DrDeath Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by colodog
So DR.Death,
Apparently a 7.62x39 has been used successfully on deer past 100yds,
even though some folks prefer the 30-30 and are offended by any comparison of the two.

Good to know.

crazy!!!....

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by kingston
Which one of you works in the gun business?
I do azzhole. 8 years full time gunmithing. When the rest of you goobers have done that, plus hunted with, handloaded for and killed 75 deer with the .30-30 let me know.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I do azzhole. 8 years full time gunmithing. When the rest of you goobers have done that, plus hunted with, handloaded for and killed 75 deer with the .30-30 let me know.

rost495, easily and then some.

Just one, for example.

Out of curiosity, how many have you killed with the 7.62x39?

Last edited by 4ager; 11/06/16.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Is this some of your work?

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Moderator please move this thread to the Humor, Jokes, and Riddles forum.
Now it can be moved to the .223AI thread.
[Linked Image]

grin grin

I feel the need to way, way overpenetrate...

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
All that experience and you come off as smart as someone arguing over which is worse, eating a cat turd or dog turd? crazy

Last edited by calikooknic; 11/06/16.

Sean
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Not a .30/30.....

[Linked Image]

But a .300 Wby and 180 gr NP.
[Linked Image]

Also a 7x57 and a 160 gr SGK from last year.
[Linked Image]

Please post a pic of one you killed. smile

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Great pictures buddy! Looks like you and I have the same 7x57, too.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Thanks Chl and as far as the same 7x57...great minds. cool

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Thanks Chl and as far as the same 7x57...great minds. cool

Yep! grin

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide

LOL

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by calikooknic
Half dozen knowledgeable people and one blowhard, got it.
The "half dozen knowledgeable" is a f*ckin joke. The "blowhard" here is the only one involved who actually earns a living in the gun business and has for years. Of course, as usual, all the highly educated campfire amateurs actually know more than anybody else possibly could. What a pitiful bunch of ignorant slobs.

Originally Posted by 4ager

Just one, for example.

Okay, this part is just baffling. You're a custom gunsmith, for eight years. Great. How, exactly, that lends itself to field testing of ballistics of various rounds, though, is not clear. Are you saying that a gunsmith for a little less than a decade knows more that one of the top national competitive shooters who takes dozens of deer per year (that's being conservative) and no counting how many hogs managing properties in TX? Would it make as much sense to say that a gunsmith would somehow know more about the terminal performance of various cartridges and loads than say someone like Steve Timm (used to be a member) who was a jeweler by trade and killed more stuff than most would ever believe possible? Or, taking it to archery, that a custom builder or customizer of bows with their own shop would know more about the terminal performance of broadheads than Dr. Ashby because Ashby is a physician by trade and the other guy is "in the business"?

Of course not.

That's no insult on your smithing abilities at all; they are simply a non-sequitur unless they are directly involved in the field testing and performance of various cartridges and loads.

The other baffling part is that you can, and have, interacted here on a multitude of subjects without being a complete jackass. Why this particular thread has you running jackass +P+ levels is a head scratcher.

Last edited by 4ager; 11/06/16.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Just one, for example.

Rost has never impressed me much at all frankly. He likes to brag about killing deer at exteme distances sure but no good hunter needs to do that. Particularly someplace like Texas where deer are thick and easy to kill in numbers. If he's your hero for some reason, so be it. BTW you've mentioned the "limited" amount of tags available in NY a couple of times so lets clear some of that up. I have 5 tags for this season right now. A gun season buck tag, two DMP doe tags, which can be used in gun, bow, crossbow or muzzleloader season, an either sex bow/ muzzleloader tag and an antlerless only bow/muzzleloader tag. This is normal and can be done every year. Beyond that there are special management areas in certain DMU'S where you can get unlimited doe tags. There is one 15 minutes from where I work and I have participated in the past. A friend of mine killed 12 does last year in one of those areas plus 2 bucks on his regular tags for a total of 14 all legally harvested. I myself lost count many years ago but I figure I've killed at least 200 and that's being conservative. In short, I am no newbie to killing deer or examining the terminal effects of various bullets/calibers. As stated previously, I have killed nearly 80 deer with a .30-30 , several of those with handloads using 125 and 130 gr. bullets which virtually duplicated the standard factory ballistics of the 7.62 x 39. Yes, those loads killed deer, no they were not as good as a 170 grain bullet at 2200fps due to reduced penetration.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by shaman
When fielding questions regarding deer rifles, I frequently got the one: ". . . my BIL says I should by an SKS, 'cause it shoots gooder than my 30-30 and the ammo is cheaper."

