Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by 4ager
The kick is that all the banter about the .30-30 being superior to the 7.62x39 assumes the factory listed (and incorrect) velocities for both rounds in hunting rifles. The .30-30 velocities of 2300 for the 150s and 2100 for the 170s are from listed 24" barrels. In actual 20" barrels from 336s and 94s, the velocities that I've gotten and have seen others get average around 2100 for the 150s (occasionally as high as 2200, but 2100-2150 is about the norm) and 2050 for the 170s (generally 2000-2050).

The little Russian can do those numbers quite easily handloaded with 150s or 174s in 20" barrels, but I digress
My brother called this afternoon and wanted to know if I wanted to go to the range. Because I had just read your ignorant post here I said sure, bring your chronograph. I have two types of factory .30-30's on hand. 150 grain Remington core-lokts and 170 grain Federal blue box. Since I needed to check zero on my 20" barreled Marlin 336 for the upcoming deer season anyway, that was the chosen test vessel. The 150 core-lokts averaged 2375 fps for 5 shots and the 170 Federals averaged 2204 fps for 5 shots. This with the chrony set up 12 feet in front of the muzzle and those numbers are not corrected back to the muzzle. I don't know where you've been getting your info on .30-30 factory ammo velocities but suspect you've been reading too much of Nathan Fosters drivel over on ballisticstudies.com and haven't actually chrono'd any yourself. Oh yeah, and one more thing. The factory listed muzzle velocities for 150 and 170 grain .30-30's are 2390 and 2200 fps respectively so your numbers are incorrect there too. The more you post on this subject the more clear it becomes that you're talking out your azz.

Got MV same way you got yours; chrono set up and factory ammo shot over it.

As for "the more I post" bit, that Post of mine you're quoting is nearly a year old and goes back the last conversation you and I had on this subject.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
No clue who the f'k Fosters is. I do know what the chronograph reads, though.
Yeah, me too. But since you obviously can't read what the factory ballistics charts say, why should I believe you ?

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
The kick is that all the banter about the .30-30 being superior to the 7.62x39 assumes the factory listed (and incorrect) velocities for both rounds in hunting rifles. The .30-30 velocities of 2300 for the 150s and 2100 for the 170s are from listed 24" barrels. In actual 20" barrels from 336s and 94s, the velocities that I've gotten and have seen others get average around 2100 for the 150s (occasionally as high as 2200, but 2100-2150 is about the norm) and 2050 for the 170s (generally 2000-2050).

The little Russian can do those numbers quite easily handloaded with 150s or 174s in 20" barrels, but I digress
My brother called this afternoon and wanted to know if I wanted to go to the range. Because I had just read your ignorant post here I said sure, bring your chronograph. I have two types of factory .30-30's on hand. 150 grain Remington core-lokts and 170 grain Federal blue box. Since I needed to check zero on my 20" barreled Marlin 336 for the upcoming deer season anyway, that was the chosen test vessel. The 150 core-lokts averaged 2375 fps for 5 shots and the 170 Federals averaged 2204 fps for 5 shots. This with the chrony set up 12 feet in front of the muzzle and those numbers are not corrected back to the muzzle. I don't know where you've been getting your info on .30-30 factory ammo velocities but suspect you've been reading too much of Nathan Fosters drivel over on ballisticstudies.com and haven't actually chrono'd any yourself. Oh yeah, and one more thing. The factory listed muzzle velocities for 150 and 170 grain .30-30's are 2390 and 2200 fps respectively so your numbers are incorrect there too. The more you post on this subject the more clear it becomes that you're talking out your azz.

As for "the more I post" bit, that Post of mine you're quoting is nearly a year old and goes back the last conversation you and I had on this subject.
Yeah, and you're still wrong.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Last 3 shot group through the chrono with my standard 336 and 150 grain Remington Hog Hammer Ammo(Barnes TSX bullet) yielded an average of 2400fps.

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

No, I reported the velocities recorded, and that goes for both rounds in question.

For some reason - after a year - you got a hair up your ass about this topic again. Only you know why.

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

No, I reported the velocities recorded, and that goes for both rounds in question.

