Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
My wife had a question concerning the thickness of an air mattress under a sleeping bag. Is it better to have a thicker or thinner air mattress between you and the ground for insulating purposes? She seem to think that she read an article that says thinner is better. What is the consensus of the campfire?

Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want!
GB1

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
If you want warmer, then the mattress needs to be insulated and usually has internal baffling to reduce convective air movement. The warmest pads are not thin. But a thick uninsulated air mattress will freeze you out. It's not the thickness, it's whether the pad is constructed to be a good insulator. REI has R values listed for various pads.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Get a thermarest NeoAir. Great insulator, lightweight. Take care of it, they ain't cheap but worth it IMHO.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by snubbie
Get a thermarest NeoAir. Great insulator, lightweight. Take care of it, they ain't cheap but worth it IMHO.

This ^

Thick or thin doesn't matter. What does matter is that it should be insulated AND you should use a closed cell foam pad, about half length, to protect the mattress from punctures and so that when you lean on your elbow it doesn't go through the mattress to the hard ground below.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I like thicker, but I'm getting up in my years a little and don't sleep at well at I once did.

I recently bought a new pad and my choice came down to the NeoAir and a couple of the Big Anges pads. I read many reviews, looked at price, features, weight,...

One of the best things that I was able to do was to go into the local REI store (they have demo pads) and get a few of the pads out and lay on them. I thought I was going end up with the NeoAir but after laying on it I had second thoughts ... I found it to be noisy, to the point that I thought it might bother me. It wasn't too bad but noticeable.. especially if only other sounds are crickets.

I ended up with a Big Anges Q-Core SLX... happy with it so far.

"...buzzards gota eat same as worms" Josey Wales
NRA lifer
Hunting is Conservation
RMEF Member
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have two NeoAir pads and love them. The key for me is to blow them up very firm. They are more comfortable that way and they don't make any noise either.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by oklahunter
If you want warmer, then the mattress needs to be insulated and usually has internal baffling to reduce convective air movement. The warmest pads are not thin. But a thick uninsulated air mattress will freeze you out. It's not the thickness, it's whether the pad is constructed to be a good insulator. REI has R values listed for various pads.

Higher the R value the warmer it will be, simple as that. Foam or air, your choice. Air is going to be much more expensive. If you're looking at the NeoAir as others have suggested, make sure you're looking at the X-THERM model which has a nigher R value than the ultralights.

I have the exped downmat and its warm.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Here's a chart with many of the popular sleeping pads/mattresses. It shows thickness, weight, & R-value.
SLEEPING PADS

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Here's a chart with many of the popular sleeping pads/mattresses. It shows thickness, weight, & R-value.
SLEEPING PADS

Thanks!

Think I'm gonna try that Big Agnes Double Fill Double Z as I am a side sleeper and sleep very cold. It's a little bigger and heavier than my current pad but if it's warmer and more comfortable, I'll make that sacrifice!

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
What I am finding is also important to me is the pad's width. When inflated fully, I find I feel like I am rolling off the thing (Thermarest Xtherm and Neoair 4 season) and do not have enough width because I am a side sleeper. I actually partially deflate my pads so I stay on them (to maybe 3/4 firmness).

If I were to buy a new pad today, I would get WIDE even tough I'm only 160 lbs and 5'10".

IC B3

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
^Nice. That should treat you real nice. Nothing like a nice pad after a long day of hunting!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by alukban
What I am finding is also important to me is the pad's width. When inflated fully, I find I feel like I am rolling off the thing (Thermarest Xtherm and Neoair 4 season) and do not have enough width because I am a side sleeper. I actually partially deflate my pads so I stay on them (to maybe 3/4 firmness).

If I were to buy a new pad today, I would get WIDE even tough I'm only 160 lbs and 5'10".
Some of the inflatables have a larger air tube along the outside edges. That helps to keep you from rolling off. Many of the Big Agnus pads and other brands have that.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I like the width, but I am waiting for the day they make a pad for tall people. Most of the pads I have sleep on are to short. I have gone to having two 90" sleeping bags. One to sleep in and the other to lay on top of.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

81 members (007FJ, 35, 444Matt, 7mm_Loco, 6mmCreedmoor, 12 invisible), 1,482 guests, and 853 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,308
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.