Case capacity wins every time in any discussion of the theoretical limits of two cartridges. Isn't there about a 25% advantage in favor of a 30-30? I'd say that pretty well says it all.

Yes, a souped-up 7.62 X39 fired from a nice bolt gun will do about the same job on a deer as a factory 30-30 up to a point, but having spent a good part of my life around KY hillbillies that spent the better part of their lives trying to make their 30-30's work like aught-sixes, I'd give the edge to the 30 WCF.

Yep, and if you want to soup up the 30-30 with Paco kellys 40,000 cup handloads {same pressure the 444 Marlin is loaded to in the 336 action} it really stomps the 7.62x39.

And what deer bullet does Paco Kelly recommend above all others for the .30-30? The Speer 130. It has radically better SD than a 125...

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Just one, for example.

Rost has never impressed me much at all frankly. He likes to brag about killing deer at exteme distances sure but no good hunter needs to do that. Particularly someplace like Texas where deer are thick and easy to kill in numbers. If he's your hero for some reason, so be it. BTW you've mentioned the "limited" amount of tags available in NY a couple of times so lets clear some of that up. I have 5 tags for this season right now. A gun season buck tag, two DMP doe tags, which can be used in gun, bow, crossbow or muzzleloader season, an either sex bow/ muzzleloader tag and an antlerless only bow/muzzleloader tag. This is normal and can be done every year. Beyond that there are special management areas in certain DMU'S where you can get unlimited doe tags. There is one 15 minutes from where I work and I have participated in the past. A friend of mine killed 12 does last year in one of those areas plus 2 bucks on his regular tags for a total of 14 all legally harvested. I myself lost count many years ago but I figure I've killed at least 200 and that's being conservative. In short, I am no newbie to killing deer or examining the terminal effects of various bullets/calibers. As stated previously, I have killed nearly 80 deer with a .30-30 , several of those with handloads using 125 and 130 gr. bullets which virtually duplicated the standard factory ballistics of the 7.62 x 39. Yes, those loads killed deer, no they were not as good as a 170 grain bullet at 2200fps due to reduced penetration.

your last sentence sort of underscores why so.many think you're fugg in retarded

if the 170s killed deer, and the 125s killed deer. then you can't logically state that the 125s were not as good as the 170s. unless you have a scientific protocol that demands x amount of penetration in order for a certain round to be adequate.

however, seeing that the point of hunting deer is to kill them. then dead is dead...regardless of the amount of penetration

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
The 30 WCF is a great cartridge, the 7.62x39mm is good as well, but my pick is the 300 Blackout. I predict it will be the end of the 30-30.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
The 30 WCF is a great cartridge, the 7.62x39mm is good as well, but my pick is the 300 Blackout. I predict it will be the end of the 30-30.

The .30-30 will be around as long as Grumman aluminum canoes, .45ACPs, and cockroaches.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Just one, for example.

Can you point out where I said rost was my hero? No? Didn't think so. I brought him up because of your insistence on one of us having at least the level of experiences in certain areas you have. Jeff tops that, and easily so. You're not impressed? Oh well, the experience is there in spades. He's FAR from a braggart as well, very, very rarely mentioning who he is or what he has done.

NY certainly HAS had far more limited tags that what you may now have. They certainly have not had that liberal a bag limit except for just a recent few years. There were many years when the legal limit was way less than 5. To kill more than 200 in NY, assuming no travel to any other state, you'd be looking at filling all legal tags for 50 years or better; at least 40. That's a Hell of a long stretch, which you may well have accomplished. Killing 200 or more in places like TX or other Southern states (SC, for example) can be done in less than a decade, if one sets out to do so. Hell, there are areas in NC that have no daily limit and no season limit; shoot as many as you want from Sept to Jan. There are a lot of other people who aren't newbies to killing deer or terminal ballistics, either; perhaps you should understand that.

You say you've killed almost 80 with the .30-30. Great. How many with the 7.62x39, and which loads?

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Don't know why you need a .30 cal anything to kill a deer....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (1OntarioJim, 1minute, 1234, 1badf350, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 56 invisible), 2,458 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,567
Posts18,491,825
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.