Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 12 1 2 10 11 12
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Haven't really followed all this, but I do know I put a 140 SST from my .270 through both lungs of a big cow elk.. She was about 300 yards, ran about 200, but dead as a doornail..

Molon Labe
GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
The original poster is the resident village moron, a slob hunter and a bull chitter. In addition this "test" reminds me of something an 8 year old might come up with.

Last edited by BWalker; 10/14/16.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Haven't really followed all this, but I do know I put a 140 SST from my .270 through both lungs of a big cow elk.. She was about 300 yards, ran about 200, but dead as a doornail..

This this short post contains more elk hunting related information than the first 10+ pages of this thread.

It now appears that that OP does not even utilize the results produced by this spectacle. TFF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
smokepole,

And if you want to meet and discuss your definition of "poor excuse for a man" just say the word.

This is truly school boyish. There is more to being a man than trying to show one's prowess in athletics.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BWalker
The original poster is the resident village moron, a slob hunter and a bull chitter. In addition this "test" reminds me of something an 8 year old might come up with.

Tell us on an adult level how this adds to the conversation .

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ringman
This is truly school boyish.

YEAH?????? My dad can beat up your dad.......

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by huntsman22
This is truly school boyish.

YEAH?????? My dad can beat up your dad.......

Show off

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
smokepole,

And if you want to meet and discuss your definition of "poor excuse for a man" just say the word.

This is truly school boyish. There is more to being a man than trying to show one's prowess in athletics.

Well said Ringman. I don't really want to prove my prowess, I just want to see CH piss his pants.

Last edited by smokepole; 10/14/16.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
And this reminds me of Buddy Hacketts story of - the duck hunter, the farmer and the duck, Anyone else know this un?

No fear, no doubt, all in, balls out.

"America"
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Does the farmer kick the duck hunter in the ass?

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In the nuts... I enjoyed Buddy, watched every chance I could.

No fear, no doubt, all in, balls out.

"America"
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole
smokepole,

Well said Ringman. I don't really want to prove my prowess, I just want to see CH piss his pants.

And just why would I do that?

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Colo_Wolf
In the nuts... I enjoyed Buddy, watched every chance I could.

An oldie, but a goodie.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Originally Posted by smokepole
I don't really want to prove my prowess, I just want to see CH piss his pants.

And just why would I do that?

Depends.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by BWalker

I'm not sure how an old bull chitter like yourself sees this as a big deal. I've heard that similar personalities attract each other, I guess that would make you the other resident village moron. How about coming up with your own test and sharing it with us, if you have so much to say.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
but it looks like a helluvalot of fun in the way of data-gathering

That's just it,it's fun to do.I enjoy digging bullets out of the hillside or rock bank just out of curiosity alone.The last time I did it it was with .375 Nosler and Core-lokt bullets..What did it tell me..The Core-lokt is pretty tough in .375 H&H and the Nosler looked exactly like they do out of game.

Shooting done and break out the shovel and the beer cooler in the mountains for the rest of the day.What's better than that.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
LC, what in the world is wrong with you? You prefer to have fun while gathering some opinions in the field? Why bother, when you can just listen to gun writers tied to the manufacturers? Why not just crap on threads where others actually enjoy getting out and shooting?

Actually doing it is a bit old fashioned these days.

Also, an antelope doe is no bull elk.

Originally Posted by logcutter
but it looks like a helluvalot of fun in the way of data-gathering

That's just it,it's fun to do.I enjoy digging bullets out of the hillside or rock bank just out of curiosity alone.The last time I did it it was with .375 Nosler and Core-lokt bullets..What did it tell me..The Core-lokt is pretty tough in .375 H&H and the Nosler looked exactly like they do out of game.

Shooting done and break out the shovel and the beer cooler in the mountains for the rest of the day.What's better than that.

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I asked Bill Steigers of Bitterroot bullets what he used to test his bullets. Since he developed the first commercially viable bonded core bullets he did a LOT of testing to tweak jackets and cores for expansion and penetration,and to compare different materials for his bullets.

They enjoyed an excellent reputation for performance on BG animals from Cape Buffalo on down.

He said he used many mediums but likely the most reliable was 55 gallon drums filled with water. These were especially good at long range,say 500-600 yards.

He said regardless of distance,the results with his bullets corresponded pretty closely to what he and his clients experienced on BG animals.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
We dug three .308" bullets out of the dirt last Saturday, ranges 500 and 600 yards.

Two were Barnes 'X' bullets of one type or another. If indeed ours (not guaranteed) they were 130g or 180g TTSX or 175g LRX. Both of the recovered 'X' bullets were well expanded with substantial shanks and high weight retention. One had the classic 'X' expansion, the other lost a petal. Exactly the same results I've had with MRX and TTSX using water jugs at 10 yards.

The other was a fragment of bullet jacket bullet unknown origin but obviously a cup-and-core design. The fragment was thin, over an inch long, about a quarter inch wide and essentially flat. It appeared to come from a thin-skinned bullet like an A-MAX, SST or similar.

Neither dirt nor water jugs are exactly the same as flesh and blood, but one must concede that that flesh and blood targets vary very significantly as well depending on the placement, angle, distance that must be penetrated to have an exit or reach the vitals, the amount of muscle and bone encountered, hide thickness, the animal's level of awareness and adrenaline levels and so on. Essentially every animal is a different target, unlike water jugs which are very consistent.

North Fork SS have also performed pretty much the same regardless of whether they were fired into water jugs at 10 yards, dirt at 500 yards, or deer or elk at various ranges. All have resulted in reliable but limited mushrooms with high weight retention.

Here is an example, showing the following:
A .30-06/165g North Fork SS, M.V. 2800FPS, 133.2g retained, fired broadside into a cow elk at 25 yards, breaking a front leg and ribs
A 7mm/140g North Fork SS (experimental hollow point design), M.V. 3200fps, 131.2g retained, fired ham to sternum through a buck mule deer at about 150 yards
A .30-06/165g North Fork SS, M.V. 2800fps, 145.0g retained, fired into dirt at 500 yards

[Linked Image]

I have other photos of identical North Fork SS bullets fired into water at 10 yards and into a 6x6 bull elk at a lasered 213 yards. Once again the results are very similar - so much so that people often guess incorrectly as to which is which.

[Edited to add: The water jug bullet was captured in the 6th milk jug, the one from the bull obliterated sections of the near leg and rib and shattered a far rib.]

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 10/24/16. Reason: spelnig

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I only have one bullet to compare, but bullets recovered from a target consisting of two layers of particle board and then wet magazines are indistinguishable from the one recovered from a Waterbuck.

Really though, I just find it fun to do things like that.

Page 12 of 12 1 2 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

264 members (257 mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 2500HD, 1eyedmule, 22 invisible), 1,750 guests, and 1,039 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,389
Posts18,469,819
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.