For some reason - after a year - you got a hair up your ass about this topic again. Only you know why.
Your chrono setup is bad or the damn thing is just off. Someone brought this post back to the top. Didn't pay attention to who. Read your post that I quoted for the first time today, It was as full of incorrect information then as it is now.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Blackheart[quote=4ager

My brother called this afternoon and wanted to know if I wanted to go to the range. Because I had just read your ignorant post here I said sure, bring your chronograph. I have two types of factory .30-30's on hand. 150 grain Remington core-lokts and 170 grain Federal blue box. Since I needed to check zero on my 20" barreled Marlin 336 for the upcoming deer season anyway, that was the chosen test vessel. The 150 core-lokts averaged 2375 fps for 5 shots and the 170 Federals averaged 2204 fps for 5 shots. This with the chrony set up 12 feet in front of the muzzle and those numbers are not corrected back to the muzzle. I don't know where you've been getting your info on .30-30 factory ammo velocities but suspect you've been reading too much of Nathan Fosters drivel over on ballisticstudies.com and haven't actually chrono'd any yourself. Oh yeah, and one more thing. The factory listed muzzle velocities for 150 and 170 grain .30-30's are 2390 and 2200 fps respectively so your numbers are incorrect there too. The more you post on this subject the more clear it becomes that you're talking out your azz. [/quote

Your chrono setup is bad or the damn thing is just off. Someone brought this post back to the top. Didn't pay attention to who. Read your post that I quoted for the first time today, It was as full of incorrect information then as it is now.

Why you have such a hard on to prove the .30-30 is so much better than the 7.62x39 (which it is not; both are deer killing SOBs), is baffling. You act like someone insulted your dog. I use both; I hunt both; I chrono'd both over the same chronograph (so if one set of measurements is off, the others would be off the same way). I reported that. You act like I've hair-lipped the friggin' Pope.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by TATELAW
Last 3 shot group through the chrono with my standard 336 and 150 grain Remington Hog Hammer Ammo(Barnes TSX bullet) yielded an average of 2400fps.
Hmmmm, imagine that.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Never said the .30-30 is "so much better" than the x39. I said the x39 is not the equal of the .30-30 and it is not.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Moderator please move this thread to the optics forum.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A guy I work with uses one in a CZ 527 for deer. He's killed a bunch with it and says it works well. He claims it's about like a .30-30 but I KNOW it's not. How ? Because I've killed a shytton more deer with a .30-30 over the past 40 years than he has with the 7.62 and have recovered FAR fewer bullets from deer carcasses than he has. .30-30 equivalent my azz.

Define "shytton", please, as upstate NY with said bag limits does not a "shytton" create.

Is the 7.62 the equivalent of the .30-30? No. In some ways it's inferior and in others superior, depending entirely upon platform each are in. Discount the SKS or AK variant as hunting rifles off the start, though, as accuracy (while possible) is an unlikely happenstance.

A .30-30 in a tubular lever action (most common) restricted to flat-nose bullets (not really, but stay with me) fires a bullet with more mass, but the velocity bleeds off fast. Per the OPs question, past 100 yards the 123/125 spitzer of the 7.62x39 is packing as much or more power and retaining it better than the .30-30 FN. Inside 100, the .30-30 delivers more to the target; outside of that, the edge starts going to the 7.62x39 123/125 grain slug.

If your 7.62x39 guns the 154 SPs well, then it is even out the gate and stays at least even all the way out. Amazing how folks constantly forget that there are heavier bullets in the little Russian available.

Now, if you put the .30-30 in a single-shot or bolt action, then there is no replacement for displacement and the bigger engine room of the Winchester round gives you more gas onto which you can mash the pedal. Putting a ballistically non-handicapped bullet on top just frosts that cake.

The little Russian round gunning the factor Remington or Federal SPs is a deer killer; giving up ground to the .30-30 inside of 100, but overtaking it outside the same. The Hornady SSTs should be at least as good (I'll be trying them this year). The 154s, if your rifle shoots them, are as equal to the .30-30 as you're likely to find ballistically.

BT/DT, many times over with each.

BTT.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rost495
Well at least you have a few deer under your belt.

Yes, paper says one thing.

Your problem is you have not shot a fair amount with the 30-30 and the x39 to compare each. I have. Maybe on NY deer it could matter somehow.

On our deer, granted they rarely hit 200 and 150 on the hoof is pretty much about average for a buck, until he gets to 6.5 or so of age when he starts heading to 175 plus, there isn't a deer I have taken with the 30-30 that the x 39 cant' have done the same.

But you have your thoughts and I have mine.

I've also seen a LOT of pigs shot with the X 39. and very few with the 30-30, but the x39 has never failed... and on some fairly large pigs over the 250 mark.

