Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 18 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 17 18
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Also, come to think of it, his post in Africa on 01/25/14 seem oddly phrased for a guy who claims to be a PH. Or, maybe I'm reading it wrong.

Sure does. As to his level of interest in what's said here, he's been on as recently as 10-14. So it appears that he has some interest in what's being said, but no interest in responding.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Steelhead once said that "guys here would argue over the blessing...!"

He was right.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
YOU CAN NOT MASS PRODUCE GOOD HUNTING

However you can give some folks the illusion of it - which is what the majority of New Zealand elk "hunting" outfits do.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Was anyone driving an Avalanche?

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
CWD has never been found in ID but it has in UT.

Right you are. This is interesting reading:

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2006/sep/07/escaped-elk-cause-for-concern/

that was 10 years ago. At the time, Sen. Jim Risch was governor of ID. Rammel wasn't having much luck capturing his escaped elk so Risch issued a carte blanche on any eartagged elk. They could be shot on sight, no tag needed. Rammel threatened to sue any hunter who shot one. Even though it was legal, no one wanted the expense of defending himself in court. CWD wasn't the issue, though. They didn't want the farm elk genes diluting the wild elk.

I never heard if Rammel ever captured them all. Tame elk can get wild very fast if pushed. Rammel later ran for governor to get even but was soundly thrashed in the primaries.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Calvin
Originally Posted by 201k
I left Broadmouth Canyon the morning Jorge and his group arrived. I am sure Broadmouth were on best behavior after my hunt, I mean slaughter, it’s not hunting. Long report, please be patient and read the following.

