Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I am in the process of acquiring gear for an Elk hunt that I am planning for my Father (Mid 60’s) and I next year (our first Elk hunt and first ever hunt out west). With Black Friday just around the corner I am trying to make a list of “necessary” items to look out for. We are planning to purchase OTC CO rifle tags and will more than likely be hunting somewhere around Durango/Pagosa Springs due to proximity to Oklahoma. I have looked at some hunters pack lists and unfortunately I don’t have 10K to spend on all the gear so I am looking for a list of must have items. I don’t have to have the “best” as I need to make my dollar go as far as possible so I am very interested in where “good enough” will work and save me some money. I know that I don’t want to skimp on boots but are there layering systems similar to Sitka at a more affordable price? We will be setting up camp and will be hiking in and out on a daily basis (not doing a back country backpack hunt). We are learning as we go but also trying not to recreate the wheel.

I have a pretty good grasp on the optics side of things.

Thanks in advance for all of your thoughts, comments, and suggestions.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
After making certain you have the rifle/scope/binocular/range finder part of it, I'd say the next thing would be a good day pack as well as a pack frame. I picked one up for $65 @ wally world that worked just fine. After that, I'd say tent, pads, sleeping bags, folding tables, chairs, cooking equipment, fire starting equipment and coolers. ONE large one for any meat you take home for each of you, and at least 1 or 2 in the 45-65 qt range for food-stuffs.
Depending upon which season you're going, 1st you won't need anything more than what you hunt with there in Ok. 2nd can still be fairly warm, highs this year were in the 50-s - 70's depending upon the unit.3rd season can bring snow and temps below freezing to up to around the 40's-50's. Any decent clothing that you can layer will do.
I'm sure I've left some things out. Someone else can come along and fill in more.
I wouldn't look at getting EVERYTHING you need on Black Friday, you'd probably spend the 10k you were afraid of. Pick things up as the year goes along.
Good luck!

Support your local Friends of NRA - supporting Youth Shooting Sports for more than 20 years.

Neither guns nor Liberals have a brain.

Whatever you do, Pay it Forward. - Kids are the future of the hunting and shooting world.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
This thought is made under the assumption that you're staying in a tent. A long time ago a young man(only in his twsenties) told me. The two most important things for a hunter(western) to have(above guns,scopes,binos,ect.) are a good sleeping bag and good boots. If you don't get good rest at night, you're only good for a few days. If you're feet hurt, your not hunting! It made sense to me then, and I think that it's still valid today! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
First, no cotton. Do NOT go to the mountains elk hunting in cotton. You dont need Sitka (although it is awesome and check Sierra Trading Post and Camofire for some occasional great deals on Sitka and other brands), but you do need merino wool or synthetics that wick moisture and dont leave you wet after a strong hike.

I recommend giving Schnees boots a hard look. The Beartooth.

windicator is cheap and can be priceless.

1st season you may still hear them bugling. Go buy Elknut's Playbook for sure.

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Daypack is almost as critical as boots, its that close. They provide comfort and safety and ability to keep going. I have a badlands super day, there's no shortage of good day packs on the market, try them and get after it.

Wool clothes aren't hard to find. I like First Lite, others like what they like. They're a necessary component although this fall denim has served a lot of people well.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
IC B2

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Running shoes to get in shape before you go,and good broken in boots for when you are hunting. these things will go along way towards your hunt being more enjoyable. a word of caution...elk hunting is addicting!! Good luck and have fun!!

There is a reason why you never hear of anyone shooting a 308 winchester AI.... It can't be improved upon!! Molon Labe
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

Boots, sleeping bag/pad, daypack and pack frame have all been mentioned, and good wool / synthetic clothes. These are all critical.
I don't know about the weather around your hunting area, but suggest if rain or snow is a possibility that you also consider a good waterproof or waterproof/breathable jacket with attached hood. Rain gear is so important when you need it that it can mean life or death.

If you want to maximize your hunting dollar, consider doing without some electronics. I know it's borderline sacrilege in some long range shooting circles, but with any reasonable elk cartridge/scope combo you won't need a rangefinder if you are within 300 - 350 yards, and most people should stalk closer if they're farther away than that.
If you are competent with map and compass, you don't really need a GPS.

A folding saw and meat bags are something deer hunters often don't think about. Saws are handy for more than just sawing bone and are lighter than a hatchet.
I don't hunt elk without a cow call in my pocket. I can't count the number of times I've calmed an elk down that I've accidentally bumped into when sneaking around and pretending I'm being quiet. If you can't be quiet enough - sound like an elk.
You mentioned you have a good handle on optics, my advice is once you get into good elk habitat, to use your binoculars more and boots less.
Good luck!

