Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by TomM1
I will agree that most of these remmy incidents occur after an idiot "tunes" the trigger, but why dont you hear about the M70/77/etc. that goes off when you dis-engage the safety? Idiots dont touch these guns? Sad to say, but in todays world there has to be a level of idiot-proof engineered into a trigger.

The strength of the M700 trigger was also it's downfall--it is eminently adjustable--whereas most other factory production triggers are barely adjustable.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Extremesolo,

And I am remiss in saying I'm glad you and your son were not hurt.

At this juncture the best advice is to take the rifle to your gunsmith and have it cleaned and inspected.

I'm betting a cleaning will address the problem.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Never trust it and you won't have a dangerous problem.

But by design, there will always be the possibility that the trigger disconnector does not reset properly and it has another AD. This can happen (rarely) even if the trigger is properly adjusted if there is some piece of sand/dirt that gets in between the disconnector.

If you plan to keep the rifle and want a "safe" trigger, then you will have to swap it out for a replacement brand or an XMark version.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'd never trust a Walker trigger. I've picked up brand new rifles off the shelf and had them go off when the safety is pushed off.

Change it to a Timney.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by BobinNH
I'd never trust a Walker trigger. I've picked up brand new rifles off the shelf and had them go off when the safety is pushed off.

Change it to a Timney.

I need one on those sticky tongue out icon thingies.......

Seriously Bob, nothing wrong with the orignal M72x/700 triggers.

Proportionally, Remmy triggers have no more or less failure rate than others.

The M700 is the most popular bolt sporter ever, naturally you will hear more about it.

Not you Bob, but I am continually surprised by how many Pro-2A folks bought into CNBC's hit piece that was designed to hurt Remington's parent company.

Clean the trigger. If necessary, have the gunsmith dismantle the trigger assembly and check for grit under the connector, although that is rarely necessary.

Casey

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Wouldn't own another Remington on a dare. Only one I own is a 22-250 bull barrel that we use for ground hogs in PA and we NEVER use the safety, besides, the POS doesn't even lock the bolt...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Walkers floating connector is an AD just waiting to happen. Flawed design from the git go.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I have a supply of pre-1983 safety levers that lock the bolt--all my serious hunting rifles are equipped with one. Indeed, my two serious elk getters have the first few years of M700 production verily "dangerous" flat knob safety levers.

Nothing wrong with remmy triggers. Trying to adjust a Vanguard trigger is well, not really an adjustment..........

Casey

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kingston
Originally Posted by Bugger
Typical!!
Some one set the return spring wrong on the trigger and 20 haters join on the feast of running down a product.

They will always be haters. But you have to tune out the bullshit.

It sounds like your trying to make this out to be a Leupold thread...

Nope just pointing out that people have opinions and [bleep]. Some are so ignorant of the facts and ignorant about the world around them that there opinions smell as bad as their butts.

People that modify tested and engineered factory rifles and then complain how bad the company was when they were at fault but refuse to admit their stupidity fall into this category.

Walker made one mistake. He never dreamed that people would change the factory tuned trigger, these people who have no idea of what they are doing nor the consequences of their stupidity deserve what they get.

What is a crime is someone screwing up a well designed and thoroughly tested piece of equipment and then selling it to an innocent victim.

Last edited by Bugger; 10/25/16.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I have a Remington that was subject to the recall...contacted Remington, it was weeks before the shipping box arrived. I figured if it took them that long to get a box to me I wasn't going to dismount the scope from a really good shooting outfit and send the rifle off to them for who the hell knows how long....and if they couldn't get it right the first time....I bought a Timney, put it in, problem solved.

Mathew 22: 37-39

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

Casey

whistle....this close enuff, or maybe

smirk

they're available on 'full screen reply'.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wouldn't toss the trigger or rifle until I did what the other guys said.I also would check to see if the trigger is rubbing on one side of the trigger guard or the other. (The slot where the trigger comes through the trigger guard.) I have seen that happen on more than a dozen rifles in my time. Also, if the adjustment screw has been turned out and not re-epoxied it can creep further out. Also, on a lot of 700's once that trigger adjustment screw has been turned out, you will need to relieve the wood in front of the screw so it doesn't bear against the web/wood. On plastic stocks there is a bigger or no danger of that. Of course, if you decide to replace it with a Timney, you will probably have to make sure the bolt release lever and/or the trigger itself isn't rubbing causing the trigger not to return. I recently replaced 4 X Mark triggers with Timney's, and had to do some relieving of the trigger guard material before they were safe to use. After that, I think the Timney trigger is good to go. That's all I use on my Mausers!
I have adjusted hundreds of Remington 700 triggers and I have never had a failure yet!! I am sure I would have heard about it if one had failed. mad

Ken

Last edited by kennymauser; 10/25/16.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

Casey

whistle....this close enuff, or maybe

smirk

they're available on 'full screen reply'.

Jerry

grin

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by kennymauser
After that, I think the Timney trigger is good to go. That's all I use on my Mausers!
I have adjusted hundreds of Remington 700 triggers and I have never had a failure yet!! I am sure I would have heard about it if one had failed. mad
Ken

I have a Timney on a 98 and love it.

I haven't counted but I've adjusted 15-20 Rem triggers that lock the bolt when engaged.
I "never" touched the sear engagement. SO FAR I've had NO problems with them.

I have a 700 BDL 7 RM and the trigger has been VERY light for many years-----no trouble whatsoever.

It seems to me that at least some of the trigger 'failures' are the results of dirt, stock warping, and or MIS adjusting. IMO

As many 700s as I've had, seems strange to me none have mal functioned.

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 10/25/16.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It is improperly adjusted and the OP knew it...

It also brings up the simple point that one should never have a hot chamber until the last minute in getting ready to shoot...

Missing an opportunity at ANY critter is not worth the risk. Loading and unloading at the vehicle are the most dangerous times of the day...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

It also brings up the simple point that one should never have a hot chamber until the last minute in getting ready to shoot...

Hoo Boy! Now you done it! shocked And just as this thread was going to bed too.

(Not that you're wrong; just the way I do it as well.... what's a safety? )

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Casey I have never seen the CNBC program. Know nothing about it.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Had an older Remington get out of adjustment here recently. It was not tuned by me, and somebody else commented on how light the trigger was when I was checking zero. I agreed that it did seem rather light, lighter than I remembered. Upon bringing it home, my digital gauge showed about 1.5lbs. Sure enough, when I racked the bolt hard, the pin would sometimes fall. Yikes. Upon disassembly, I found that no sealant had been put on the screws after adjustment. It had taken about 15 years for the trigger to gradually get unsafe. I added a bit of sear engagement and pull weight and resealed the screws. It's now at 2.2lbs.

For the record, I never "trust" a bolt-gun safety. I expect the gun not to slamfire or fire when the safety is disengaged, but I treat the bolt handle as the main safety, especially when I'm hunting with others or I'm on the move.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If y'all don't want those Remingtons, just send them to me.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Hoo Boy! Now you done it! shocked And just as this thread was going to bed too.

(Not that you're wrong; just the way I do it as well.... what's a safety? )

Yep, complete nonsense.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (21, 007FJ, 2500HD, 160user, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 72 invisible), 2,596 guests, and 1,332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,090
Posts18,482,931
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.