Then again when you stick an X type bullet in a gun you have made it larger than it is.

this is about like arguing 308/30-06...when it comes to deer, take your pick, they both kill and are both more than enough.

Hmmm

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Whole lot of "near ballistic twin" and "kills like"; good amount of actual ballistics on the 7.62; plenty of discussions on actual bullet use and acknowledgement that bullet and handload vs factory makes a huge difference.

The only person talking in absolutes is in NY.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When fielding questions regarding deer rifles, I frequently got the one: ". . . my BIL says I should by an SKS, 'cause it shoots gooder than my 30-30 and the ammo is cheaper."

Case capacity wins every time in any discussion of the theoretical limits of two cartridges. Isn't there about a 25% advantage in favor of a 30-30? I'd say that pretty well says it all.

Yes, a souped-up 7.62 X39 fired from a nice bolt gun will do about the same job on a deer as a factory 30-30 up to a point, but having spent a good part of my life around KY hillbillies that spent the better part of their lives trying to make their 30-30's work like aught-sixes, I'd give the edge to the 30 WCF.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
D
DrDeath Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
The 7.62x39 is superior to the 30-30!

My boy has taken 5 deer with his mini30 and federal ammo!

D
DrDeath Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Also took two deer with dads ruger no.1 in 7.62x39!

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by shaman
When fielding questions regarding deer rifles, I frequently got the one: ". . . my BIL says I should by an SKS, 'cause it shoots gooder than my 30-30 and the ammo is cheaper."

Case capacity wins every time in any discussion of the theoretical limits of two cartridges. Isn't there about a 25% advantage in favor of a 30-30? I'd say that pretty well says it all.

Yes, a souped-up 7.62 X39 fired from a nice bolt gun will do about the same job on a deer as a factory 30-30 up to a point, but having spent a good part of my life around KY hillbillies that spent the better part of their lives trying to make their 30-30's work like aught-sixes, I'd give the edge to the 30 WCF.

Yep, and if you want to soup up the 30-30 with Paco kellys 40,000 cup handloads {same pressure the 444 Marlin is loaded to in the 336 action} it really stomps the 7.62x39.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shaman

I'll agree with you on the case capacity. The .30-30 will definitely be able to sling a heavier bullet at the same speed with lower pressure, or faster at the same pressure, assuming optimal powder choices.

It seems with the lighter bullets, though, that a case capacity advantage does not manifest itself so readily. I've run into this with comparisons of the .308/.30-06, and the .300 WinMag/.300 WeatherbyMag. In both instances, the lighter-bullet performance gap was less, but when a certain weight was reached, the larger case began to assert itself.

RE: .30-30 vs 7.62X39. Performance level is fairly close if you don't get too bug-eyed about numbers. As previously stated, both are deer-killing SOBs. One advantage the X39 enjoys is the spitzer bullets, it starts out with less but keeps what it has better. The .30-30 can chunk a heavier bullet at a usable velocity, so I'd feel better about using it on bigger game, within that bullet's working velocity window.

Loaded to similar pressure and similar bullets, I'd expect the difference to be much like that of the .30-06/.308 Win., that being as the bullet got heavier, the larger-capacity case would begin to show an advantage.

Either are "Deer killing SOBs".

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Yep, and if you want to soup up the 30-30 with Paco kellys 40,000 cup handloads {same pressure the 444 Marlin is loaded to in the 336 action} it really stomps the 7.62x39.

I've tried something like that with a .30-30 and a .45-70. With the .30-30, I wondered how long the brass would last. With the .45-70, I wondered how long I would last.....

Personally, I don't like to run .30-30 loads any hotter than 35.5 to 38.5 Kpsi, depending on Standard Deviation. The wider the SD, the lower my Max velocity will be.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I don't run my .30-30's hot either. No need really. These days I mostly just run factory loads. The 170 grain blue box Federals I was shooting yesterday were grouping just about MOA out of my 336 and they perform very well on deer. Just pointing out that if you want to push a .30-30 you can drive the 130 gr. Speer flat point to 2720 fps with 38.5 grs. of H322. Paco's data also shows the 125 gr. Sierra FNHP going 2975 fps with 38 grs. of H335 @ 39,600 CUP. A Marlin 336 .30-30 will usually let you know it's limits through sticky extraction long before dangerous pressures are reached.

Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (1lessdog, 12344mag, 1234, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 160user, 59 invisible), 2,372 guests, and 1,172 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,519
Posts18,491,007
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.