat bullets deeper-
5th and 6th group seat bullets further out-

what is the OAL of the loaded rounds saying seating .060 doesn't help much. Barnes recommends 3.340 in past experience with barnes bullets they have been damn near spot on when it comes to OAL.

Last edited by 79S; 10/13/16.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by 79S

what is the OAL of the loaded rounds saying seating .060 doesn't help much. Barnes recommends 3.340 in past experience with barnes bullets they have been damn near spot on when it comes to OAL.

I'm at 3.34 OAL based on the Barnes info.

I came up with the 0.060 off lands using a Sinclair bullet seating depth tool.

I was hoping to start at 0.050 off the lands but 0.060 seemed pretty good when I used the recommended OAL.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Sometimes Barnes needs a "big" jump (>.100) to the lands....might be worth a try.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I use the Berger method even when I'm not using Berger bullets. IME seating depth has a huge impact on accuracy.

http://www.bergerbullets.com/getting-the-best-precision-and-accuracy-from-vld-bullets-in-your-rifle/

I start with the max book charge, load one round and test fire for pressure signs. If none, I follow the Berger method. I recently did this using 160 NAB for my brother's 7mm Rem Mag. He killed a 25" 4x4 mulie last week at 534 yards with this load.

[Linked Image]

See my experience with a .30-06. All I changed was the seating depth.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
IC B2

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
I know seating depth makes a huge difference.

I usually work up my loads in 0.5gr powder increments from median recommended value to max load.

99% of the time I'll see something promising in there.

After that, I'll head back out with a few more focused loads.

Next time out, seating depth changes but with the same powder charge.

I know there is about 100 different ways to find a load your rifle will like. Just seemed to be the way I do it now.

I'm always willing to try something new though.

Was actually considering a "ladder" test but chickened out at the last minute and went with my tried and trusted method.

I've also cross-posted on another Gun Forum I'm a member of and have had quite a few suggestions.

Definitely excited to get a few more rounds loaded up and head back out.

805 Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A ladder or OCW test would have been less rounds than what you shot there. Anyway try seating them deeper with your current charges or increase powder charge and test some more. Then test seating depth with higher charges if they show more promise than your other charges. Also Barnes like to be pushed so I'd lean toward higher charges first.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mad_Mikee
I know seating depth makes a huge difference.

I usually work up my loads in 0.5gr powder increments from median recommended value to max load.

99% of the time I'll see something promising in there.

After that, I'll head back out with a few more focused loads.

Next time out, seating depth changes but with the same powder charge.

I know there is about 100 different ways to find a load your rifle will like. Just seemed to be the way I do it now.

I'm always willing to try something new though.

Was actually considering a "ladder" test but chickened out at the last minute and went with my tried and trusted method.

I've also cross-posted on another Gun Forum I'm a member of and have had quite a few suggestions.

Definitely excited to get a few more rounds loaded up and head back out.

I'd do it the way you always have- work up to max in your rifle, then experiment with seating depth at whatever charge near max seems most promising. But when playing with seating depth I'd broaden your parameters. I've had some rifles that shot Barnes best at 0.130" off the lands, and others that shot best with them a few thou off the lands. Most shoot extremely well at or close to the 0.050" suggested by Barnes. You might also want to try IMR4350 instead of H, as well as IMR4831. Those powders have produced tack-driving loads for me with that bullet in the .338WM.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (10ring1, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 56 invisible), 2,565 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,577
Posts18,492,049
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.