Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Before I moved out here to WA in 2006, I shot my bow nearly daily. The last 10 years I shot maybe 10 arrows. Lol.

Anyway, I have been wanting to shoot more again and dusted off the bow. String was a bit rough, serving was pretty worn around the cams. I figured it was time to get new strings. That took me to the bow shop and of course I walked out with new string and cable....attached to a new bow.

Excited about my new toy and getting back into archery!

Lots of new stuff in the last decade!

Thinking about trying a single pin sight. Anybody here use one for hunting?

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, I know how THAT happens. wink

I plan dvdegeorge; it's his fault.

So, whatchaget?

Oh, and lots of folks are running single pin (I'm just not one of them - yet).

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
A G5 Quest Drive
Old stock. I think it was a 2014 model. Sportsmans Whorehouse had it marked down to a point I figured what the hell. Quite a difference from my old Darton!

Bought a TT Smackdown Pro rest off of Archery Talk today. Kinda shopping for a single pin to put on it.

Gonna be all fancy! Lol.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ha! Had a similar occurrence with a Prime Impact. Hell of a step up from an old Hoyt (which is still a nice bow).

Heading out to see if I can get something to suicide in front of the Prime this morning. Getting caffeinated first, then out the door and to a tree.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Nice!

Our general rifle season starts tomorrow (today). Full moon and a little typhoon spinning ashore. Going to sit this one out.

IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I run a single pin sight and have for many years,I love it no clutter no confusion
HHA Optimizer it's an adjustable but I don't move it when hunting I know my hold out to 35-40 yds and rarely shoot at deer that far

[Linked Image]

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I am currently running a Copper John MarkIV. Have been using the single pin sight for about 10 years now and really like the idea of no clutter in the field of view.

I have tried the Trophy Ridge, MBG, Tru-Glo and I can say I prefer the Copper John over the rest.

Using a .019 pin and it is small, Copper John does not flare the end of their fibers. Another sight that caught my eye and I want to look at is the new HHA Cadet. I like the way you don't have to mount the quiver off of the bracket to clear the slider.

I lock my sight to 18-20 yards when hunting. None of my stands offer much over a 25 yard shot and even to 30 its a just a touch over center hold to drop an arrow in the vitals.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by MadMooner

Thinking about trying a single pin sight. Anybody here use one for hunting?

Yep. Depending one what you got you'll be able to have the pin set to 25-30 yards.

I don't have good eyes so I have a 20, 30, and 40yds pin because I won't shoot further than that.

Camp is where you make it.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
I've only used a single pin since the 80s. Set for 15 or 16 steps.

Thats as far as I'll shoot, our deer are wickedly fast and edgy.

While the ability to shoot small groups is there for me, out to long yardages, the deer will move.

For longer shots on hogs I just hold over as needed, and i've yet to be let down, but even on pigs I won't shoot past about 25.

My pin is so old I"ve no clue, probably PSE from circa 80s also.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For me the HHA XL5519 is the ticket...

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I really dig the HHA Optimizer with the dial. Good Lord though, cost about what I paid for the bow!

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I really dig the HHA Optimizer with the dial. Good Lord though, cost about what I paid for the bow!

And weighs almost as much as the bow too.

Railroad iron tough from what I have seen though.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A G5 Quest Drive
Old stock. I think it was a 2014 model. Sportsmans Whorehouse had it marked down to a point I figured what the hell. Quite a difference from my old Darton!

Bought a TT Smackdown Pro rest off of Archery Talk today. Kinda shopping for a single pin to put on it.

Gonna be all fancy! Lol.

I just got the same one a few months ago. My story is pretty much the same as yours. It's a bad ass bow. I set it up at 63#, Whisker Bisquit, 3 pin Hit Man sight, Stinger Stabilizer, Carbon Express Maxima Reds, Slick Trick Magnums.

Hopefully you don't need 28" modules because G5 didn't have any. I went with the 27-271/2" ones and glad I did. String loop took care of the extra 1/2".

Shoots very well and is way beyond what I had years ago. You won't be disappointed.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Nice! From the Sportsmans Whorehouse?

I pull 29.5 and the bow was set up about perfect for me. Haven't scaled mine, or checked the tiller yet. I'll have to put a wrench on it today. Little card said 29/60.

I shot quite a few bows and really liked this one. Only thing I'd change is to add a few more inches from ATA. Seems most folks like short bows today as most are 32" or under. Hell, at 33.5", its already one of the longer hunting bows I saw.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yup. $349, half off. Don't want to know all the ins and outs, been down that road. Shot it, liked it. Just got back from dialing in the slick tricks. All is well and done...

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Same deal. Shot a couple bows that were over twice the price. Honestly can't say I liked any of them better. That, and I'm a cheap SOB. Lol.

Was going to pick up some broad heads this week as well. The Slicktricks seem to get a lot of love.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Seemed like a no brainer to me, keep it simple.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How's your shoulder holding up? Mines a phuqqin train wreck...

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
No sweat. That's why I bought a 60 pound bow!

Been shooting my old Darton the last week waiting on a couple things for the new bow. It's set around 65. Only have a few arrows for it though, so I take a few minutes every few shots.

The new bow draws so much nicer.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, it's nice. The gal that set mine up adjusted the stops so that it doesn't want to jump at full draw. Something about wall yadda, yadda. It was a "try this, now try this, which do you like better?" kind of deal. And I didn't know to let the stop kiss the string, but took care of it.

Kinda interesting when a cutie schools you on hunting equipment. No complaints either!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 65 invisible), 2,571 guests, and 1,373 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,448
Posts18,470,996
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.