C
What is your real world experience?

Illuminated and not illuminated.

GB1

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Have used it, and every other NF reticle extensively. To be blunt- I find it to be their worst reticle. The mildot and MIL- R crush it in every way.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I agree it's a crappy reticle. I like the moar in the 14 or 15 x or higher max power scopes. For 10x max like the compacts I like the mildot. They should do a plain duplez

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'd love something like a wind-plex. Give me a nice dark duplex-ish reticle and some hashes denoting 2 MOA on the horizontal stadia... I'm dialing for elevation anyway. I like the MOAR "ok" though as CC has been saying for a while now it's pretty thin on the 10x scopes for some odd reason. But I never use it for holdover. I suppose I could concoct a scenario where I would- though it wouldn't be Stick's "plus the windshield" crap- but I bought NF scopes to dial 'em.

Was shooting with a buddy a few weeks ago. We had 3 NF scopes in attendance, my 5.5-22 NXS, my 3-10 SHV, and his 2.5-10 Compact. All had the MOAR. The reticle in the SHV and Compact was identical. The MOAR in the 5.5-22 had MUCH darker, thicker lines. He was actually kinda bummed about it, couldn't understand why they did that to the 10x scopes.... but at least his Compact has illumination.

Bob has the IHR in an SHV. Maybe he'll opine.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
C
CBB15 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I don't understand why they won't produce a German #8ish reticle. The reticle is my only real problem with the NXS and SHV lines. They could tone down the tacticool look in the SHV too.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
They should do a plain duplex

Agreed.

I have the IHR in an SHV. It's OK when light is good but it fades quickly when the lights get dim. I see no advantage to it over a plain duplex.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BobinNH

I have the IHR in an SHV. It's OK when light is good but it fades quickly when the lights get dim.

I have the MOAR, & it's not really great in low light (relative word) either.

I don't have illumination........if I did, it would be great.

MM

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
the reason the MOAR looks so much better in the high powered models is because its a second focal plane and the sub tensions are correct at max power. so if your comparing the MOAR in a 3.5-15 model to a 2.5-10 or 3-10 model, the reticle in the 3.5-15 mode is 50% larger because the subtentions match up at 15x on one scope and 10x on the others. 1moa markings are ALOT easier to see on your target at 15x, vs 10x.

I don't think there is really any sort of way to make a reticle with that fine of graduations work on a 10x max power scope.

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I have MOAR T illuminated and the illumination has been on once. Doubt I'll ever have it on again.

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have extensive experience with the IHR (please note sarcasm font) I have used it for one hunting season with four animals shot. Probably about 250 rounds down range prior to the hunting season.

I found it a little weird at first but after a little time it worked really well I would have not problem buying another. I have no experience with mildots of any sort. I have used several scopes with Christmas tree reticles.

IC B3

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I have a 2.5-10x42 with the "IHR" reticle but I have not hunted with it or shot long range. I have used it at 100 yd for load development in my .260 Rem.

For those who know such things (Formidilosus), with the "IHR" having reference points at 3 MOA and 6 MOA is that not useful in windage holds at hunting ranges. Many recommend the Mil Dot but that is a courser graduation than the IHR, 3" vs 3.6".

I hope to use mine this coming week, unfortunately it will not be at long range. I will get to see what the reticle looks like in the woods.

I will be purchasing one, maybe two, new NF NXS's before the end of the year and I need to make a decision on reticle for them. I am leaning to the MOAR at this point but I am open to recommendations from those with more experience with these reticles than I.

Last edited by VaHunter; 11/20/16.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GRF
I have extensive experience with the IHR (please note sarcasm font) I have used it for one hunting season with four animals shot. Probably about 250 rounds down range prior to the hunting season.

I found it a little weird at first but after a little time it worked really well I would have not problem buying another. I have no experience with mildots of any sort. I have used several scopes with Christmas tree reticles.

My extensive use of the IHR (NXS) is much the same as yours. grin
Just so happens my load works perfectly with the bottom of the + at 300 and tip of the bottom post at bottom is 400. If I need more than that, I can find use for the dial.

I also have a version with Mildot and if forced to choose, I'd likely side with that over the IHR but for my use, the IHR doesn't suck.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I shoot my IHR out to 500-600 yards doing the clickety click thing and it works good.

I never thought of using the little tips for 300 and 400.....duhhh. crazy

I will try that.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by VaHunter

For those who know such things (Formidilosus), with the "IHR" having reference points at 3 MOA and 6 MOA is that not useful in windage holds at hunting ranges. Many recommend the Mil Dot but that is a courser graduation than the IHR, 3" vs 3.6".

Don't get me wrong- the IHR can be used quite well It's just that compared to other options it's painting you in a corner. The reticle isn't just used for holding off. One of the greatest advantage to a matching reticle/turret system is the ability to use the reticle as a tape measure and adjust for impacts on the fly.

Don't think in "courser" graduations. Think sequential. The IHR is a reticle that has marks (though visually different) at 3 and 6 moa and adjusts in .25moa increments. Yes, you can crudely try to guess in between those increments or extrapolate an adjustment based on this increments, but it's not intuitive.

A mil reticle is based on tens. You visually break down each mil into tenths. Pared with .1 mil scope adjustments, what you see is what you get. Visually and mentally "tenths" make sense to humans. For instance- you see the shot go low left, and your brain registers that you need to go up .7 and right 1.3 mils.

From teaching hundreds of people to shoot, quite a few of them diehard MOA users, NO ONE goes back to anything but mil/mil.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Form,

Thanks for the response and I understand the tenth thing with mils. I have just never thought of shooting at game and calling my shots and making adjustments.

As I said I have not done a lot of this type of shooting but want to. I have a S&B with a P3 reticle with mil adjustments. I need to go out and shoot it at some distant targets and educate myself further, and see if I can call my shots with a sporter weight rifle.

I plan on purchasing additional Nightforce scopes mainly for their durability and dependability (replacing two Leupolds on highly accurate rifles), the precise turrets for adjusting impact are an additional benefit.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have two NXS Compacts with the IHR Reticle, a 2.5-10x32 and a 2.5-10x42. Both scopes are on their third hunting season. I have used the scopes to harvest approximately 20 animals. Mostly deer.

I am going against the grain here. But, I am a big fan of the IHR Reticle for hunting and causal steel gong shooting. I like the simplicity of the reticle. I use a 200 yard zero (which covers the majority of my hunting shots) and dial for long range. The reticle is finer than your "standard" duplex hunting scope reticle, but it allows for more precise aiming. If pushing the limits of legal shooting light is a concern, the illuminated reticle feature is a must.

Just my two cents

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have two NXS 2.5-10x42's with the IHR reticles. I have used them now for two deer seasons. I agree with scallop. I like mine and appreciate the simplicity, too. You definitely need the illumination when the light gets low.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have a 4-15x56 SHV, I like mine!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

233 members (24HourCampFireGuy50, 280shooter, 30incher, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 34 invisible), 2,125 guests, and 1,029 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,324
Posts18,505,854
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.