Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by BobinNH
What I've noticed is that if a cartridge suffers a drop off in popularity, it's because most shooters are like women changing shoe styles every few years.

Because they play with rifles and cartridges more than they use them to actually kill bunches of animals,they are constantly running around looking for the newest and latest cartridge offering so many illusory advantages over their "old', "antiquated" 270, 30/06, or 7 Rem Mag.

This leads to safes stuffed with rifles chambered for cartridges that are out of fashion.

History has proven many of these new 90 day wonders fail to deliver any significant improvement. There is a very small handful of truly ubiquitous worldwide BG cartridges available. The 7 Rem Mag is one of them.

Isn't that the truth!

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
It may not be as popular among younger or newer hunters as it used to be, but people who have used it generally still like it!

I have noticed a good many of the people I've hunted with since the 1970's seem too worried about the recoil to even shoot it.

But this is not an accurate fear. I'm a small frame guy of 5'-8" and when they watch me shoot it at the range it blows me around, but really doesn't hurt.
Then when I shoot their .308s for example, they punch the hell out of me, but they don't push me around. So, they don't believe me when I say their 308 actually is just as painful if not more so than my 7 mag.

From the bench:
7 Rem mag 40 rounds with maybe very mild sore shoulder.
Less than 8 lb. 308, 15 to 20 rounds = sore shoulder.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bellydeep
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

... I often recommend a .30-06 - to the point that a .30-06 is what I buy for wedding presents for sons-in-law. For Daughter #1 I recommended a .308 Win.

The problem with "deer hunting at longer ranges 300+ yards" is that you never know at what range you will actually be shooting. On one occasion I anticipated a 300 yards shot if I was lucky, 600 if not. Instead I had an opportunity at 25 feet.

300 Weatherby solves all problems. Someday you'll come to the right answer.

My .300 WM does everything I'd ask a .300 WBY to do. If the .300 WM won't do the job I'll take my .338 WM over a .300 WBY.

Frankly, I'd take another .30-06 over a .300 WBY, and I already have three.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

... I often recommend a .30-06 - to the point that a .30-06 is what I buy for wedding presents for sons-in-law. For Daughter #1 I recommended a .308 Win.

The problem with "deer hunting at longer ranges 300+ yards" is that you never know at what range you will actually be shooting. On one occasion I anticipated a 300 yards shot if I was lucky, 600 if not. Instead I had an opportunity at 25 feet.

300 Weatherby solves all problems. Someday you'll come to the right answer.

My .300 WM does everything I'd ask a .300 WBY to do. If the .300 WM won't do the job I'll take my .338 WM over a .300 WBY.

Frankly, I'd take another .30-06 over a .300 WBY, and I already have three.

Only you would load a 300 WBY to 300 Win Mag levels...

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I was in Gunsmith school (many many years ago) when it first came out. Built one up out of a Mark 1 Springfield action, Douglas supreme bbl and a Yamawood stock with a Leupold of course. Still shoots inch groups and if I told you how many animals it has taken over the years especially the long shots I shouldn't have made you would call me a liar. Love it. I also shoot a 7mm-08 around here because I like the 7 calibers. One last note, anyone who thinks a 270 is as good as a 7 mag I think has a mental issue or has read to much Jack O"Conner.

Last edited by coyote268; 10/31/16.
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by coyote268
.........anyone who thinks a 270 is as good as a 7 mag I think has a mental issue or has read to much Jack O"Conner.

No bigger fan of JOC than myself, and I love the 270 Winchester (have 4 right now).....but I think you're right. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
At least nobody is picking on the lowly 30-06.....

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
It's simply because they started making production rifles in 280AI.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have had at least a half dozen 7RM rifles. Never killed anything other than paper and white rocks. Understand, this was from the days when 7 mags tended to weigh 1 1/2 to 2 pounds more than a comparable .270 or .30-06. I was not willing to pack the extra weight for the slight ballistic advantage.

Back in my gun of the week days, I did score a 7 Wby out of the South Gate place built on an FN action that was light enough to use. With a full 6/10" freebore, one could seat the 160s long and make it hummmmm. I kept that one and hunted with it for a season, and it is one that I regret selling, even though I dislike the Weatherby stock design. High tech synthetics were just coming into their own at the time, so that could have been solved.

As I have grown older, light is better and I find that my most used rifles are .308, .243, and .223. Modern bullets such as NP, bonded and mono metal have put the smaller calibers on steroids. I haven't hunted with any of my .270 or .30-06 rifles in many years. I have sold all of my belted magnum rifles. A 7 was the last to go, some four or five years ago.

Best wishes,

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by moosemike
I have noticed the 7 Rem Mag is really popular with southern whitetail hunters. Much more so than it was in PA.

In most of those cases I have seen, its guys that have gut/liver shot a deer or three with a smaller cartridge and lost it, or occasionally a guy who just had some plain bad luck. They figure they can make up for poor placement with more displacement or imagine that it buys them "insurance". The usual progression goes from either 30-30 or .243 to .270/30-06 to magnum. Once they get themselves a 7mm or 300 magnum, at least they quit blaming the gun for their poor results which is a step in the right direction. Then they start being more conservative with their shooting, perhaps practice a little, start placing shots forward of the guts and begin having success....which they attribute to their magnum rifle's superior "knockdown power". Then the next guy comes along and loses a poorly hit deer with a standard caliber. Our hero tells him he used to lose deer all the time until he got his big rifle......and the cycle repeats, and the magnums are really popular with southern deer hunters.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
It's simply because they started making production rifles in 280AI.

I seriously doubt it.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

I maintain that IF a 300 WM will not kill something.......

