Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Do any of you folks have some good insight and suggestions about locating elk during the upcoming hunt in Colorado's Bosque del Oso SWA in southern CO.. I have never hunted or even seen that area.

My son-in-law is soon arriving there from Minnesota for his first Colorado elk hunt and the available maps seem of limited value, especially due to the many closed roads in there. If you will share knowledge/experience in the BdO which would help him get off to a good start, that would be much appreciated.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
GB1

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Your son in law needs to get a gps and go buy the Colorado chip and he will be good to go.. as far as that area does he have draw tag for 851??im assuming he does cause that's the only way to hunt it s general 3rd season bull tag is not valid for the bosque del so swa.. if I were him he would give parks and wildlife a call get an idea where the elk might be.. i was down in 133 last weekend and it was 80 degrees. Your sil needs to plan for hot weather and what to do if they get one down and prevent meat spoilage..

Last edited by 79S; 11/02/16.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks. He does have the Colo chip for his GPS and the cited draw tag. Also did talk with two P&W guys to get some sense of the area and is getting in there today to start looking.

Do you have any experience with how those elk might behave/locate when its a warm early Nov like this? I've been thinking higher northly slopes, but have never been there. Any thoughts?

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CCCC
Thanks. He does have the Colo chip for his GPS and the cited draw tag. Also did talk with two P&W guys to get some sense of the area and is getting in there today to start looking.

Do you have any experience with how those elk might behave/locate when its a warm early Nov like this? I've been thinking higher northly slopes, but have never been there. Any thoughts?

I was having this talk the other day about the elk migrating. Since 851 is on the border with NM I'm going to say elk are migrating out NM into 851. Unfortunately I know nothing of that area I don't even know anyone that has hunted that area either. If its hot like it was last weekend those elk will definitely be up high.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hello

My ranch is located 8 miles N of Bosque Del Oso WLA, and 4.5 miles NW of Spanish Peaks WLA. I can tell you we have Elk moving thru here every day.

It's been way to warm to kill one and hang the quarters, so I'm waiting for a cold spell. No rush on my part as i have a 6 week season. But, if one doesn't mind sending his Elk to a processor, just locate water, be there at first light and just before sunset, he will do well.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Respects,
Richard

Cat, the other white meat!
IC B2

J
J
CCCC,

I spent a month working in the Bosque back in August 2008 (oilfield). We weren't terribly far off of Hwy 12, but during the little exploring we did, I generally saw elk. If I recall, it is primarily oak brush, pinion, juniper and some Ponderosa.

Now, as the name suggests, black bears are plentiful. It was my understanding that CDOW dumped a lot of "problem" bears in there. They were common, even in day time, and not shy at all - something to consider if he gets an elk down and has to leave it for any length of time.

Sorry, that's all I've got. I hope he has a great hunt.

Jonathan

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sometimes names of places are significant.
Bosque del Oso and Oso Malo (the main campground there) for instance.

I have wandered around there and always wished for a tag there. That is a pretty coveted and valuable tag.
Locals tell me nice bulls sometimes drop down into the Bosque off one of Ted Turner's ranches on the NM side.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
PM sent

CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Hey folks - thanks for all the above. I will be talking with my SIL this AM to share your info and learn what he is seeing. I sure wish for him to have a fine hunt.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Stop at Ringo's and get some olives!

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I always stop and get a wheel of Goat cheese w/wo green chili.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Hope he had some luck this weekend. Weather was good Saturday morning. Cold and foggy!

Hunted Tercio which is basically next door and saw literally tons of elk. I had a cow tag and tagged out Saturday morning on a bedded cow.

Despite my user name, no I am not from Texas.........

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

59 members (300_savage, 35, BallisticBRYAN, Akhutr, 338reddog, 9 invisible), 1,385 guests, and 856 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,208
Posts18,503,881
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.