-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The 300 WSM is a great caliber. I used one for about 10 years and shot quite a few elk and deer with it. It's very accurate. However, I added it up and found that there wasn't a single one of those animals that I couldn't have shot just as well with a 30-06. I bought an RAR that weighs a lb less than my 300 WSM. It's much more pleasant to the shoulder and legs.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
There will still be demand for magnums as 30 cal bullets get longer and heavier as guys stretch shots out.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by BobinNH
300 WSM? Yawn...... tired

smile

It's all right. Cant get excited over it.

Yeah, that's me. With my Weatherbys and Winchesters in .30, I just have never felt the urge to spend money on one. Now if I win one at some banquet or drawing, I might play with it some.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by ol_mike
I think all magnums are fading out , most people at the range shoot standard cartridges -around here anyway .
The "I need a magnum" guys have their rifle and 11 "shells" left over from the past two hunting seasons.
Lots of rifle looney's here that love a variety of rifles/cartridges but looney's are few and far between overal .

I got a set of dies for 300wsm in a trade --that has been pushing me to get one since I have a set of dies = MOST PEOPLE don't think like that . grin .

I thought magnums were fading too until Nosler starting introducing their line of super magnums. Now Weatherby released a 6.5.

Scott
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's doing better than the WSSMs!

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No the 300WSM won't pass the 30-06 in popularity, can't see it fading away either.

There are a plethora or rounds that can almost be duplicated by several next in line. We don't need to all hunt with or shoot the same chambering, do we?

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
My pair of 300WSM's are going anywhere. I feel that it's a great compromise of ballistics, recoil, accuracy, and portability.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I aint getting rid of my Sako Tecomate 300 WSM!

Molan Labe
R
rjf Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks for the answers. I have considered a win mag instead but, still thinking of a wsm.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by southtexas
It's doing better than the WSSMs!

Reminds me of the old Malt-O-Meal commercial form the late 1950's or early 1960's:
"Tastes twice as good as that other tasteless stuff."

Never had a use for either the WSM or WSSM cartridges. The rifles were more expensive than other options, the ammo and brass were more expensive and the benefits more imagined than practical in actual use to my way of thinking.

Bought a Ruger .300WM in late 2003, two years after the .300WSM was introduced. The Ruger was $375 on closeout at Sportsman's Warehouse because it had the hated Zytel "boat paddle" stock. After 13 years of use, I can't see where a WSM would have provided any advantage.

Not knocking the .300WSM and realize a lot of folks are happy with theirs. Just wasn't right for me.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by rjf
Thanks for the answers. I have considered a win mag instead but, still thinking of a wsm.

If you are thinking of the 300WSM, you might as well drink the Kool-Aid. I actually prefer the short mag over the wm, but not because it's short and fat or because it has no belt, but because you get a more efficient cartridge that treads on the heels of the wm, while burning up less powder. Like others have said, it doesn't kick as much, but you get damned near the same ballistics. However, There are some idiosyncrasies associated with the short mag. These are mostly caused by the shoulder angle and lack of body taper. These issues cause hard bolt lift on some rifles (look up bolt thrust problems), feeding and chambering issues, and handloading problems. Some of these issues can be remedied, but are indeed issues a new owner needs to be aware of...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
R
rjf Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by rjf

If you are thinking of the 300WSM, you might as well drink the Kool-Aid. I actually prefer the short mag over the wm, but not because it's short and fat or because it has no belt, but because you get a more efficient cartridge that treads on the heels of the wm, while burning up less powder. Like others have said, it doesn't kick as much, but you get damned near the same ballistics. However, There are some idiosyncrasies associated with the short mag. These are mostly caused by the shoulder angle and lack of body taper. These issues cause hard bolt lift on some rifles (look up bolt thrust problems), feeding and chambering issues, and handloading problems. Some of these issues can be remedied, but are indeed issues a new owner needs to be aware of...

I will look this up. Thanks for the info.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
rjf

Don't be mis led ! The WSM means something. It does NOT equal the WM.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have all sorts of 300 mags but really do like the WSM. A heavy barreled monster for long range, a Tecomate for stand and general purpose, and a Model 70 FWT worked over by HCR that is a great carry gun for mountain hunts and such.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Where I deer hunt, probably 90% of hunting can be done with a .30/30, thus, the WSMs never really caught on up there.

I TRY to plant myself where I can get shots out to 300 yards, but sometimes even that's a struggle. My .270s do fine at that distance. And further, if I want.

Then again, that's northern Missouri, which is more open than this part of Kentucky, where a slug shotgun would work as well as anything else.

There just isn't a need, really, for a long-range rifle here, UNLESS YOU WANT ONE, of course.

In all my range time, I've never ran into anyone who had one, but I did find a box of empty cases at a range once. I brought it home as a curiosity, but it never got my blood up enough to buy one.

,300 WSM, ho hum.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by rjf

Go with the 300 Win Mag. Short actions are best for 308 based cartridges.

Scott
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Savage_99
My Kimber Montana 7mm WSM with it's 24" barrel is my lightest 7mm magnum!

With the Leupold 4.5-14X VX 3 on it it weighs 7# 1 oz

My Tikka .300 win mag ,weighs 7lb 1 oz also with a 6x on it...........

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I've owned a couple of 300WMs and one 300WSM. I don't own any big 300s currently because I just don't need that much power for our small southern whitetails. I almost bought a 300H&H just because I think it's a cool old cartridge.

The WSMs just don't excite me much. I'd have to run up on a fantastic deal to purchase another. On the other hand, I don't have any interest in another 300WM unless it's in a Sendero style rifle. Just too much recoil for my taste in a sporter weight rifle.

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BobinNH
300 WSM? Yawn...... tired

smile

It's all right. Cant get excited over it.

+1. Fading from what I see.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I chose the WSM over the Win mag when I was looking. No, I don't care if I can't 'duplicate' the win mag. My handloads don't bump against max anyway.

For deer I use something smaller, 243, 284, or 308.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 160user, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 59 invisible), 2,404 guests, and 1,347 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,946
Posts18,480,219
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.