Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Like Calvin said, why not start out light?

I'd rather have an 8.5lb all up rig compared to a 10lber....

And if you want an uber light one, skip the scope all together and have at it.

Use whatever works for you.

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Why bother getting a lightweight rifle then? It's pretty funny hearing a moron tell us that a heavy weight scope should be used on a rifle that is primarily chosen for its handling characteristics.

It is still a lightweight rifle. It still handles great. It has a scope that returns to zero, tracks and repeats reliably 100% of the time allowing me to do exactly what the OP expressed interest in - reliably hit targets out to 600yds.

One of us is a moron talking out of his ass - the other has actually tried a 19oz scope on a lightweight rifle and found it works rather nicely.

David

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Jeez,does everything have to turn into a pissing contest?

Does it matter if one guy wants a light weight scope on his light weight rifle but another prefers to choose something heavier that he has more confidence in? I don't think either one is necessarily wrong. Personally I'm glad we aren't all the same.

Anyway,sorry I got anything started.My thanks to everyone for their input.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Originally Posted by Aviator
Originally Posted by Aviator
I am starting to really like my Vortex Razor HD LH with the G4 reticle....I have one on a NULA and it is becoming my favorite scope !

I put the 1.5-8X32 on my Montana this year. I've been considering the 3-15 but haven't looked at one yet. Which one do you have?

2X10-40

What caliber is that NULA? Do you know weight with scope? What mounts?

Scope weighs 15.4 ounces...it is on a 300 WM in talley lightweights..

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
You can tell who shoots and who reads and needs to match. If money is no object I'd get a nxs compact. It is for me so I'll have more swfa's coming. 3-9's and 6's

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Kaleb
You can tell who shoots and who reads and needs to match. If money is no object I'd get a nxs compact. It is for me so I'll have more swfa's coming. 3-9's and 6's

Yeah you sure can

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't put a scope with a windage turret on it. The shells will hit the turret and bounce back into the action.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M8/M1 6x42. Said and done a few times.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I get those that want a pure light weight rig. However for me the beauty of a lightweight rifle is I can have a little heavier scope and still end up in a somewhat light weight package. Ive found for me a rig that comes in around 7 1/2 pounds all up is just right. Different strokes and all that.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
SS 3-9x42

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If they'd cap the windage and cut the elevation turret in half I'd take it. Just my SWFA pet peeves though.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by 16bore
If they'd cap the windage and cut the elevation turret in half I'd take it. Just my SWFA pet peeves though.

I'm pretty happy w/ the turretts on the 3-9x42 - they're a good bit smaller than the turretts on the Fixed 6, 10, 3-15x42 etc. They're also significantly firmer.

David

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

That's my old standby. If only hunting to 500 and you dial to around 5, they are pretty rock solid in my experience. I have a pretty good stash of of them wearing M1s.

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Calvin

That's my old standby. If only hunting to 500 and you dial to around 5, they are pretty rock solid in my experience. I have a pretty good stash of of them wearing M1s.

Maybe my eyes aren't that good but I just prefer greater than 6X magnification. No doubt it is fine for animal kill zones or ringing 16" square steel at long range but half the fun for me to owning an accurate rifle is shooting tiny groups. I've always been able to shoot tiny groups better with more than 6X magnification.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Need some suggestions guys. I want this to be a long range (to me) rifle,which would be about 500 yards max. I've only killed one deer at 400 yards in my life,the only one I ever shot at also. What I'm saying is that most shots will be closer but I want that longer range capability.

I want to keep it light and I'm hoping under 17 ounces. I prefer something with 10X-12X on the top end. I know even 6X will shoot that far but I like more magnification mostly because I like to target shoot nearly as much as I like to hunt.

My budget will be in the 1K range give or take a couple hundred. I've considered a Z5 3.5-18X44 but I would actually prefer a thicker reticle or illumination for versatility in the thick woods at dark. A reticle with thick outer portions that extends nearly to the center but has a fine inner portion would be perfect.Why the scope industry doesn't produce one I can't understand.

A scope I really like is a Steiner GS3 2-10X42. I just love the eye box characteristics of that scope. I'm not crazy about the S1 reticle, but I think I could live with it. I wish it was 15 ounces rather than 18. Please tell me I'm being anal retentive about a measly 3 ounces.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions outside the standard VX3 offerings which I've highly considered.

RH,

I suspect you're not going to find the perfect fit for what you're wanting.
There are some nice scopes with turrets to be had but you're not going to be happy with the reticle choices given that you also want a low-light option for "in close".

