Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B

I have a quick moving chance to uproot myself and wife and move to the Buffalo/Sheriden area of WY.

We had planned to move west, but not for a couple of years. I just stumbled across a software engineering related job in Sheriden, we are working our end to see if the finances work out for us (career change/pay change).

Can someone give me some info on:

- Weather, snow, heat etc in that area.
- Local folks hunting? We hunted Buffalo with an outfitter this year on leased land. What's around for locals to hunt?

How do you like living in that area?

The way this is playing out, it could force a decision on us very quickly, so we are looking for info from all over, any help would be appreciated.

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Jump on it with both feet!

Thank me later!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Bob, Go to USA.com on the internet, you can get a wealth of info on anywhere in the nation! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
PM DoubleCK (Craig)......He's lived in Sheridan forever...

And YES....by all means...take the job....

Luck

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Bob, I'm right across the hill from Buffalo/Sheridan, and the difference is astounding. There: moisture (+),moderate weather(+), close to interstate/larger city(-), more people(-), grass/trees(+), very pretty area(+), foothills of Big Horn Mountains(+), low crime(+),higher real estate prices(-), in Wyoming(+)(+)(+)!

On my side: low crime(+), hot summers(-),very dry(-),colder winters(-), not as pretty(-), no interstate/farther to large city(+), lower real estate prices(+), still in Wyoming(+)(+)(+)!

In Wyoming,a few miles geographically can make a huge difference in terrain! Good Luck, there as far worse places to live! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you were planning on moving "in a couple of years," don't look a gift horse in the mouth. Sheridan is a nice little town with a nice dowtown, lots of sculptures and close proximity to a lot of outdoor activities. Buffalo is a smaller community that also is pretty. The nearby Bighorn National Forest has 1.1 million acres of public land including 189,000 acres of wilderness. We could live in that area were it not for having an established life farther south.

There has been a lot of money in Sheridan, but budget issues and the oil, gas and coal downturn have taken a toll on the state in the short run. With the election of Trump on Tuesday, and a potential for an uptick in oil, gas and coal production, the present may be the best time in the near future to get in.

Research the weather data and talk to the locals. I can't really help you there.

Best of luck!

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I love that area. I would jump all over that

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Take the Job, and read what Cheyenne said.
Buffalo and Sheridan, two nice cities and areas.
Couldn't ask for better.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
That be nice to live there.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Take the chance. Take the job. WY is awesome. Sheridan is a cool town.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bob_H_in_NH

I have a quick moving chance to uproot myself and wife and move to the Buffalo/Sheriden area of WY.

We had planned to move west, but not for a couple of years. I just stumbled across a software engineering related job in Sheriden, we are working our end to see if the finances work out for us (career change/pay change).

Can someone give me some info on:

- Weather, snow, heat etc in that area.
- Local folks hunting? We hunted Buffalo with an outfitter this year on leased land. What's around for locals to hunt?

How do you like living in that area?

The way this is playing out, it could force a decision on us very quickly, so we are looking for info from all over, any help would be appreciated.

That may be one of the top 1 or 2 places to live in Wyoming. It's Wyoming. TONS of public land. Sheridan and Buffalo sit on the east slope of the Bighorns. Elk, Mulies abound there and antelope may take a short drive to get to BLM land, but it's not far. You need to make it happen. Opportunities to live and work professionally in Sheridan aren't easy to come by. Make it so!

Last edited by WyColoCowboy; 11/10/16.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Do it. I moved west in 77, best decision I ever made.

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks, keep the opinions coming! We spent a week in Buffalo in early October and loved the general area. Big Horns were amazing! People we met were great.

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Bon_H_in_NH: I have spent a LOT of time in the Sheridan/Buffalo area of Wyoming and I highly recommend you uproot and move there.
Lots to do, lots to Hunt (Antelope, Elk, Mule Deer and some Whitetailed Deer), lots of places for Varmint and predator Hunting as well.
Unlimited outdoor recreation from fishing to hiking to star gazing, to snowmobiling, snow skiing, cross country skiing, back packing and on and on.
The AMAZING Bighorn Mountains will be right in your back yard!
I have spent 18 winters in Montana and the winters here have posed NO problem for me or my family - we were formally born and raised city folk.
I live about 400 miles from Sheridan but get through there often.
Good hospitals in Billings and our children got WONDERFUL educations here in SW Montana - hopefully that country accountability in education carries over to north central Wyoming in case you have/will have children.
I do know the fuel prices in Sheridan are very low.
Not sure about electricity.
My friends that live there say the taxes are low as well.
Best of luck to you if you "go for it"!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
thanks Varmit Guy! We are actually on the other end with kids, they are 24 and 26, out of college, out of the house and on their way to productive lives of their own. both have great girlfriends, both of which will be our daughter-in-laws (one next October!).

Honestly I am the one with cold feet here. I am born and raised in New England. Grew up in MA and am the family "rebel", I moved a whole hour away to NH! My wife on the other hand is an air force brat and has lived all over the world, moving is nothing to her!

As she says, they make airplanes for us to visit our future grandchildren!

this is making me feel better and better, now to follow through on the next steps, real estate search, we will "clear" a bit over $300K selling our house here, so have that to play with for house out there!

Absolutely LOVE the idea of the hunting out there!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Live free or Wyoming eh?

"Hey jackass, get your government off my freedom."
MOLON LABE
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have spent much time in Buffalo and Sheridan. Love the area.

The little town of Story between Buffalo and Sheridan is worth looking into.

Please remember one thing, don't bring any city values with you.
Don't say this is how we used to do it back home etc....

Don't be in a hurry. If you want work done during hunting/fishing/snowmobiling season etc... be patient.

Good luck and I expect as an outdoors-man and campfire member you will love it and fit in.

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
No one has mentioned the wind.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Bob - I know almost nothing about Wyoming except having hunted there twice during the winter. It can be cold!

However, I do understand climate and I can get the weather lowdown for you:

Sheridan, Wyoming, gets 15 inches of rain per year. The US average is 37. The number of days with any measurable precipitation is 104.

On average, there are 208 sunny days per year in Sheridan, Wyoming. Average annual snowfall is 28 inches.

The July average high is around 86 degrees. The January average low is 9. (note: that's an AVERAGE. There will be much colder days, and much warmer)

Overall, temperatures aren't that much different than most areas in New Hampshire, except it will be a lot less humid and you'll get a lot less snow (28 inches vs 61 inches in NH).

Less humidity makes hot temps more bearable and means you'll have cool nights even during the hottest times of the summer, while east coast summer nights can be miserably warm and humid.

Last edited by czech1022; 11/10/16.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I can only speak as a frequent visitor not as a resident. The opportunity to have desirable employment in one of the finest small cities in the USA should be seen as a godsend. You will be emerging yourself into a vastly different, and to me, far more enlightened culture than that of the east.

You will also extend to your future grandkids the opportunity to experience a totally different world. Big country expands ones mental and spiritual horizons. The level of civility of true western towns always surprises and soothes me. Good luck, grab that ring.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 1badf350, 007FJ, 160user, 51 invisible), 9,684 guests, and 1,026 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,362
Posts18,546,939
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.