A 300 Wby can not !!

Yes I know there is 'some' difference but NOT enuff to put the Wby in a diff class.

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 11/01/16.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's not new and improved and not old enough to be called "venerable" like a 30-06.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jwall

I maintain that IF a 300 WM will not kill something.......

A 300 Wby will can not !!

Yes I know there is 'some' difference but NOT enuff to put the Wby in a diff class.

Jerry

Come on man. I just laid the bait out for an uber classic CH 15 paragraph reply.

Don't spring the trap before he finds it!

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Okay - I'll delete mine if you delete this last post.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Here in Montana it's been interesting to watch the popularity of the 7mm Remington Magnum over the decades. When it appeared in the 1960's EVERYBODY had to have one, to the point where a friend of mine who worked his way through college by working at a local sawmill, said they issued every guy a hard-hat and a "Seven Em Em" (which is what most people called them, that or the "big Seven," or even just "THE Seven).

It remained really popular through the 1990's, but lost a little steam to the .300 Winchester Magnum. However, when the .300 WSM appeared a BUNCH of older 7mm RM's showed up on used racks at local gun stores, because the boys had read all the hype about how it matched the .300 Winchester Magnum with less recoil.

That last a few years, but lately .300 WSM's aren't selling like they used to, partly because it's harder to find brass, and many .300 WSM shooters are handloaders. 7mm Remington Magnum shooters can be either factory ammo shooters or handloaders, and there's a lot more easily available 7mm RM brass, and even ammo is still far more abundant.

Lately have been seeing about as many .300 WSM's on used racks as 7mm RM's, which is interesting because the 7mm RM has been around far longer, so there are far more 7mm RM rifles around. I don't think this means .300 WSM fans tend to keep their rifles more, either, as I know quite a few who discovered (thanks to chronographs) that it wouldn't match the .300 Winchester with handloads. They also found it kicked more like a .300 magnum than they were lead to believe.

Many if not most of the used 7mm RM's I see on used racks are pretty old, in particular a lot of tang-safety Ruger 77's. I suspect some of those have just quit shooting very well, due to barrel erosion. Found one at a very low price myself a few years ago and that's what had happened to it.

Sevens may not be as popular here as they were 25-40 years ago, but there are still LOTS of hunters carrying them, especially hunters who don't chase the latest fad. And there have been more fads in the past 25 years.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Magnum craze came and went. Then it came and went again.

I think many finally figured out that they do not need a magnum for most hunting. Or should I say, lots of folks carried magnums that didn't need them. They have their place, but I have seen many hunting woods and thickets with them and often wondered why. If it was your only rifle, for east and west and in between, I could see it.

Another thing is that bullet technology has come a long, long way, in recent times. I feel 223s and 243s, etc. are much more widely accepted as viable choices nowadays, whereas they were often considered not enough gun, or marginal, in the past. I.E. smaller cartridges are now being used on larger critters. Of course, some still will disagree, and are stuck in their way of thinking in this regard.

I can't comment on the trends out west, but cartridges like the 300 Savage, 35 Rem, 30-30, 32 Win Spl, 45-70, 444, etc., are still very much alive and well here during deer and bear seasons. I feel many have gone the magnum route, then switched back to "old faithful". Most of the bolt guns are 308s, 243s, 30-06s, and few 270s thrown in. And with today's bullets, they are better than ever.

I still like the 7-08 best overall for general big game, in bolt actions anyway. Not much it won't do. And that trend isn't likely to change any time soon.

The 7mmRM is still a great cartridge though. One I am very fond of, actually. But I use it mostly for LR shooting and not hunting.......

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
Magnum craze came and went. Then it came and went again.

I think many finally figured out that they do not need a magnum for most hunting. Or should I say, lots of folks carried magnums that didn't need them. They have their place, but I have seen many hunting woods and thickets with them and often wondered why. If it was your only rifle, for east and west and in between, I could see it.

I still like the 7-08 best overall for general big game, in bolt actions anyway. Not much it won't do. And that trend isn't likely to change any time soon.

The 7mmRM is still a great cartridge though. One I am very fond of, actually. But I use it mostly for LR shooting and not hunting.......

My brother shot a nice buck with his 7mm Rem Mag, my handloads, using 160 gr NAB, at 534 yards.

Two days prior I killed a buck with my 7mm-08, 140 Partition. 541 yards. Who needs a magnum?

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As a reloader I have always considered the 7 Rem mag nothing more than a glorified 30-06. Like John said, you see quite a few on sales racks for reasonable prices, especially up here in Alaska as they never caught hold up here like they did in the Western US. But I just picked up an older round top, tang safety Ruger M-77 in one so I can use up some of the 7mm bullets and ammo I have accumulated over the years.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As a newbie to Idaho 25 years ago I carried a .30-06 elk hunting since it seemed like a logical choice. Saw a nice elk out in an open area but it was 350-400-450-500 yards away? This was pre-LRF days and I hadn't gotten used to range estimation in the mountains. Anyway, just a bit too far for me to feel comfortable shooting with the rig in hand.

So I bought a 7mm RM since it was and is a very flat shooting round. I loaded it with 150 grain Nosler Partitions and Bob Hagel powder charges, then practiced with it all year and got to where from prone I could make good consistent hits out to 500 yards.

When elk season rolled around next year I was ready for come what may!

So, of course, a nice elk stepped out of the forest about 30 yards in front of me. The 7mm still worked. Killed a nice deer with it that year as well, it was maybe 45 yards away.

Went back to a .30-06 and had a string of one shot kills for the next 10 years in a row. wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

500 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 59 invisible), 2,798 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,491
Posts18,471,967
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.