Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Lots of good information.
I might have missed the binocular harness if someone already mentioned.
I think baby wipes can be helpful. And some hand sanitizer.
I carry a couple zip ties and few garbage bags.
I am an advocate for nitrile gloves for wet work if it is below freezing. Peeling the blood off will keep your hands warmer and cleaner going back into insulated gloves and if you like to eat heart you can peal the glove off over the heart and keep it clean.
I think the rest has already been covered.

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Some have recommended a day pack plus a pack frame. That will work but lots of guys just use a good full-sized internal frame pack that cinches down which is my preference. That way, you can pack out a full load of meat without going back for the pack frame, and a full-sized pack is not very different than a good-sized day pack as far as ease of carrying, noise, etc.

The main thing is, be prepared to cut up a large animal on the side of a mountain, in the dark if necessary. Have everything you need with you (not in the truck) including a plastic sheet or garbage bags to lay the meat on while you're cutting it, and be able to hang quarters in a tree while you're hauling meat.

Don't leave those details to figure out after the animal is on the ground. Including the length of the haul out, and whether you hunt uphill or downhill.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by smokepole
Some have recommended a day pack plus a pack frame. That will work but lots of guys just use a good full-sized internal frame pack that cinches down which is my preference. That way, you can pack out a full load of meat without going back for the pack frame, and a full-sized pack is not very different than a good-sized day pack as far as ease of carrying, noise, etc.

The main thing is, be prepared to cut up a large animal on the side of a mountain, in the dark if necessary. Have everything you need with you (not in the truck) including a plastic sheet or garbage bags to lay the meat on while you're cutting it, and be able to hang quarters in a tree while you're hauling meat.

Don't leave those details to figure out after the animal is on the ground. Including the length of the haul out, and whether you hunt uphill or downhill.

I've actually found that a decent internal frame pack moderately loaded carries a whole lot better than my day pack with no frame that's lightly loaded.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Timbermaster
Meat bags!

Pillow cases work great for this. You can get 2 for $5 at Walmart. They keep the meat clean and are about the right size for packing when full of boned out meat. A cheap tarp also works beautifully to keep things clean while cutting and skinning.

I highly recommend that you learn the 'gutless' method of quarting and taking care of your elk once he is down. You need a plan when one of those big suckers hits the ground. It can be overwhelming if your not ready for it. But, if you know what your doing you can cut one up and haul it out by yourself in a reasonable amount of time. Good luck.

Last edited by centershot; 11/15/16.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by ajmorell
Originally Posted by smokepole

I've actually found that a decent internal frame pack moderately loaded carries a whole lot better than my day pack with no frame that's lightly loaded.

Very true, especially if you're loaded up with a couple liters of water, cold weather gear, and everything you need to process an animal in the field.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Perfect timing for this post as I just had a friend and newbie hunter tell me he is looking to do a Colorado elk hunt this fall. I recommended the fire for advice. FYI, I am a fan of Kuiu gear. I've never had anything as quiet and breathable keep me so dry.

Last edited by Stick1330; 11/15/16.

If it was easy, everybody would do it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Rifle, license, clean underwear. Everything else is optional. smile

Good advice above. I would add 4x4 and tire chains for all 4.

Wife got me a GPS and Delorme InReach ("Help I've fallen and can't get up") satellite-based emergency locator a couple years ago. The GPS has color maps with landowner info that is very useful if hunting the edges of public land, as well as helping you get back to your vehicle. The InReach sends out signals at 10-minute intervals and allows wife to track me on a web page. Keeps her happy when I'm not in cell phone range. If I ever fall and can't get up, it will keep me happy, too. Neither is required and I didn't have them for the first 33 years or more but am glad I do now.

Two other items I didn't see mentioned above but may have missed.

1. Water purification tablets or filter device.

2. Aspirin. Helps keep the blood thin and fend off altitude sickness.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sooner:

Since you will be car camping then it doesn't really matter what gear you take as long as you take enough. Take it all. You've got room and you don't have to carry it on your back. I hope you have done some camping around home so you are not trying to learn to hunt elk and learn to camp at the same time.

You always have the vehicle as a backup for environmental protection and you can drive into town and pickup something that you forgot. So "good enough" actually is good enough. Things get expensive when you are trying to reduce weight and when you have to rely on that lightweight gear to save your life in an emergency or miserable storm. You're not going to be in that situation.