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Headlamp
Kennetrek Gaiters
Rangefinder
Tripod with binocular adapter
Binoculars that will accept a tripod adapter

A million other things, but definitely no cotton as stated above.

RLTW
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Hoochie Mama cow call.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
A good daypack for sure, I also have a badlands superday and it has served me well for over 5 years now. Nothing broken or ripped yet. And as far as boots, I bought and used soloman gtx hikers this year and they were outstanding. Hardly any break in and not a hotspot or sore spot 1 after hiking 6 to 10 miles a day with a daypack and a heavy elk load once over 9 days of hunting. Good boots and good sleeping bag are crucial indeed, I agree.

Another thing I would add that most overlook is hydration. A good camelback and a nalgene at camp. Pick up some nuun electrolyte tablets or gatorade mix and drink it everyday. Also eat your rationed and planned out food, EVERYDAY. All of it. I had 2 hunting buddies drop out of hunts during the day because of this. I shared my electrolytes and he was good to go before long. Hydrate like crazy, it is dry in colorado. Look up soleadventure.com and check out his gear list, it is thorough and well thought out.

Something about the indian and the arrow...
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by castnblast

Boots, sleeping bag/pad, daypack and pack frame have all been mentioned, and good wool / synthetic clothes. These are all critical.
I don't know about the weather around your hunting area, but suggest if rain or snow is a possibility that you also consider a good waterproof or waterproof/breathable jacket with attached hood. Rain gear is so important when you need it that it can mean life or death.

If you want to maximize your hunting dollar, consider doing without some electronics. I know it's borderline sacrilege in some long range shooting circles, but with any reasonable elk cartridge/scope combo you won't need a rangefinder if you are within 300 - 350 yards, and most people should stalk closer if they're farther away than that.
If you are competent with map and compass, you don't really need a GPS.

A folding saw and meat bags are something deer hunters often don't think about. Saws are handy for more than just sawing bone and are lighter than a hatchet.
I don't hunt elk without a cow call in my pocket. I can't count the number of times I've calmed an elk down that I've accidentally bumped into when sneaking around and pretending I'm being quiet. If you can't be quiet enough - sound like an elk.
You mentioned you have a good handle on optics, my advice is once you get into good elk habitat, to use your binoculars more and boots less.
Good luck!

Awesome post, however I can use a map and compass and always have mine in my pack. I seldom use it, after buying a good GPS though. I love my GPS, it's an essential part of my equipment. We should go into great detail of what's hidden inside our day packs. What you put in there is as critical as anything else about the hunt. Here's a list of what's in mine:

1. Waterproof matches and lighter.
2. Nylon rope (about 20')
3. paracord (about 20')
4. Knife set with saw. I prefer the 2 knife and saw kit, made by outdoor edge, called the Kodi Pak knife set.
5. Small first aid kit
6. Map of the area.
7. Lensatic compass
8. T.P
9. Food: Jerky, roasted almonds, m&m's, dried fruit etc. etc....
10. Water
11. Waterproof jacket
12. Warm hat
13. Gloves (water proof)
14. Small thing of electrical tape
15. Batteries for flashlights and GPS (at least 2 sets for each)
16. Headlamp (2)
17. 2 small led flashlights
18. Disposable package of field dressing gloves.
19. Small whistle
20. Small packets of anti-fog glass cleaning wipes.
21. Emergency blanket.
22. Small knife sharpener.
23. GPS
24. Small camera, if you are that worried about taking pictures of your critter like many here. My GPS has a camera built in, so I don't pack a separate camera around...

Am I missing anything??? I definitely agree about using your binoculars. I am always wearing mine and use a semi-compact set (8x32 mojaves) that weigh about a pound and are comfortable enough that they are barely noticeable. This is what's in my pack. Others may vary.

As far as other gear you need:

1. Extremely reliable rifle #1!!
2. Scope that isn't going to crap out on you during the hunt.
3. Excellent pair of lightweight binoculars.
4. Laser range finder is only necessary if you plan on shooting past 350-400 yards. Most of my elk have fallen between 30-100 yards so a LRF has never been part of my list of "needed" gear for elk hunting. However, it all depends on the landscape, where you are hunting.
5. At least 2 good pairs of WELL BROKEN IN boots. Switch them out every other day if you are hunting in solid rain or snow.
6. As someone else mentioned: Kenetrek gaiters or similar gaiters. You'll be glad you bought these.
7. Good comfortable warm socks.
8. Good lightweight COMFORTABLE pack frame.
9. Insulated Gortex pants if temps get down near freezing.
10. Long johns (top and bottoms).
11. My elk hunting partner and I have both started wearing those camo baseball caps with LED lights in them. Those are awesome for hands free lighting when gutting out a critter or even walking out of the woods at night. I've used mine quite a lot in the last few years..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
You can certainly go overboard on elk hunting gear, I know that I don't really need anything new but try and get better every year without spending too much.

