Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I think sometimes college is over rated.

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes."

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Without giving a test in an interview, they employer doesn't have a means of determining a limited level of competence. Using a college degree is one method they can use.

In addition, employers must be very careful when giving tests. Courts have ruled that if given test tends to eliminate a higher percentage of minorities it's discrimination, and they can be liable. Employers still need a sorting mechanism to eliminate the idiots, so, many now require a degree.

Not all degree's are created equal. This is especially true for online schools, many of which are "diploma mills" that will give you credit in "management" just for having a kid etc. There are too many of these worthless paper manufactures for employers to keep track of, as a result, some decided not to acknowledge any of them.

Not all brick and mortal school are equal either. There's a wide variety of admission standards, and programs can be more, or less rigorous. These differences can also provide employers a sorting mechanics to help weed out idiots.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by montanabadger

Sometimes? I guess that depends on how much you value liberal indoctrination.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A

Sometimes it is. Any degree that includes the word "studies", that is not for the purpose of helping us understand our enemies so we can be better at killing them is over-rated.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 11/28/16.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I've been turned down for jobs because I didn't have a degree, wasn't black, and once, just because I was a prick to the interviewer.

There are always greener pastures. I wouldn't want to work for a place that didn't want me as an employee.

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I think that most work places look at a brick and mortar degree as something that was not easy to obtain. I now that I did when I was in management. The fact that someone stuck it out over a 4,5,or 6 year term makes a difference in some people's yes. I have 3 college degrees w/my major study coming from the U of Texas. I rarely had trouble getting an interview for jobs I was qualified for. It does make a difference. powdr

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Some online diplomas are worth toilet paper but there are some very legitimate ones. My cousin got an MBA from Univ of Phoenix. He said he's never worked so hard in life as he did to get that. It's respected in the business world.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I tried to take a step up in the company I work for, was not chosen for the position. The guy that got the job had a 4 year degree but had no experience in the field, I new the job by heart, and I was chosen to teach him the ropes.

My wife was in a similar situation as a young lady. Was acting manager of the medical supply room for 3 months in a small hospital. She applied for the position and they gave it to a college grad with no in house experience. When HR asked her to show the new guy the ropes she told them straight up. "He's got the college degree, he can figure it out". my sister did the same thing when they hired a FOB asian lady. This lady feels threatened and keeps making a run at her but she just don't get up early enough to trip my sister up. She told the company owner/president, "nope, so and so hired her, so and so can train her".

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by powdr
I think that most work places look at a brick and mortar degree as something that was not easy to obtain. I now that I did when I was in management. The fact that someone stuck it out over a 4,5,or 6 year term makes a difference in some people's yes. I have 3 college degrees w/my major study coming from the U of Texas. I rarely had trouble getting an interview for jobs I was qualified for. It does make a difference. powdr

You gotta be kidding.

Three college degrees? And you can't spell or write a coherent paragraph?

You might have gotten an interview but I doubt it lasted more than a few minutes and only then if you are a member of the "Protected Class".

www.paracay.com

It's better to live rich than die rich. Live simply so that I may simply live large.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Spanokopitas
Originally Posted by powdr

You gotta be kidding.

Three college degrees? And you can't spell or write a coherent paragraph?

You might have gotten an interview but I doubt it lasted more than a few minutes and only then if you are a member of the "Protected Class".

His paragraph, while having a few errors, was much more comprehensible and far more earnest than rebottled, relabeled, and resold mixed wine. YMMV, of course, depending upon how close to the left coast, and/or how far up your own ass, your head might be. Given that you max both scales, it's no wonder you still don't get it.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
IC B3

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by deflave
I would also like to meet the idiot that asks if you have a degree, but specifies it cannot be from doing classes online.

Ph-fugking-D's can be achieved via online courses.

Dave

And you know this how? Hiccup, hiccup, wink grin

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by heavywalker
one of the questions they asked her was if she could have a super power what would it be.

What I wouldn't give for somebody to ask me this question in an interview! grin

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labΓ© skΓ½la

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You need to apply for a job that doesn't require a degree.

The USMC is hiring. Recon is an exciting career path.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Antelope Snipers last post is spot on!.......Cast, knowledge/experience trumps all, move on, don't get discouraged.........buntingmiester

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

Hoooleee schit, gotta send this one to my bud.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

That's what this man says.

grin

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My step-father graduated high school at 14 but the college wouldn't accept him until he was 16, so he went to work. Never did have time to get back to college, but ended up as General Mgr. of Shell Oil for all of Western Canada. So paper only goes so far. Cheers NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

May I gently inquire, what does the wine I produce and sell have anything to do with my previous post?

Have you ever tasted our wines? If not how do you render such a negative opinion?

I stand by my comment that anyone who has "three college degrees" could be so illiterate as to post such illiteracy.

You are somewhat behind Powdr in "brilliance" (or lack there of). And that isn't saying much.

www.paracay.com

It's better to live rich than die rich. Live simply so that I may simply live large.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
When I was an Electrical Contractor, I hired quite a few school trained journeymen, who had no field experience. I also hired many helpers, who had a lot of experience, but couldn't pass the test (reading & comprehension trouble)
I'd put the "journeyman" with the helper, and tell the schoolies - "Do what he says, unless it's a code violation. If it turns into an argument - call me - it IS my license, so I'll decide.
The journeymen got the experience, and we were able to get some helpers their journeyman tickets.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn LabΓ© SkΓ½la~
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by northcountry
My step-father graduated high school at 14 but the college wouldn't accept him until he was 16, so he went to work. Never did have time to get back to college, but ended up as General Mgr. of Shell Oil for all of Western Canada. So paper only goes so far. Cheers NC

And how much further could he have gone with the additional education for a good program?

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (10ring1, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1234, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 57 invisible), 2,553 guests, and 1,427 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,177
Posts18,484,676
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.