Print Thread
Hop To
S
SWJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Parker Hale Super Safari is a Mauser 98 based rifle. Action is a refurbished military action with the rear bridge hump removed. Still has the thumb cut out and stripper clip slot. My understanding is that these rifles came drilled and tapped from the factory.

I was trying to mount a Weaver 45 for the rear base. Correct base based on my research and Midway. The base and action holes didn't line up. Screws for the Weaver base fit just fine, no resistance. Left the screws in place and made some measurements.

The hole spacing center to center comes out 0.526 inches. The Weaver 45 spacing is listed at 0.504 inches from what I can find.

Tried Google but couldn't come up with much.

Any ideas on standard rear scope bases for a Mauser 98 with hole spacing of 0.526 inches?

Could this be a buggered drill and tap?

Thanks

Scott

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have an old set of weaver bases/rings from an FN Mauser I used to have #46/#45. I just checked and the rear base spacing is just as you say .504 c2c. I never had any problems with them like you are mentioning. Sorry can't help you more, but wanted to at least tell you were right on with your measurement.

Matt

R
RAN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I think your rifle was drilled wrong for whatever reason.
here are the Weaver base specs: http://www.brownells.com/GunTech/W-R-Weaver-Company-Mount-Base-Specifications/detail.htm?lid=11214

RAN

S
SWJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks swag and RAN.

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Is there enough length on the Weaver base for you to drill a new hole (or holes)at the proper spacing? Not out much $ if you bugger a base trying.

IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I agree that the rear bridge is drilled wrong. If you know a smith that has a selection of Weaver bases, you might be able to find one that matches up. Off hand, I can't think of one that has that hole spacing which is as tall as the #45. Leupold makes a one piece base for the Mauser that only uses one of the rear holes, if Parker Hale got one of those in the right place.

S
SWJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks for your thoughts utah708 and Kp321.

I bought this rifle as a project gun and have already sent it to a gunsmith once to get the safety replaced, trigger check and some stock work. When I picked it up it looked like it had sat in a barn for many years. The saftey did not function and there was straw in the action. The recoil pad had collapsed. But, it still had a great bluing and the wook looked pretty nice under the factory finish. Never thought to check the hole spacing for the ring bases.

Fortunately, it has open sights. I am going to shot it and see it groups. Could even mount a small red dot on the front base that fit just fine. I don't own a bore scope but the bore looks nice and shinny and patches don't grab when I cleaned it. I have hopes!

If it seems like it will be a shooter, then I will send it to a gunsmith to make a custom base and mount the scope. That way if there are any other suprises they can be taken care of then.

Scott

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
You need a set of Warne bases, #902 and #830. Parker Hale made their own bases and I don't remember anyone else until Warne came out. Could ship a set but your government wouldn't allow them entering the country from Canada!

Last edited by Barryt; 11/07/16.

A stranger is a friend we haven't met.
S
SWJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Barryt: Called Warne and talked to Corey the technician and the #830 rear hole spacing is 0.500 inches. Corey checked and all their products for Mauser 98's have the same rear hole spacing. Thanks for the lead, it was worth a call to Warne.

I will do some Google work and see if I come up with anything else with your info.

Mine must have been drilled and tapped on Monday morning or Friday afternoon!

Scott

S
SWJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
A quick update...

Repeated my Google searches for info and stumbled upon a link to Norman Clark Gunsmiths in England. They hired Bill Smallwood, a gunsmith with Parker Hale when the company closed down in the early 2000's. I exchanged a few emails with Bill and he was very helpful.

I got some bad news and some good news from Bill. The bad news is that he confirmed the factory specification for the rear hole spacing is 0.5 inches and that mine is drilled incorrectly. The good news is that after describing the receiver markings or better stated the lack of markings he was able to confirm my rifle was made on a CZ action.

Scott

Last edited by SWJ; 11/16/16.
IC B3

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
According to Brownell’s chart of Weaver bases, the Weaver No.82 base is the same height and has the same radius on the under-side as the Weaver No. 45 base, but is 6 inches long, not 0.812 inch. (a No. 87 base is almost the same, only 1 inch shorter and 0.004 inch higher) You could buy a No. 82 base, cut a piece the correct length from it, and drill and countersink it to match the spacing of the screw holes your receiver. If you do not have the gear to do it yourself, and you don’t have any pals who are so equipped, it would only be a small job for a gunsmith.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (10ring1, 204guy, 1beaver_shooter, 222ND, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 66 invisible), 2,675 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,476
Posts18,529,590
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.