Assuming your optics and rifle have you set from 10 to 450 yards you probably have everything you'll ever need there. If you are camping it is normal gear with a little more emphasis on cold and wet just in case.

Good waterproof boots well broken in are #1 without a doubt. It is nice to have uninsulated-400 light pair, middle cold 800's and one 1000+ to cover all weather but I've never needed more than the 800's for chasing elk.

I like wool with polypropylene under layers when needed - doesn't need to be fancy Camo wool regular Codet pants and Woolrich shirts from eBay work great for not much money, the idea is to get them bloody, spray camp dry on the butt and seat and you are hood except in rain, a light rain jacket and pants are nice to carry.

Ive switched to just one frame pack and I'm an optimist so I carry game bags , the good Walmart variety that will be reusable with a couple of bleached washings.

Knowing how to cut up an elk- gutless method preferred is important. YouTube has lots of help.

Getting in great shape and staying hydrated are the most basic things you can do to succeed.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
FYI, a LOT of my hunting gear has come from Goodwill.

you need not be broke to hunt them!

First teach a child to love God, second teach him to love family, third teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. Cotton Cordell
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Rifles being used:
Dad: Remington 700 chambered in .270
Me: Wby Vanguard S2 chambered in .308

Scopes:
Dad: Sightron SII 4.5-14X42.
Me: I'm gonna pick up a SWFA SS 6X or a good versatile 3x9. I am very open to suggestions here.

Binos:
Dad: Leupold Yosemite 6x30
Me: Tract Toric 8x32

Spotting Scope: Leupold Gold Ring SD 12-40 x60

Rangfinder: Sig Kilo 2000

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good luck and have fun. It's easy to pack more crap than a guy needs to hunt elk.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
No point in camo during rifle season, so you can save some money there. Cruise craigslist and ebay for used gear. BSA pretty much covered everything else. Time is worth more than fancy underwear and italian boots. I spend my money on vacation days from work.

Guys have been hunting in jeans and workboots for generations, you'll live if you get wet. But for good gods sake, don't leave camp without a gps. It can be damn hard to find your tent in the middle of the woods in deadfall in the dark with a map and compass.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Hardly mentioned: TWO good, sharp knives. It's easy to run one dull while handling a big animal or two, and I'd much rather just grab a second one than try to sharpen one that's covered with blood and fat, especially at the end of a long, hard day just as daylight is giving out.

I also carry a multitool - it can be a lifesaver.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good boots that fit your feet.

Merino wool socks, liners and regular.

Try STP for some icebreaker merino wool long under wear. I wear the tops just like a shirt. Get the lightweight versions.

I use cabelas microtec pants.

Marmot precip rainwear check STP for those too.

Some kind of puffy insulating jacket. Cabelas has these on sale a bunch too. You can pay a bunch for these for the famous brands, but you don't have to.

STP for balaclavas.

When it's real cold I wear army surplus wool pants and heavy weight long
johns.

I guide and hunt quite a bit in Wy and I don't have any of the Kuiu, Sitka stuff. Too much money for me.

I don't care for camo much either, but a bunch of my stuff is just because it was the style and material I wanted at a good price.

Last edited by Ralphie; 11/13/16.
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Meat bags!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I haven't read this entire thread so I apologize if my suggestions are a repeat.

extra socks in your pack-They'll feel so good when you change them during a mid-day break, when the elk are bedded down anyhow.

baler's twine or 550 cord (parachute cord) to hang quarters over night. Don't just lay them on the ground or even balanced on some bushes. You may shoot an elk in a place easy to get it out the same day, but most of my elk come out over two days and I much prefer to properly hang the quarters during the trips in and out, especially when they're there overnight.

Havalon piranha w/ extra blades. I also pack a sturdy fixed blade, but rarely use it anymore.

something to carry water in your pack. Don't just drink water at camp before you leave and when you get back at night. It'll amaze you how drinking lots of water during the day will allow you to keep hiking with quarters on your back.

Flagging tape-use it to mark your kill and allow you to slowly approach it the next morning and make sure a bear is not on it. You'll find other uses for it too, just like when whitetail hunting.

Put 1-2 road flares in your pack-if you spend an unexpected night on the hill (and if you elk hunt long enough, you will) forget about wood chips soaked in kerosene, cotton balls dipped in vaseline, or other boy scout "advice". A road flare from Walmart gives you a guaranteed 15 minutes of high quality flame, and if shoved into a pile of even soaking wet branches, will get you a fire going. A 3 pack will run you about $6. A lighter and/or matches are good to have too, but road flares that have been kept properly are a game changer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

379 members (10Glocks, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 160user, 1badf350, 35 invisible), 1,884 guests, and 1,185 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,633
Posts18,493,125
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.