-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I posted this question in the other M70 thread but it was late in the post so hasn't received much traffic. Did the US replace the Classic? They look identical as the last round of Classics and have the new trigger. Does anyone have an US and care to comment on the quality and accuracy of these guns? I hate the stock but a McM will fix that.

Thanks.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
HR IC

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The ultimate shadows were intended to be a lower cost synthetic stock version in the model 70 line. They came in both blued and stainless steel. They are still classics since they have the Mauser style extractor.

If you go to the Winchester website and look in the discontinued model section you will see them.

Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie" until you can find a rock.
Will Rogers
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks. I called Winchester and the kid I talked to didnt seem to know much about the US or the Classic which why I asked here. From the lack of responses here apparently not many guys here have them.

I'd like to drop one in a McM Edge. I'm leery because I've hod both good and bad M70. Seems the earlier Classics shoot well, some of the later not so much. I had an early SS Classic and sold it for some stupid reason. Wish I had that one back......

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Bill, if it has the "new" trigger, which i'm assuming you mean MOA, it is not a classic. It is a Baco and manufactured after 2008.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bwinters
I posted this question in the other M70 thread but it was late in the post so hasn't received much traffic. Did the US replace the Classic? They look identical as the last round of Classics and have the new trigger. Does anyone have an US and care to comment on the quality and accuracy of these guns? I hate the stock but a McM will fix that.

Thanks.

What's the sn if it starts with G it's a new haven model 70 if it starts with a 35 and 3 letters after the 35 it's a baco made model 70, the baco model 70's before 2013 were made in South Carolina

Last edited by 79S; 11/24/16.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
They stopped making the Classics in 2006 when they closed the New Haven plant. At that time Winchester sold their higher end CRF rifles as Classics. They still made push feed rifles marketed as budget rifles.

The new rifles made since 2008 when FN took over are all CRF. The US is just their budget rifle. As near as I can tell it just has a cheaper tubberware stock vs the other rifles. The new FN made rifles have a different trigger, but other than that it would be basically the same as the older Classic.

Classics can be spotty. I've had 3, still own 2 as well as one of the new rifles. All 3 of my Classics have been acceptable. They were made in 1995, 1999 and 2006. To be honest the 2006 rifle isn't as smooth and nice as the older versions, but it shoots fine. There are many, including myself, that would have preferred they kept the old style trigger. But mine is working fine.

I think for the most part the new rifles are at least as good as the early Classics. I'd not be afraid to buy one.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

226 members (12344mag, afisher, 6mmbrfan, 257 roberts, 21, 2500HD, 22 invisible), 1,893 guests, and 1,057 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,086
Posts18,501,709
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.