While I have no experience with it, for your budget, you might consider the Burris XTR II w/illuminated mid-dot. It's got the dial you seek, with a rather fine, user friendly mil-dot and also has illumination.

Personally, I'd cut to the chase, save a few more nickels and start hunting for a used Nightforce NXS in 2.5x10 (in either 32 or 42mm with illumination).
You will waste more cheddar trying to find the right fit and selling the wrong fits at a loss.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Does it matter if one guy wants a light weight scope on his light weight rifle but another prefers to choose something heavier that he has more confidence in?

None whatsoever.
Do whatever makes you happy and works for how you need it to work.

WWP53D
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by SKane
Need some suggestions guys. I want this to be a long range (to me) rifle,which would be about 500 yards max. I've only killed one deer at 400 yards in my life,the only one I ever shot at also. What I'm saying is that most shots will be closer but I want that longer range capability.

I want to keep it light and I'm hoping under 17 ounces. I prefer something with 10X-12X on the top end. I know even 6X will shoot that far but I like more magnification mostly because I like to target shoot nearly as much as I like to hunt.

My budget will be in the 1K range give or take a couple hundred. I've considered a Z5 3.5-18X44 but I would actually prefer a thicker reticle or illumination for versatility in the thick woods at dark. A reticle with thick outer portions that extends nearly to the center but has a fine inner portion would be perfect.Why the scope industry doesn't produce one I can't understand.

A scope I really like is a Steiner GS3 2-10X42. I just love the eye box characteristics of that scope. I'm not crazy about the S1 reticle, but I think I could live with it. I wish it was 15 ounces rather than 18. Please tell me I'm being anal retentive about a measly 3 ounces.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions outside the standard VX3 offerings which I've highly considered.

RH,

I suspect you're not going to find the perfect fit for what you're wanting.
There are some nice scopes with turrets to be had but you're not going to be happy with the reticle choices given that you also want a low-light option for "in close".

While I have no experience with it, for your budget, you might consider the Burris XTR II w/illuminated mid-dot. It's got the dial you seek, with a rather fine, user friendly mil-dot and also has illumination.

Personally, I'd cut to the chase, save a few more nickels and start hunting for a used Nightforce NXS in 2.5x10 (in either 32 or 42mm with illumination).
You will waste more cheddar trying to find the right fit and selling the wrong fits at a loss.

Been thinking in that direction myself. The 2.5-10X42 NXS should check all the boxes except light weight. One concern is if it will have enough eye relief to position correctly for me in the long action with Talley Lightweights. I've had issues with 3.5" eye relief scopes not being close enough for me on my 270 Sako Finnlight.

I guess the main thing right now is to get the gun in hand and slap something on it I have laying around just to see how it shoots. You know how it is though with a new gun. Half the fun is deciding on accessories. That sounded a little too much like my daughter.LOL

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Does it matter if one guy wants a light weight scope on his light weight rifle but another prefers to choose something heavier that he has more confidence in? I don't think either one is necessarily wrong. Personally I'm glad we aren't all the same.

Well stated Mr. Clark. Options are nice. A guy may want to buy a 6 pound gun so that buying his preferred, heavier scope, will not make the package as heavy as his 8 pound gun and the same scope. A particular hunter/shooter may choose a lightweight gun so that when mounted with his preferred optic the overall package is not so heavy; yet, somehow he is ostracized for his personal preference and decision.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd plan on using a rail.

I had this one on my 280 for a spell but I got lucky in the eye relief dept with the mounts/rings shown.

[Linked Image]

WWP53D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Calvin

Maybe my eyes aren't that good but I just prefer greater than 6X magnification. No doubt it is fine for animal kill zones or ringing 16" square steel at long range but half the fun for me to owning an accurate rifle is shooting tiny groups. I've always been able to shoot tiny groups better with more than 6X magnification.

I've been pretty lucky that 1/2 MOA at 100 stays 1/2 MOA at 500, which is as far as I have to shoot and twice as far as I need. The center of the center is still the center. I can't get past the eye box and brightness of the M8's.

Thought about selling the one I have on my 7RM with it as a package deal, but had to lay down until that thought went away.

Close one....

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

538 members (160user, 1Longbow, 222Sako, 10ring1, 222ND, 257 mag, 70 invisible), 2,298 guests, and 1,162 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,574
Posts18,531,982
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.