Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#11551004 11/02/16
35 Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Anyone ever make a game sled out of a 55 gallon plastic drum?
I was going to use about 1/3 of the drum.
Any other material better suited for this?

Thanks, 35

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I think it would be more trouble that it's worth. even on flat ground I would think that the sharp side to end transition would tend to plow the ground somewhat. Use it on any kind of a slope and the thing is just gonna continually want to roll over I would think. But then I have never tried it.

35 Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
I was going to pull it from the side not the end.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
That might help with the rolling issue, but then the dragging track would be so wide that where I hunt it just wouldn't be practical. The vegetation is just too dense.
If you hunt fields or more open woods then it might work out for you.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 35

Thanks, 35

Buy one:
http://www.bing.com/search?q=game+s...mp;cvid=3D502D64DC6F4E70BB4168644FB6A4BD

Last edited by Snyper; 11/02/16.

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have, or had,(haven't seen it in a while now that I think about it)a dead sled. I've piled 2 antelope on it and 2 of us dragged them a half mile through the sagebrush. It works quite well. I think I could drag half an elk for quite a ways if the need arose. If it was more than a mile or two I'd probably drop down to a quarter of an elk. Whether there was snow on the ground would make a huge difference as well.

http://deadsled.com/

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Kids' plastic snow sled.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I bought one of the sleds that are designed to tow behind a canoe or kayak.It works great for dragging out deer.It loads very easily into my jeep and contains all the blood.When processing my deer,I let all the scrap fall into the sled then load back into jeep and then dragged back into the woods to let nature have the rest.Very simple and clean.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I saw a number of these just laying about in Newfoundland in September.

[Linked Image]

Perfect for the occasional moose!

Hunt Africa while you can
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
[i][/i]We've tried a roll-up - never could get it to not roll over - and a kid's tub tobaggan - not much better. Better to shoot the animal near an easily accessible (by vehicle) location. We have proven highly inept at that.

Last edited by 5sdad; 11/03/16.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B3

N
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
I use the Beaver Tail Medium sled. Has held up very well and fits right in my suburban. The local feed store sells Calf sleds that some guys use. Similar in size to my Beaver Tail and a little heavier const. But also more $

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Manard's carries a light weight version in black (which i just baught @$8) and cabela's has the lifetime version, for about $200.00.
I would suggest a better use of your barrel would be a worm farm for fishing bait.

Last edited by kellory; 11/03/16.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by NEBHUNTER
I use the Beaver Tail Medium sled. Has held up very well and fits right in my suburban. The local feed store sells Calf sleds that some guys use. Similar in size to my Beaver Tail and a little heavier const. But also more $

I too have a med Beavertail sled. I drilled a few holes and made a self equalizing harness that I attach to my internal frame daypack w/ carabiners. I used 7mm cord for the harness and a rear drag for steep downhills.

Cheap and surprisingly effective. I hope to shoot a wolf this winter and want to retrieve it intact for taxidermy. I put all my gear for a long winter day of calling and travelling in the sled and it is much easier to pull than carry in a backpack.

Go to the American Alpine Club site and reference the section on climbing Denali for good harness systems. I made the self equalizing system using a pulley. The sled makes winter hiking w/ snowshoes or skis a pleasure.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I like the Deer Sleighr sled, link here

A 1/3rd chunk of a drum would work but the Sleighr rolls up and carries easy so I don't have to go back to camp to get it, I have it with me.
Parachute cord or mule tape ties Bambi on and makes a large loop tied to the front. Poke your head and shoulder thru and haul away.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by 35

Thanks, 35
Sleds might work in flat country, absolutely useless where I live! Tried them the Cabela's lasted about half a journey. My biggest issue is then your have a deer and trash to take out! Cabela's did refund the dollars!

D
DHN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The slickest sled I've ever used was a piece of 5/16" Teflon with grommets around the edges, tied a 6pt. bull on it and a 5/8" rope, with the center section tripled then wound around for handle. On dry ground with rocks and branches it slid right along, (OK, going uphill was work) it did get a few small grooves from sharp stones, though. The big drawback to getting my own (I borrowed it from a guy who worked at a plastics factory) was price; as I age, that seems to be getting to be less of an objection.

Dale

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Look under ICE FISHING SLEDS. I have one that I have hauled around long enough to no longer remember the name. These are designed from really tough plastic to haul your crap over miles of parking lot, ice, shallow snow, deep snow...the wheel was already done invented. Plus all different sizes, already available. and if your not into ice fishing, trust me, a lot of gear gets hauled a long way.

Liberalism; The impossible yet accepted notion that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I purchase two Jet Sleds at Cal Ranch store they are about 4 feet long 20 inches wide and 12 inches deep. I slide them in the back of my truck with a lot of my stuff in them (chains, come along, axe, backpack etc.) If I kill something I use the sled to haul it out and to carry the animal home. The blood stays in the sled and I just transfer the stuff to one sled.
I think the cost was around $30 each. I took a piece of 3/4 conduit and made a handle that looks like a water ski handle. I have hauled out a whole raghorn bull in one trip with this setup. Deer drag real easy even on dry ground. I have used mine for at least 10 years now and still going strong.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
I think mine is a jet sled. I bought it to pull behind the ATV ànd give the grand kids rides in the snow. But I use it more to drag hay bales around at feeding time.

Mine came f4om Sportsman's Whse. Cabelas also sell shem. They are advertised for use to ferry ice fishing gear or loads of decoys over terrain which is not always snow covered and are pretty durable.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I saw these on the Tractor Supply website recently. It looks like they might be quite handy. They also have a smaller, cheaper version.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/terrain-sport-sled?cm_vc=-10005

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (22kHornet, 1badf350, 1lesfox, 007FJ, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 54 invisible), 2,249 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,347
Posts18,506,203
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.