Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
The Color this years not that good to warm and alot of rain, leaves are falling and still green! Should be Full color now, but just a bit over half where im at!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!

KFWA Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gophergunner
Originally Posted by RAS
Northern Michigan is absolutely gorgeous. I have lived all over the country, and could retire anywhere, and I am looking to retire from my current occupation to there next year.

Traverse City is the most populated of the areas up there. I would recommend the Petoskey area, which isnt that far away from there. Or Harbor Springs which is just across from the bay.

Crystal clear water. Excellent fishing both on the big lake and in the inland lakes if you have a boat. There are a number of blue ribbon trout streams. If you have an ATV, there is 100's of miles of designated trails. Excellent swimming in many lakes. Millions of acres of public land. Crime is extremely low. People are laid back.

It is an awesome place to spend a summer vacation. Though, Traverse City is good if you want shopping, which isnt my thing. There are many others, but I would recommend Petoskey or Harbor Springs. Beautiful sunsets. If golf is your thing, which I despise, then there are a ton of courses.

Boy, don't let Steelhead hear that. He might actually drag his knuckles out of the cave and go visit.

To each his own I guess.

We did almost a half day of horseback at Outrider this time around.

I saw some of those ATV trails and I am definitely bringing them up next year. I'm taking a week if I can.

Hell, I'm kinda like my wife right now, I'd like to make it a lifetime.

Last edited by KFWA; 10/17/16.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
KFWA Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by saddlering
The Color this years not that good to warm and alot of rain, leaves are falling and still green! Should be Full color now, but just a bit over half where im at!

yea, it was like I was 4 or 5 days too early for the fall colors to be in full effect.

People were telling me I was going late - and the area showed it , at least 4 places I went to were shutting down for the season after this weekend.

Global warming might extend that season up there by a few weeks. It was 83 on the drive back today.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by KFWA
Originally Posted by gophergunner
Originally Posted by RAS
Northern Michigan is absolutely gorgeous. I have lived all over the country, and could retire anywhere, and I am looking to retire from my current occupation to there next year.

Traverse City is the most populated of the areas up there. I would recommend the Petoskey area, which isnt that far away from there. Or Harbor Springs which is just across from the bay.

Crystal clear water. Excellent fishing both on the big lake and in the inland lakes if you have a boat. There are a number of blue ribbon trout streams. If you have an ATV, there is 100's of miles of designated trails. Excellent swimming in many lakes. Millions of acres of public land. Crime is extremely low. People are laid back.

It is an awesome place to spend a summer vacation. Though, Traverse City is good if you want shopping, which isnt my thing. There are many others, but I would recommend Petoskey or Harbor Springs. Beautiful sunsets. If golf is your thing, which I despise, then there are a ton of courses.

Boy, don't let Steelhead hear that. He might actually drag his knuckles out of the cave and go visit.

To each his own I guess.

I saw some of those ATV trails and I am definitely bringing them up next year. I'm taking a week if I can.

Hell, I'm kinda like my wife right now, I'd like to make it a lifetime.

You don't want to be there on the day that the black flies hatch out.

KFWA Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I remember when my father-law came up here to visit me for the first time - it was a cool crisp fall day and we sat around a big stone fireplace drinking cider at the local orchard, then went to a pumpkin festival. The next day we went hiking around some old indian mounds and he found some fossils, then we grilled some steaks, had some wine and went to a small village to get Raspberry Chocolate Chip ice cream.

By the end of the weekend, he was ready to move up here and told me to start looking at houses for him

I had to tell him "you know, not every weekend is like this up here"

I thought of him when my wife and I were like "lets move here". Still...I was blown away by this area.

Last edited by KFWA; 10/17/16.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just got back from my trip I talked about earlier on here.

Hit Boones in Traverse City Friday Night. I have mixed reviews on it. On a fall evening as the sun is going down its a cool place to hang out but I wasn't blown away by the food.

The drive from Traverse to Petoskey thru Charlevoix and then into Harbor Springs was great - even hit an apple festival in Charlevoix.

After Harbor Springs, took this road called Pleasant View and then 31 into Mackinaw City.

Had a great time and ended up on Mackinac Island on Sunday.

Just mile after mile of this.

[Linked Image]

Next year we're going back and I'm bringing a backpack. Enough of seeing it from the car, I want to get in the middle of it. Didn't have enough time to do what I wanted to as it was.

Nortwestern Michigan is great - 45th parallel!

Pleasantview rd. is a pretty enough stretch; drove it on the way home from working in Harbor Springs today.

You should have taken M-119 along the shore of Lake Michigan - it's a beautiful stretch of narrow blacktop often referred to as the tunnel of trees. It can get a bit twisty though, to the point where the driver doesn't get to enjoy the view much. Best plan is for one person to drive it north, then swap seats and let another person drive back south, or vice versa.

If you decide to come back, drop me a line. I live about 8 miles directly South of Mackinaw City. Maybe I can help with something.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
KFWA Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bruinruin
Just got back from my trip I talked about earlier on here.

Hit Boones in Traverse City Friday Night. I have mixed reviews on it. On a fall evening as the sun is going down its a cool place to hang out but I wasn't blown away by the food.

The drive from Traverse to Petoskey thru Charlevoix and then into Harbor Springs was great - even hit an apple festival in Charlevoix.

After Harbor Springs, took this road called Pleasant View and then 31 into Mackinaw City.

Had a great time and ended up on Mackinac Island on Sunday.

Just mile after mile of this.

[Linked Image]

Next year we're going back and I'm bringing a backpack. Enough of seeing it from the car, I want to get in the middle of it. Didn't have enough time to do what I wanted to as it was.

Nortwestern Michigan is great - 45th parallel!

Pleasantview rd. is a pretty enough stretch; drove it on the way home from working in Harbor Springs today.

You should have taken M-119 along the shore of Lake Michigan - it's a beautiful stretch of narrow blacktop often referred to as the tunnel of trees. It can get a bit twisty though, to the point where the driver doesn't get to enjoy the view much. Best plan is for one person to drive it north, then swap seats and let another person drive back south, or vice versa.

If you decide to come back, drop me a line. I live about 8 miles directly South of Mackinaw City. Maybe I can help with something.

Had dinner/ watched the Packers at the Keyhole Bar last night, and Darrows Family Restaurant on Saturday.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Still...I was blown away by this area.

Don't shout it to loud! More idiot other than what's already here will want to come. wink

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I know both places well. Darrows has some great homemade pies.

I was camping about 20 miles East over the weekend and trying to get some fishing done. The wind and waves didn't agree, but I did manage to put a 20" walleye in the fridge.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Bruin, sounds like a nice walleye... Good job.. I wanted to leave Wy. this fall and tour the Mich. area and some of the Northeast.. The boss did not want to go this year maybe next>> Have a good one, beautiful country.

Molon Labe
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by bruinruin

22 from Arcadia to Elberta has some nice scenery too. I've watch people jump off the cliff with hang gliders while I was fishing the Herring Hole on the big lake.

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
KFWA, make a trip here in winter. That's any time after mid November till late April.
And yes, the winters are that long.

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
KFWA glad you enjoyed it! You definitely came up at a most gorgeous time of year w/ the colors popping!

If you return shoot me a PM I'd love to grab a bite. Never disappointed meeting fellow fire regulars face to face!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (1minute, 160user, 1badf350, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 58 invisible), 2,267 guests, and 1,185 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,039
Posts18,500,735
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.