Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
Cast Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I had a job interview this morning. Everybody agreed I was a perfect fit. I am. Until they asked if I had a four year degree, and not from an online university. I don't but usually my USN veteran status and extensive experience trumps that. Nope. Everybody at that place right down to the receptionist and assistants have four year degrees. I don't get it.

After conjugating on it, I don't think I would want to work at a place like that.

What say my new buddies?

Cast

I have a short attention spa

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I say you were interviewing for a company that doesn't require a resume so it must not be much of a company.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Free enterprise - it's their company, they can make the rules. I'd move on and find a place that appreciates you for what you are.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Only company I ever dealt with that required a degree for employment was plagued by bad management and has a log history of employee turnaround.

They literally replaced 3/4 of their staff every year.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Not too appear to nosy but what profession are you interviewing for?

Half my staff at Blue do not have degree's but they sure do kick some MBA butt!!! cool

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'd say you don't fit.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Years ago, when I was doing some hiring in a major manufacturing environment, I found that an Eagle Scout status equaled any four year degree.

The things that come to those that wait may be the things left by those who got there first.

Unk
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What the Hell does it matter what we say?

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Only company I ever dealt with that required a degree for employment was plagued by bad management and has a log history of employee turnaround.

They literally replaced 3/4 of their staff every year.

It appears many companies are using a diploma as a replacement for leadership and experience. Nothing replaces leadership and experience.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Cast
I had a job interview this morning. Everybody agreed I was a perfect fit. I am. Until they asked if I had a four year degree, and not from an online university. I don't but usually my USN veteran status and extensive experience trumps that. Nope. Everybody at that place right down to the receptionist and assistants have four year degrees. I don't get it.

After conjugating on it, I don't think I would want to work at a place like that.

What say my new buddies?

Not trying to be a dick, but I'd say your attention to detail sucks.

How is anyone supposed to provide any meaningful feedback with the information you provided?

IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
It's a different world than 20 years ago. Every kid living in his momma's basement gets a degree now because it keeps them from having to work for half a decade while living off of student loans. My cousin is a pharmacist with his own drug store, he has two guys with MBA's running the cash register making $10 an hour. That's how cheap the value of college has become.

When 90% of the public now has a degree in of some sort it becomes easy as an employer to use that as a criteria for hiring. It gives them something to sort applicants.

Not saying it's right, it just is.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I would also like to meet the idiot that asks if you have a degree, but specifies it cannot be from doing classes online.

Ph-fugking-D's can be achieved via online courses.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If an employer finds they have an abundance of qualified applicants, they can choose to be more selective in their hiring practices and use whatever criteria they choose.

Given a staggering percentage of high school grads that can barely read or perform simple math, I imagine many employers look at a college degree in the same way they looked at a high school diploma in years past.

Without giving a test in an interview, they employer doesn't have a means of determining a limited level of competence. Using a college degree is one method they can use.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
You didnt' say where/what re: the work.

Would you be teaching at an accredited school????

Last edited by muffin; 11/28/16.

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Cast, don't rule this place out, and don't sweat the lack of 4 year degree.

I worked in a professional environment with some very smart people for 30 years. Not all of them had college degrees. I understand the "nice to have" idea, but a technical interview will clear up any questions about your abilities.

I'll use an example of one here. A good compadre of mine (We'll call him BW) who I worked with for years did not have a college degree. He was the bar none best IT guy I ever worked with. He's a Billy Ray Cyrus looking Texas biker, complete with mullet.

It always gives me a quiet chuckle when I think about a very humble and innocuous line on his resume:

"Ability to facilitate communication between disparate systems". Barely skirts the edge of his expertise.

One night when he and his family were over for dinner, we talked about him jousting with Steven Hawkings over Black Hole Theory. Guess what. He was right and Steven Hawkings was wrong and finally admitted that fact several years later.

I've known several like BW. Maybe not at his level, but quite competent. I've also known UM Executive MBA's that couldn't form a coherent email. Keep that in mind.

Best of Luck to you.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Good, bad, or indifferent, degrees from brick and mortar schools are still considered "better" than degrees from online institutions. I see it all the time. Two people with the same degree, one online and one brick and mortar. Preference will go to brick and mortar almost every time.

The expert at anything was once a beginner.

JC
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
There's another caveat. If someone's not knowledgeable enough to know someone else is knowledgeable, then the job often goes to someone less knowledgeable.

Nuff said.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Years ago a new "boss" at a company I worked for declared he would only have degreed personnel in his group. This caused an experienced Tech Service guy to be "bumped' to a lab technician position. Not long after, "Jerry's" now former customers began calling and asking for him on problems. When told he was no longer doing that job, they would refuse to deal with anyone else. The company finally had to not only ask Jerry to take his old job back, they pretty much had to beg and give him several "extras", including more pay.

Seems they didn't know he as very good friends with and played golf with all those guys regularly, besides being very good at his job for a long time!

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I tried to take a step up in the company I work for, was not chosen for the position. The guy that got the job had a 4 year degree but had no experience in the field, I new the job by heart, and I was chosen to teach him the ropes.

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes."
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
First of all when you go to a job interview you should treat it as you searching for the right employer as much as they are searching for the right employee. If [bleep] ain't right, run down walk out of there.

My wife interviewed last year at a company that did some non-profit type work, one of the questions they asked her was if she could have a super power what would it be. She knew right then and there that she wasn't gonna fit in with those folks.

Count your blessings that this came up before you committed to something you will regret. Any person/company that values a piece of paper over actual skills is not going to go far regardless. YMMV

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 160user, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 222Sako, 58 invisible), 2,512 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,184
Posts18,484,764
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.