With any group of people, organization, or company you have a few bad apples. For self-preservation and integrity from time to time you have to weed the garden. With modern social media our passion and sport is under severe attack and fighting for its life. We cannot tolerate bad apples.
I am an older very successful retired professional hunter, outfitter, and worldwide hunter. Please excuse me for saying that but it’s just a way to say, “I have been there done that”, and qualified to observe fair chase hunting through a good lens and perspective. Please read the following and act to save our sport. You can imagine what will happen when the antis get a hold of this. This report is not about me, it’s about our future.
I booked a 3 Day elk hunt with Rulon Jones, Sept. 22-24 2016. and his outfit Broadmouth Canyon. I hesitate to call it a hunt as it was more like herding, terrorizing, yelling, screaming and shooting domestic cattle. Broadmouth Canyon is a 5000-acre high fence elk operation owned by Rulon Jones. 5000 acres is pushing it, 10 hunters were on top of each other. I recently booked an elk hunt and little did I know they book 20 hunters every 6 days. Rulon’s son stated they hunt from Aug thru Nov. Folks that’s 320 bulls. They kill so many trucked in elk, they collect the guts after gutting in a barrel, haul them out of the field, later placing them in a large trash bag and haul them off to a dump site so the next group of hunters don’t know of the carnage with all of the gut piles laying around. They tell the naïve hunters they are for bear bait if the truck is discovered. Chase, Rulon’s son, took me to the bear bait, a 55 gallon barrel where table scraps are placed. One of many lies to follow.
I requested their best guide, which turned out to be Rulon’s son Chase, who actually runs the operation. Rulon only rarely shows up and does not even talk to or acknowledges the hunters when he walks by. One day I accompanied a hunter who paid $70,000.00 to shoot a 490 bull. I turned to Chase, and said what’s this guy’s name, and he didn’t even know his name. Each hunter has a guide equipped with a radio. When you book a hunt you pay a base price and pay more on a sliding scale as your checkbook and choice dictate and they try to get you to upgrade. First morning, me and Chase see a bull he says will score 390 in the distance. I said let’s get a closer look and he responds that he does not like that bull and we stay put. You are not given time to examine the bulls but told ballpark of score and hurry up and shoot, as they are hoping for an upgrade. If I am going to pay $14000 to shoot a pet bull, I damn sure want to look at him first. One morning, four of us go out together on the atv. We are on the road and a bull is laying down 75 yards off the road looking right at us. Chase says he will score 420. We watch several minutes with atv running, let 2 people out and turn around and leave. The whole time the bull is still there thru all of the commotion. Upon leaving, I asked Chase how he judged the size with the bull looking right at us. He said, “Oh I know that bull, seen him several times”. I’m sure he has. If you want a bull that scores 396, no problem, they will show the picture of your bull, then tell you to sit right here and they drive him to you. That is what they did to me, and ironically every hunter got the exact size he ordered prior in his contract unless he succumbed to pressure to upgrade. They upload your bull into another pasture and drive him to you. Do the math, where do that many bulls come from. I know that’s hunting, just a coincidence, yeah right. They put hunters on ambush spots, Chase orchestrates all of the other guides from a vantage point.
They surround the elk on ATVs with 10 guides and slaughter commence via constant radio chatter with the other guides harassing and herding the bulls whooping and hollering like a bunch of wild Indians. Chase says the bulls went 50 yards this way, tells guide to go this way or that, wait-stop, no, go the other way with periodic interruptions with the guides saying what do you want me to do now. At first they try to be discreet but by the last day it’s a full scale rodeo with all of the guides whooping, hollering, harassing and chasing the bulls per radio instructions to sitting hunters in ambush locations. Rulon shows up last morning and the word from Chase is “brown is down”. Too much money at stake, they have to complete the slaughter and here comes Rulon walking up the canyons yelling “hey bull, hey bull” over and over, driving the elk to positioned hunters.
Their favorite method is to opposition hunters on the high fence in a pincher point, then drive the bulls to them along the fence. One day they positioned 3 of us together on an ambush point alone along the high fence then all the whooping and hollering begins. I am thinking how is going to work? I ask Chase how we are to decide and who shoots and who is to communicate? Each of us had paid for a different size bull so that’s why us three were together. Chase says this is going to happen fast. He will judge the bull and tell which hunter to shoot. No one shoots. We return to the Lodge early afternoon. One of the hunters says he wants to go back out. Chase says no, no one is available. At dinner that evening one of the hunters not in our group starts retelling his kill which Chase conducted after taking us three back to the lodge. Liars never learn, the truth always comes out.
After Rulon avoided the hunters the whole hunt, Chase tells me his dad has shown up to help glass on the last morning. Actually he is there to deliver the bulls preordered as needed. Chase tells me that morning Rulon has spotted a 490 bull and another hunter is going to shoot it and let’s go see what else is with that bull. So we go to a deep wooded canyon that dead ends into the high fence with only one way is out towards the hunter so they can drive the bull to him. It is so thick with trees the hunter cannot actually see what is happening. You hear a bugle; they say this is the 490 bull. Actually it’s Rulon and Chase signaling each other to begin the circus. A bugle “ok we’re in position” Another bugle “turn him loose”. All the while the naïve hunter is excited. No bull shows up, another bugle to tell Rulon he has stopped, push him on out. Back and forth bugles between Rulon and the guides. Ironically this is the only bugling I hear in 3 days. You figure it out. It was Rulon signaling the guides. Finally, the 490 bull walks out going 90 degrees away. The excited hunter shoots and gets his bull. He is told they called the bull up when in fact he was driven from the thick brush in the corner. Chase turns to me and says there is a 420 bull that was with the 490, do I want to shoot him? You mean this unseen 420 bull just hangs behind for me to shoot throughout all this commotion, shooting and celebrating! Hey, it’s my lucky day. I say no, and Chase says a little girl is going to come shoot him. Let’s go. The girl, her father and the guide come walking up on the side of the mountain where we are sitting, pass us and get ready to shoot the bull as I am leaving. How do they just appear out of nowhere and know exactly where we are sitting like magic (gps and radio communication by guides). Not the first time showing for this movie, I have seen it before. This yet to be seen 420 bull is one patient SOB, hiding during the 490 bull’s slaughter, waiting for me to turn him down and another hunter to make the journey to shoot it. The bugling commences again signaling, turn him loose, the hunter is in position. The little girl gets her 420 bull.
I watch this slaughter and harassment until I am literally sick to my stomach. No I did not shoot a bull. I am a hunter. The last afternoon I try to be a gentlemen and say I am too sick to go out. I tell my wife who accompanied me, I will just keep my mouth shut, take my screwing and leave. Chase really pushes the issue as I am the last hunter not to shot a bull. Chase shows me a picture of a bull on his phone at the lodge, states he scores 396 and says how does this look. He says it’s no problem being sick, all I have to do is sit in one spot, no problem and the guides will drive him to me. Chase really pushes the issue because Rulon wants to make an extra $6000.00 upgrade to shoot the bull. They were so persistent I tell Chase to get Rulon, and we will have a conversation. I am really sick of my stomach by now and cannot take anymore.
We get together and I tell Rulon this is not hunting and more like professional wrestling and herding cattle. Throughout the hunt Chase and Rulon profess to being Christians. Upon my comment Rulon becomes belligerent, gets in my face, curses and all of a sudden he’s no longer a Christian. Not buying his bullying, I step up to the plate and put my face to his face. Boy, the look on his face, he is not used to this being a football player and celebrity. Many of the other hunters were equally disappointed, naive and or too embarrassed that they had made a mistake and conned. Damn, the cook tells my wife the same thing happened on the last hunt. Really nice couple on the hunt, all of a sudden they are irate and the fireworks begin upon discovering the hoax. Hey, money trumps ethics for some folks.
Fellows believe what you want, but it’s time to weed the garden and preserve our sport and passion. It’s not about me. I have already got my screwing. Our sport is under siege. We will not survive conducting ourselves this way. Act now before the antis finish us off!

