Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
I just pickup this shotgun, it is a grade 1 sporter with 29.5 inch brls. Locks up tight, looks great. I was told it was made in 2001.
Is there anything about this mdl.O/U I should know, good or bad. This is my first O/U shotgun.
Thanks for any help
Erich

At some point my hobbies became my life.
GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Beretta suggests you lube the sides of the breech block of the barrels before installing on the frame to reduce friction and or galling. Every Beretta owner at my trap and skket club lubes their Beretta's, Caesar Guerrini's etc.

Doc

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I put a drop of oil on the electors where they slide in the breech block, and grease on the trunions (hinge pins), and the front of the receiver where the forearm metal touches.

There are a couple of good YouTube videos on Beretta 680 series maintenance

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
And lube the choke tubes!

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by ErichTheRed
I just pickup this shotgun, it is a grade 1 sporter with 29.5 inch brls. Locks up tight, looks great. I was told it was made in 2001.
Is there anything about this mdl.O/U I should know, good or bad. This is my first O/U shotgun.
Thanks for any help
Erich

I had a 20 gauge version made in 2010 . Beretta O/U's have one of the most simple and strong actions designed. I thought the wood finish on my gun had a fragile finish on it but other then that no flies.

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
It will probably outlast you. Great gun for the money IMHO.

E
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
E
I agree with Dogslife57. The Beretta o/u 686 series is an excellent shotgun. With minimal upkeep (lubrication and cleaning) you should be very well gunned basically forever. You have picked very well. There may be more expensive guns out there, but probably none that are more reliable. The only suggestion I would make, is that you should make sure the gun fits you well. Having a competent gunsmith modify the stock if necessary, should not be a big deal, and is certainly worth doing.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Just bought 2 ea Silver Pigeon 111s. Haven't shot them yet. Hope they are good.

E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Thank you all, for the help and great information.
It did not come with a case, any recommendations. I would like something a little more travel friendly than the factory Beretta case.
Thanks again Erich

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MoranoGrande
And lube the choke tubes!

Yes....with anti seize...not grease or oil....

I had a 28ga Silver Pigeon with 28" barrels....sweet gun but I didn't shoot it enough to justify keeping it...

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have 3 silver pigs. I use pro gold lube from Pro Shot. My 12 & 20 gauges have more than 100k rounds through them combined. About every5 flats of shells or, after a dusty, dirty day in the dove field, I'll de-grease that shotgun and clean down to the metal,. Getting rid of plastic build up is tougher than anything else. Chrome-lined bores help there.
Re-apply the lube after cleaning. Wipe down with a lightly sprayed clean, oily rag and put it up until the next time.

Support your local Friends of NRA - supporting Youth Shooting Sports for more than 20 years.

Neither guns nor Liberals have a brain.

Whatever you do, Pay it Forward. - Kids are the future of the hunting and shooting world.
E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Bbear thats a lot a shells down range.
Erich

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Erich,

I shot a 686 Onyx for many years with zero problems, which I can't say about most other single-trigger O/U's I've owned. Did maintain it pretty well, though it didn't take much to keep it running.

Bbear, if you treat the inside of those choke tubes by Dyna-Tek Bore Coat the plastic fouling comes out a LOT quicker and easier.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
The only thing I don't like about the 686 Onyx is that the safety goes on automatically when you close the breech. Since the other shotguns I've owned don't do this, I keep forgetting about it. It's frustrating to pull the trigger at skeet and nothing happens.

What I do like is the 28 gauge on the baby frame. Most other 28 gauges use a larger (20 gauge) frame. 28 gauge is adequate for pheasants with Winchester's 1 ounce loads of #6.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Indy, why don't you have the auto safety changed to a manual safety?

Talk is cheap. It takes money to buy whiskey.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Indy,
That's a very simple fix.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I had always been a Browning Superposed guy. I still shoot a Pigeon Grade twenty. A good many years ago, I took my twelve to my dealer to have him send it to Briley for chokes. He told me that for the cost of chokes, I could trade for a new SP IV (687) Beretta and not owe him much money. After looking the SP over and realizing that it was way lighter than the Browning and wearing high grade wood, we did the deal.

SIL has a fleet of 686 SPs. I have removed the automatic safety from all three of his and mine. I suppose that has it's place on skeet and trap fields, but we are hunters first.

Best,

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
I do not intend to shoot trap, skeet or or anything with a clay bird. Just for hunting rabbits, grouse, (can't spell) ptarmigan. I have other guns for waterfowl.
Did some horse trade'n plus it was a great deal. So I took it home.
Erich

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Originally Posted by MOGC
Indy,
That's a very simple fix.

Yeah I know. I just haven't gotten "a round tuit" yet.

Almost everybody does that. I don't understand why they make them with automatic safeties in the first place. Must be a lawyer thing, but Browning et al don't see the need to do that.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Only field grade Beretta O/U's have the automatic safety. Target models have a manual safety. Safeties are not needed for skeet or trap, because you don't load the gun until you are ready to shoot.

Talk is cheap. It takes money to buy whiskey.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

421 members (204guy, 117LBS, 1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 48 invisible), 2,628 guests, and 1,124 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,972
Posts18,499,393
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.