However, I will offer one piece of advice that you might consider. BUY THE BEST THE FIRST TIME. It's a lot cheaper. I've been buying gear for fifty years and for a long time I was always trying to save a few bucks by thinking I could get along with "good enough". Eventually I bought better stuff then the best stuff. So I have three or four of everything. I've always been on a budget just like you. However, it would have been cheaper for me to get along without something, than to buy the inexpensive item and buy the better item later.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by castnblast

Boots, sleeping bag/pad, daypack and pack frame have all been mentioned, and good wool / synthetic clothes. These are all critical.
I don't know about the weather around your hunting area, but suggest if rain or snow is a possibility that you also consider a good waterproof or waterproof/breathable jacket with attached hood. Rain gear is so important when you need it that it can mean life or death.

If you want to maximize your hunting dollar, consider doing without some electronics. I know it's borderline sacrilege in some long range shooting circles, but with any reasonable elk cartridge/scope combo you won't need a rangefinder if you are within 300 - 350 yards, and most people should stalk closer if they're farther away than that.
If you are competent with map and compass, you don't really need a GPS.

A folding saw and meat bags are something deer hunters often don't think about. Saws are handy for more than just sawing bone and are lighter than a hatchet.
I don't hunt elk without a cow call in my pocket. I can't count the number of times I've calmed an elk down that I've accidentally bumped into when sneaking around and pretending I'm being quiet. If you can't be quiet enough - sound like an elk.
You mentioned you have a good handle on optics, my advice is once you get into good elk habitat, to use your binoculars more and boots less.
Good luck!

Awesome post, however I can use a map and compass and always have mine in my pack. I seldom use it, after buying a good GPS though. I love my GPS, it's an essential part of my equipment. We should go into great detail of what's hidden inside our day packs. What you put in there is as critical as anything else about the hunt. Here's a list of what's in mine:

1. Waterproof matches and lighter.
2. Nylon rope (about 20')
3. paracord (about 20')
4. Knife set with saw. I prefer the 2 knife and saw kit, made by outdoor edge, called the Kodi Pak knife set.
5. Small first aid kit
6. Map of the area.
7. Lensatic compass
8. T.P
9. Food: Jerky, roasted almonds, m&m's, dried fruit etc. etc....
10. Water
11. Waterproof jacket
12. Warm hat
13. Gloves (water proof)
14. Small thing of electrical tape
15. Batteries for flashlights and GPS (at least 2 sets for each)
16. Headlamp (2)
17. 2 small led flashlights
18. Disposable package of field dressing gloves.
19. Small whistle
20. Small packets of anti-fog glass cleaning wipes.
21. Emergency blanket.
22. Small knife sharpener.
23. GPS
24. Small camera, if you are that worried about taking pictures of your critter like many here. My GPS has a camera built in, so I don't pack a separate camera around...

Am I missing anything??? I definitely agree about using your binoculars. I am always wearing mine and use a semi-compact set (8x32 mojaves) that weigh about a pound and are comfortable enough that they are barely noticeable. This is what's in my pack. Others may vary.

As far as other gear you need:

1. Extremely reliable rifle #1!!338 win mag
2. Scope that isn't going to crap out on you during the hunt.
3. Excellent pair of lightweight binoculars.
4. Laser range finder is only necessary if you plan on shooting past 350-400 yards. Most of my elk have fallen between 30-100 yards so a LRF has never been part of my list of "needed" gear for elk hunting. However, it all depends on the landscape, where you are hunting.
5. At least 2 good pairs of WELL BROKEN IN boots. Switch them out every other day if you are hunting in solid rain or snow.
6. As someone else mentioned: Kenetrek gaiters or similar gaiters. You'll be glad you bought these.
7. Good comfortable warm socks.
8. Good lightweight COMFORTABLE pack frame.
9. Insulated Gortex pants if temps get down near freezing.
10. Long johns (top and bottoms).
11. My elk hunting partner and I have both started wearing those camo baseball caps with LED lights in them. Those are awesome for hands free lighting when gutting out a critter or even walking out of the woods at night. I've used mine quite a lot in the last few years..
Edited

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Havalon as others said with an extra blade or 2..
I got one with 10 blades on amazon for 40$. I like to have that in my fanny pack, I like a fixed blade on my hip.
Leatherman or similar.
gerber has a folding saw.... but all depends if you go gutless method or not.
I always have a whistle and a lighter in my fanny pack. Extra batteries for your flash light, walkie talkie and GPS
pack accordingly.
Are you going for 4 hour hunt 1-2 miles from camp/truck. Or 8 hour 3-5 miles out.
This year we shot an elk about 1/2 mile (as the crow flies) from camp. I had piece of 4 mil plastic about 5x6 in my fanny pack. my bud started gutless and laid the meat on to the plastic while I ran to camp to get packs.

OR are you asking what to get for camp? cause that is a long list.

Last edited by Dre; 11/17/16.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (1badf350, 10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 22kHornet, 58 invisible), 2,244 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,363
Posts18,506,380
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.