OP Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Anyone on here hunting Wva next week ?

GB1

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Not I, but I wish I were... Some of the best whitetail hunting I have ever known was in that state... I loved it so much I considered moving there when I retired.. Sadly it is gone now, raped by the developers from D.C. W. Va. had the best hunting I have ever seen east of the big river...

Molon Labe
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
That's a shame about the developement . Me and some friends have a camp near Spruce Knob. The 2 weeks of rifle season there is no place i'd rather be.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Spruce Knob!! Been there!! Beautiful!! I hunted near Romney with some old mountaineers!!!! God how I loved that place at that time!!

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Depends. I'm seeing so many deer, including nice bucks, on the VA farm I'm hunting, that it'll depend on who shows up on the farm for the rifle opener and if I can fill my Earn-a-Buck doe tag before then. With one in the freezer, I'm definitely not getting a $20 WV extra buck tag. The big boy I saw Sunday evening on the farm really has my attention. I've never seen anything on the local WV WMA that comes close to that one. The VA rifle season opens Saturday and I've got three days of ML season before that.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good luck guys. There's just nothing quite like the opener.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Troutnut
That's a shame about the developement . Me and some friends have a camp near Spruce Knob. The 2 weeks of rifle season there is no place i'd rather be.

I have hunted the Spruce Knob area......that is some big woods right there!!

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Spruce Knob!! Been there!! Beautiful!! I hunted near Romney with some old mountaineers!!!! God how I loved that place at that time!!
Originally Posted by 300MAG

I have hunted the Spruce Knob area......that is some big woods right there!!
Yes Spruce Knob is a beautiful area and some big woods by eastern standards. I bet it's some deer there that still haven't seen a hunter.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
That's beautiful country 'up there' whichever side of the WV/VA state line you are on.

FJB & FJT
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Raeford
That's beautiful country 'up there' whichever side of the WV/VA state line you are on.
We'll I live in Va but I have a camp near Franklin Wv and we have the place in Randolph County.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Yep.

Off work all week.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I know when I was back visiting family in August and September I saw some real monsters on my cousin's farm and also grazing in cemeteries in the early morning.....

That is in Monroe County...

saw some really nice big bucks over in the Hatfield/McCoy area also...

wish it wasn't so far to go back and hunt there every year...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by StudDuck

Yep.

Off work all week.
Originally Posted by Seafire
I know when I was back visiting family in August and September I saw some real monsters on my cousin's farm and also grazing in cemeteries in the early morning.....

That is in Monroe County...

saw some really nice big bucks over in the Hatfield/McCoy area also...

wish it wasn't so far to go back and hunt there every year...
Yeah i took off both weeks + muzzleloader season . There are some stud bucks down in the southern part of the state.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Hunting Jackson county the first 3 days and then near the house.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Depends. I'm seeing so many deer, including nice bucks, on the VA farm I'm hunting, that it'll depend on who shows up on the farm for the rifle opener and if I can fill my Earn-a-Buck doe tag before then. With one in the freezer, I'm definitely not getting a $20 WV extra buck tag. The big boy I saw Sunday evening on the farm really has my attention. I've never seen anything on the local WV WMA that comes close to that one. The VA rifle season opens Saturday and I've got three days of ML season before that.
Can't blame that , never leave a good spot for another one .
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
Hunting Jackson county the first 3 days and then near the house.
Good luck , looking at the forecast it may be a bit of snow in higher elevations for opening day. Should be a good week.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I'm going to hunt the fringes of that farm, staying out of my stand where I saw the big one until I bust that doe. I may let my son use the stand on the opener if I don't get it done by then. The VA rifle season runs until Jan 7, so I've got time, but he's a working stiff with limited time to hunt.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I'm going to hunt the fringes of that farm, staying out of my stand where I saw the big one until I bust that doe. I may let my son use the stand on the opener if I don't get it done by then. The VA rifle season runs until Jan 7, so I've got time, but he's a working stiff with limited time to hunt.
You must be east of the Blue Ridge , my part of Va is a 2 week season. Getting tough to find good spots in Va . One reason I like Wv.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Yep, two week season here in Montgomery as well. I live and hunt on the southern end of the county and less than 10 miles south Floyd gets 4 weeks. Sure wish we could get Montgomery a 4 week rifle season.

FJB & FJT
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I'll be in Yellow Spring WV the next two weeks. Hampshire county. We hunt as a club and put on large scale deer drives the first week. Second week we don't have nearly enough hunters to drive large tracts so we do smaller 3x3 drives on different ground. The black bear population on our clubs ground has gotten ridiculous. I have a feeling there will be a correction this year...
[Linked Image]

Last edited by woodson; 11/17/16.
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by woodson

I'll be in Yellow Spring WV the next two weeks. Hampshire county. We hunt as a club and put on large scale deer drives the first week. Second week we don't have nearly enough hunters to drive large tracts so we do smaller 3x3 drives on different ground. The black bear population on our clubs ground has gotten ridiculous. I have a feeling there will be a correction this year...
[Linked Image]
You have a bear problem. Need to do something about that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (1234, 007FJ, 12344mag, 1minute, 222Sako, 1Longbow, 60 invisible), 2,385 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,794
Posts18,496,211
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.