Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
We won't all be quitting on Tues....

Saw 10 today. Hot....60degress hot. Bounced all but two out of their bed. Not much moving till dark and saw 5 more on the two track on the way out.

Fog coming up the hills.

[Linked Image]

These are like dandelions in the spring. Along with acorns which are everywhere.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

laissez les bons temps rouler
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I worked this morning and hunted the afternoon, saw 6, 5 were doe, light had expired when the 6th one came out. Busted a bunch out walking back to the truck.

Going to do our annual ritual of driving some small swamps with a buddy tomorrow morning. Bear is back in for our area as well. We'll see.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I was fortunate to kill a buck Monday. Tioga County (3A) 8pt with the NULA .243 at about 225-240 yards. Oh yea, Barnes 80gr TTSX bullet.

I hadn't killed a buck there since 2012......

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Lawdwaz; 11/29/16.
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Best of luck.. This is almost like being there!!!

Molon Labe
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
damn your ugly larry.

nice buck

FJB
IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by rockchucker
damn your ugly larry.

nice buck

How'd you spot this so quick?????? smile

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
was just here

FJB
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I was able to connect with this PA mountain buck Monday morning -- a healthy looking 8 pt, 120 lbs. I was hunting in Potter Country (3A). I was stationed in a bowl at the top of the mountain that turns into a steep ravine leading to a creek at the bottom of the mountain. Unbeknownst to me, a guy and his daughter were hunting up on the flat of the mountain several hundred yards away. Around 9 am, I heard a bunch of rustling in the frozen leafs on the flat followed by a rifle shot. About 30 sec later, 3 bucks and a doe came barreling down into the bowl. About 100 yds out, one buck split off and headed my way while the other three headed off to my right were my brother was in his treestand a couple hundred yards away. The buck that came my direction came to a dead stop behind a thick stand of trees where I couldn't see him but I knew he was there. Not sure if he got a whiff of me or what. After about a minute of waiting with my gun at the ready, he took off at a full sprint in the direction the others had gone. I was able to get on him and get off one shot before he got behind me. Luckily I double lunged him with the one shot and he ran about 50 yds before piling up. My brother was able to get a shot at one of the other bucks but didn't connect. It was the first buck I've taken in the last couple years and I'm hopeful that the deer herd is recovering after a couple bleak years. The deer had lots of acorns in his stomach. I shot him with a 6.5 Creedmore/120 GMX Superperformance ammo. The damage to the lungs was massive.

[Linked Image]

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by CBB
Took my best buck ever this morning. Nice 8 in the upper 130s.
Will have pics and story later

Love to see pics and hear the story. A high 130 class, 8pt PA whitetail is a real trophy....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
an 8pt in the upper 130's anywhere is a real trophy!

Camp is where you make it.
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Hunted the rain and saw 19 today, no good (legal) bucks. Called it quits around 2:30, soaked from combing the hills doing mini-pushes, back at it in the morning, but I'll be sitting.

Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Been in NW PA since last Wednesday and been scouting or hunting since Friday. We have a new to us 1000 acre lease. I love figuring out new property but it sure is humbling. Saw 12 Monday, 6 yesterday, 7 today. Have seen 3 bucks but nothing to write home about. My brother did kill a small 8 pt first morning. Found a dead 8 pt this PM that looks to have been an archer kill not found. It was picked clean, even the face.

Hearing way too much shooting in the late PM. I also found a doe hide at our entrance road. I'm pretty sure the locals are shooting does late PM. Or all the bucks are sure!y dead by now. 3 of the better bucks we have on trail cams are dead. The biggest really pisses me off. Amish on the back road shot it because it was 'endangering his children'. Just happen to be a main frame 12 pt scoring in the 140s or so. The big 10 with crooked brow times was killed on the 'family farm' abutting our lease.

The locals might win this battle. I'm not going to feed the deer to have the locals sneak on and shoot them during archery season.

I'm looking at public and mountain hunting. I hunted bears around Renovo for a few years and saw some honker bucks. Not many deer but some big bucks.

Last edited by bwinters; 11/30/16.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
So far another year of Does. Saw 11 today.

Two were down in this hole at around 120.

[Linked Image]

Fog the other day in the AM. Tonight came out in it.

[Linked Image]

Cousin took a small 8 on his farm this evening.

Addition: The one he shot was with another Buck and they were pushing each other. He blew on his grunt tube and the one he shot came running. Shot it at around 30 yards.

Last edited by battue; 11/30/16.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Another nice Mountain Buck. Congrats.

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Lawdwaz
I was fortunate to kill a buck Monday. Tioga County (3A) 8pt with the NULA .243 at about 225-240 yards. Oh yea, Barnes 80gr TTSX bullet.

I hadn't killed a buck there since 2012......

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Nice buck Lawdwaz, Congrats!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Just noticed yours Lawdwaz. The Nula strikes again. Nice.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by battue
So far another year of Does. Saw 11 today.

You must be hunting the same spot as me Battue, Ive seen over 30 in 3 days of hunting, no buck sightings of mention yet...

Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
You have me beat by a few. Did see a couple little not legal Bucks on Monday. Along with the nice one my Cousin and I argued about who should shoot. I told him beforehand, any nice Buck was his first. His place and he built a nice shanty to hunt out of.

Finally, he agreed to shoot and as he was getting set up, the farmer who has the next farm walked out and the Buck took off.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
bwinters, my pal has a small farm in Pa. These religious sects are a reap PIA...

Molon Labe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the comments on Lyme. Congrats to all who got, some nice ones! I left early, just got home, wasnt feelin too great. I was pushin myself and shouldnt have, but hey, this only comes once a year I had to. Unfortunately, I dont have the stamina anymore to go where I needed to. Nonetheless, I saw doe every day so im happy. Wish I coulda lasted til saturday though.

Saw this guy sunday, that was cool (cellphone pic, sorry)
[Linked Image]

Battue, the fog rolled in on us this afternoon too..

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by bwinters

I'm looking at public and mountain hunting. I hunted bears around Renovo for a few years and saw some honker bucks. Not many deer but some big bucks.

bwinters...HUSH! grin Not many is right, and hopefully ill get better so I can chase the few that are left.I got some decent ones through the years for the area...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

theres more out there, one of these days ill be able to climb these hills again. Good luck to ya if ya ever make it back to the area!

[Linked Image]

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (1badf350, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 65 invisible), 2,529 guests, and 1,362 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,456
Posts18,471,117
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.