Amazing how this type of hunting floats so many guys boats.

These types of shoots are really pure laziness with a dash of ego stroking IMO.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by wwy
Smoke, thanks for mentioning cwd, although I think the biggest vector for it's initial spread was actually whitetail pens, not elk.

Mule deer, at CSU.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep. Deer in a pen that was previously used to hold sheep with scabies, I believe.

The deer then passed it on to wild deer, and it continues to spread.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I a m always stunned that folks don't sort out a hunt before they have sorted what is to come. A dumbazz is a dumbpazz every time.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by jimy
Was anyone driving an Avalanche?

That one caught me with my guard down....didn't see it coming. lol...

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by EdM
I a m always stunned that folks don't sort out a hunt before they have sorted what is to come. A dumbazz is a dumbpazz every time.

Spot on.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Yep. Deer in a pen that was previously used to hold sheep with scabies, I believe.

Scrapie is what the sheep had. The theory is, it mutated to CWD.

As far as any Avalanche sightings, there were none reported. But there were scattered reports of ass-shooting, and a seminar on annuities for the elderly so who knows?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Uber annuities!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
201K: The scenario you describe makes me sick also!
That is NOT Hunting!
Whether gorge says so or not.
Sad!
ALL... of the Big Game I have harvested in 58 years of Hunting have been fair chase - I would NOT even consider "high fence" type Hunts as "sporting".
Shame on those who put on and shame on those who partake of such crap!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

VG,

I value a lot of what you say on the Fire, but you are off base when you spout off about high fence operations not being sporting.

Perhaps the confusion on high fence operations is that there are so many different types for so many different species on many different sizes of operations.

