Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
trb696 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I have a later model Wby Vanguard 1 with the normal crap trigger. Polished and resprung but still GOBBBBS of creep that cannot be adjusted out, or the saftey fails to function. I have not been able to find a Vanguard 2 with the 2 stage "much better" trigger to test and feel for myself. I have never used a 2 stage but can see the advantage. What is the experience out there and what would you choose, the standard single stage Timney or the Van2 Howa2 two stage clicker. I can get either for about the same, under $100 price. I'm shooting at under 3/4 moa with the bad trigger, .300 Wby mag... Cant wait to see pattern w/better trigger. Right now its exhale, time heartbeat, squeezecreeeeep, re-exhale, re-time, squeeze....?...bang lmao...

"The Individuals Rights will be protected only so long as they don't conflict with the State, nothing is so dangerous to a Society."
Underestimated by everyone...
HR IC

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
I've got no experience with the V2 trigger but I do with the V1/1500's. Got my S&W 1500(Howa) in '83 before there were any aftermarket triggers available. Had a gunsmith friend do a good bit of work on the rifle but try as he might he couldn't get the last bit of creep out of the trigger. 3.5lbs pull w/no over travel though. A trigger shoe helped a lot with the last bit of creep. As soon as Timney offered a trigger for the Vanguard/Howa(late 80's or early 90's?)I had one installed. 2.5lbs of pure pleasure. Hasn't missed a beat since.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I don't have any Timneys, but like the 2-stage on my S2 very much, not quite as much as my Ruger Hawkeye Predator, but close.

One thing might be in favor of the Timney; the safety "button" on the S2 is just the lever bent over and grooved a bit; kind of chintzy looking in my view. You might want to compare the two if you're fussy.

What fresh Hell is this?
trb696 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I did see that design on the safety. Ive often asked why engineers do a superb job on 90% but always screw up at least one obvious thing on anything. I also heard they went to a plastic magazine follower from the steel original. (argh) Ive had a V1 Deluxe Wby before and stuck a Timney in it, was VERY nice. I too had it before they made the aftermarket trigg. Then we were saved by Timney lol. I have found a company called Legacysports.com in Vegas who sells a new V2, 2 stage trigger kit, but was told it was a 3 position and required a "3 position Vanguard" to work. I have not heard of ANYONE who has experience putting the V2 trigg in a V1. But I digress, I may have to just go with the Timney untill the damn "black magic" is figured out.

"The Individuals Rights will be protected only so long as they don't conflict with the State, nothing is so dangerous to a Society."
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Timney is great, you won't be sorry. I'm not a big fan of two stage triggers. I have several timney triggers on various rifles, easy to install,easy to adjust.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i automatically change all my HOWA's and Vanguards out to Timney triggers. saves me a ton of frustration and improves my accuracy.

I can't spell... Deal with it...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Paul- how the heck you been?!?!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Legacy Sports is who imports Howas. A 3-position will work on a 2-position. Just cut off the arm on the safety lever that goes into the bolt to lock it if you need to. Bolts on 2-position guns don't have a slot cut in them for the locking arm on the safety lever. I've had to do that modification on a Timney to get it to fit on a 2-position.

trb696 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Whttail! Thats what i was told was the difference was, Wouldnt offer the workaround though. I know exactly what you are refering to. I may roadtrip tomorrow or monday to seek out a wby 2 stage and test it, now knowing the "fix" is possible. I feared maybe they chaged up the mounting screw location or something excessive to prevent upgradeing. I apollogise for seeming so indecisive y'all, but I know the Timney and like it, but gotta find out if I like the 2 stage more, before spending the very valuble, high portion percentage of small income. Has anyone seen who is selling the V2s? Cabellas, Bass Pro, Academy... Walmarts?

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I bought 2 Vanguard S2s this year. One had a decent factory trigger that would adjust down to about 3 lbs. The other had a horrible 5 lb trigger that wouldn't adjust at all. It also had a "rough" barrel and throat. That rifle wouldn't shoot accurate and went down the road.

Long story short I'm not a fan of 2 stage triggers and changed the factory trigger on the S2 I kept with a Timney adjusted to 2 lbs. It was a big improvement IMO.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (1minute, 01Foreman400, 1OntarioJim, 1234, 1badf350, 007FJ, 59 invisible), 2,427 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,567
Posts18,491,832
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.