Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
What's the recovery time after surgery? Therapy??

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Godspeed...

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Any therapy hurts - but, DO IT!!! Religiously!

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ouch! They do hit hard in the NFL these days.

Don't know about your injury but I've seen that rehab is key for a good recovery. No less than the therapist demands but no more than they approve. Keep a fighting attitude.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dang Bruce, you have got to be funding one hell of a retirement for your orthopedist...

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Are you having it repaired or removed? I had a bucket handle tear and I opted for the removal. Much faster recovery and from what I read I have about the same odds of needing a knee replacement later. I was 36 when I had the surgery and a little over a year later I have some pain while hunting/hiking over uneven ground but nothing but a dull ache.

I was walking hours after surgery and just took it easy for a few days. Honestly when it came to recovery. I believe the surgeon was more worried about the incisions being reopened than anything else. There wasn't much PT but stick with it. Good luck!

Last edited by TexasTBag; 11/29/16.

Despite my user name, no I am not from Texas.........

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Heading to the doc at 11:00 today myself. I has 3 weeks of euflexa, but it still blew up like a balloon. Feels like I hit a funny bone. I did hunt like crazy last week, maybe time for a new knee.

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Best wishes on this thing.

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Good luck, I'm about to get over a broken ankle, it fugged up my summer.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
It ain't that bad. Arthroscopic removal, knee swollen for a few days. No therapy required.

That's how it went for me.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have had three in the last two years. Done on Friday, on crutches Saturday , off crutches Sunday, back to work on Monday. Now mind you I wasn't running a marathon afterwards but it really isn't anything. The biggest hassle is getting my range of motion back. After the knee was injured, I started to compensate which changed the way I walked. Learning to walk with a normal gait was the worst of it all. Habits are hard to break even if the problem is fixed.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bitch to get the meniscus to heal due to very low blood flow. usually best to trim off or remove. As others have said, physical terrorists(not an autocorrect) arr sadistic sons of b1tches but vital to healing right. Also better to take pain meds as being pain free means healing fastest and correctly. Skipping because your scared of them often means longer healing and likely hood of healing wrong. Easy as hell to taper off or cold turkey the meds from a meniscus tear/removal

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Holy Christ, I think I got some Motrin for mine. Unless Genghis Khan is during the surgery, it ain't a big deal.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've had two meniscus tear repairs, one in each knee.

Each was trimmed around the tear.

I had basically no pain, walked into the house (Dr office required wheel chair to car).

You will have big swelling and no range of motion, that's what PT will work on, then re-activate your quads, for some reason they tend to forget how to work after knee surgery.

Work HARD on range of motion, if you don't get it back fast teh PT will get it back for you and that will HURT. Then move to squats to strengthen.

I did PT on right knee, skipped it on left cause I knew what to do. My issue was not doing it religiously so recovery took longer. With PT they will KNOW if you did your excercises at home based on progress and if you aren't pregressing they will BEND it and that will hurt.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Holy Christ, I think I got some Motrin for mine. Unless Genghis Khan is during the surgery, it ain't a big deal.

Removal is alot more invasive than fixing a tear plus tears in different places mean cutting through different tissues than other places. Plus a bucket handle tear also often unvolves a tear to the ACL in some form. Buckethandle tear often means alot more damage than a simple rip to it

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I had a pretty bad tear and a lot of meniscus removed, I think I took 1 pain pill when I got home and kept waiting for it to hurt and it never really did so I

Not saying this to be tough just to not worry the OP. My surgery was easy peasey and I wish I wouldn't have waited so long to do it. I had a lot of pain before the surgery since some of the tear was getting stuck and I couldn't straighten my knee all the way. If I had to do it all over again I would have done it right away.

Despite my user name, no I am not from Texas.........

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by luv2safari
What's the recovery time after surgery? Therapy??

It all depends on what they find when they do the surgery...

For my repair, they spent more time removing scar tissue and chips than making the actual repair (trim the lose end)

It is now two year and i still have some pain where all the scar tissue was removed. Old ranching injury's from cattle and sheep.

After the swelling went down, the movement was back to normal in no time. I used over the counter ibuprofen to reduce the swelling and pain..

"Sorry don't get it done, Dude"
John Wayne 1959
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Artho in January guide for sheep in August the 10 mile trip in w gear 55 lb pack easy

The trip out with a sheep not so much

Knee swelled,like a balloon had to have it drained

I went ham on the pt I'm convinced the queens of mean were a big help to me in getting ready to hunt

If I had it to do over surgery in nov

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Hope that gets better in a hurry.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Seen many repaired various ways in surgery.... Suture and anchors are usually a bitch to make work ..... They pull out and typically do not "hold" well.

I would just get a punch/biter and/or arthroscopic shaver and remove it

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

538 members (12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 160user, 10ring1, 62 invisible), 2,206 guests, and 1,174 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,009
Posts18,500,140
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.