I primarily hunt deer and antelope at home here in Alberta. In 2014, I was fortunate enough to hunt a number of different plains game in the Eastern Cape of South Africa. Most of the properties are game fenced. The wildlife belong to the property owners. Not only are they trying to keep their stock at home, they also want to maintain their range conditions by having a known quantity of game units on their range. The fences also help keep the local poachers out. I found that most farms/ranches that we went to fail to keep a totally secure game fence. Found a number of holes. The scale of the properties were quite large. After crossing a fence line to access a property, a fence NEVER! played a role in preventing the game I pursued from escaping. I am VERY! comfortable that the hunting was fairchase, it was just different from North America. In 2015 I hunted hogs in Florida on a night time hunt. There were fences, but nothing I considered as effectively pig proof. Another Hunter went there based on my hunt report and claims the pigs were in small pastures. I don't know, it was night time in the Florida swamps. We were using Starlight scopes. I come from a farming background and I was comfortable that the pigs were not confined.

Now coming from Montana, you probably have hunted antelope. I have seen more panicked antelope restricted from escape by four and five strand cattle fencing, than I did see plains game in Africa or hogs in Florida. As you know, antelope seldom will jump a fence, but they will crawl under where they are able to. I have seen hunters push antelope along fence lines to shooters posted near crossing points. Tell me which is more sporting!? Which is fair chase? Not a lot of difference in my opinion.

I think that North Americans need to get off their high horse about high fences. You may or may not choose to hunt a high fence operation, that is your option, but to exclude a legal form of hunting, is foolhardy. The antis are out to shut hunting down. Hunters need to stick together and not fracture over bow/rifle/hound/bait lines.

Just to finish off, since I saw my first add for this ranch, it was apparent to me it was a high fence, put and take operation. How the OP was confused, I'm not sure. Now if there is any semblance of veracity to his report, the operation is despicable. I have followed Jorge1, Hatari, and Pugs since I have been on the Fire. Some are ex military officers. I have a high degree of respect for them, and do not doubt their report. The question is, how can the OP's experience be so vastly different?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AB2506
The antis are out to shut hunting down. Hunters need to stick together and not fracture over bow/rifle/hound/bait lines.

Very true - but I am not sure all our preaching about hunting being good for wildlife in general will hold up for long if we are talking about captive raised animals, no matter how large a pasture they are turned loose in.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 458Win
Originally Posted by AB2506
The antis are out to shut hunting down. Hunters need to stick together and not fracture over bow/rifle/hound/bait lines.

Very true - but I am not sure all our preaching about hunting being good for wildlife in general will hold up for long if we are talking about captive raised animals, no matter how large a pasture they are turned loose in.

The antis don't care about anything except shutting down hunting. They don't need us to be fracture to raise cane. They don't see any difference in pen raised or open prairie animals. They are irrational.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Ringman,

Phil has it right - one can not mass produce good hunting.

Sportsman should NOT defend things that draw thier ethics into question, when they do our entire value system becomes questionable.

Principles are not a vote, they are what we stand for...
Unlike candidates you can pick your principles...
don't confuse the two.

When I introduce people to the sport, "sportsmanship" is the most important thing they learn.

Regards,
Spot

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
Ringman,

Phil has it right - one can not mass produce good hunting.

Sportsman should NOT defend things that draw thier ethics into question, when they do our entire value system becomes questionable.

Principles are not a vote, they are what we stand for...
Unlike candidates you can pick your principles...
don't confuse the two.

When I introduce people to the sport, "sportsmanship" is the most important thing they learn.

Regards,
Spot

You just don't get it. The antis don't care about any of your "ethics" or your friend's "ethics". They want to stop you and then take away your guns.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Ringman, I said it before and I'll say it again--its not the anti's we need to worry about, it's everybody else. If you don't believe that, ask me why we can't hunt bears in the spring in CO any more.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
The problem is "ethics" mean a lot of different things to different people.

To some, shooting deer over a feeder is not "ethical", shooting a bear over bait, running hounds.

A lot of traditional archers look down on compound bows and God forbid crossbows.

How many times has the argument been made here that long range hunting is not "ethical"?

Not defending high fenced hunts at all, but where do you draw the line on forcing your "ethics" on other people?

Not directed at anyone particular.

Page 10 of 18 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

298 members (1lesfox, 160user, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 24 invisible), 1,826 guests, and 1,087 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,391
Posts18,469,828
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.