Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i have an old h&r 410 that my dad bought at a flea market for about 20 bucks. he had no use for it cause it was a painted up mess with a loose stock so one winter i borrowed it and acraglassed the cracks, refinished the stock and put a nice little pad on it. in the spring i handed it back to him and he said "damn, i didn't know there was a nice gun under all that crap". i still have it and shoot trap with it once in a while. my kids are amazed that i can break 7/10 real regularly with it. but 410 shells are so expensive that it doesn't get much use anymore. waiting to gift it to some kid who wants to learn to hunt.

My diploma is a DD214

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I've always used Rem/Chester Foster-type slugs. I'll have to try the Brenneke if I can find some, just to see how well they shoot.

I'm always surprised by how hard the .410 slugs hit our range's particleboard target holding surface. They make the same sound at 50 yards as slugs from my granddad's Colt .44-40!

I reload .444 Marlin brass (range pickups--why would anyone throw these away????) for my .410, using the most retro technique and components. They kill cottontails and pests just fine. When I take it out for quail, I use 3" factory 7 1/2s, tho. For wingshooting a .410 needs all the help it can get!

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 458Win
A lot of folks used to consider a 410 as a kid's gun but in fact they are more of an expert's show off gun. They are difficult to hit with. I worked for a museum in Northern Arizona and we collected bats down in the bottom of the Grand Canyon using a single shot H&R Handigun. Trying to hit a flying bat with a pistol in low light was humbling.

ltppowell is the 410 whisperer.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by EdM
I want to buy one or something cheaper so I can hand it to Lt. Powell and see if can drop doves with it from the hip. I mean, it must be his high grade gun doing it.
he can he has a couple nice 410s he shoots.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Vermin control around the farm: daughter uses a 410 while I keep a 22 pump gun available. I've always been a 20 gauge fan, but my first pheasant was taken with a 410.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The savage model 24, .22/.410 is the gun all kids in my family learn to hunt with. It is now legal for deer slugs, and has taken many deer. (Several by me). It is a family favorite, and much in demand. Savage stopped making it for about 10 years or more, but has now reintroduced it as the model 42 (with synthetic stocks). It is on my buy list.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by 458Win
A lot of folks used to consider a 410 as a kid's gun but in fact they are more of an expert's show off gun. They are difficult to hit with. I worked for a museum in Northern Arizona and we collected bats down in the bottom of the Grand Canyon using a single shot H&R Handigun. Trying to hit a flying bat with a pistol in low light was humbling.

then you probably would know steve crothers, who use to run that place.
I was stuck up on mt humphries, one night, rather about three vehicles were stuck. Steve happened by about 2 in the morning, his comment being prescott boys out having fun.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have a little H&R .410 Tamer that I kept in my jon boat or pirogue for fishing or waterfowl hunting. Loaded with .410 3" steel #6 shot. Worked well for snakes and as a cripple gun that wouldn't knock me out of the pirogue.

Semper Fi

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was doing it with Steve - He and I once did a motorized, single boat, December winter trip through the Grand in 4 days.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by kellory
The savage model 24, .22/.410 is the gun all kids in my family learn to hunt with. It is now legal for deer slugs, and has taken many deer. (Several by me). It is a family favorite, and much in demand. Savage stopped making it for about 10 years or more, but has now reintroduced it as the model 42 (with synthetic stocks). It is on my buy list.

well for thanksgiving i have a grandson with me and his intended.
Intended has a 13 year old daughter, ten year old son. I think we are headed out to cabella's. I looked up that savage 42. Just about perfect for them. Anybody buy and use one?
I did have both of them hold a 1900's vintage .410 and they didn't have any problem.
Have to think the 42 would be about perfect to burn up cabella's points and get them into bunny busting.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Winchester 37 bought in the fifties for me, still in the family with my daughter for nuisance critters.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by blanket
Anybody but me like dragging out an old break open 410 single shot for a walk in the woods? Have an old Iver Johnson that belonged to a long dead friend that will be going with me in the morning, maybe a pheasant or quail but at least some cottontails. Get the urge to drag one around about Thanksgiving for about the last 50 years Russ

I have 2 very old IJ firearms. A break open 410 single shot. And a top break 38S&W 5 shot. Still use the 410 from time to time.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

508 members (12344mag, 219 Wasp, 007FJ, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 44 invisible), 2,156 guests, and 1,126 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,336
Posts18,506,137
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.