Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
some sorry mofo shot a good 10 pt buck in area 44a with a fugging pb on nov5 ran into him and dipshit buddy on the 6th said they jumped it 3 times from its bed trying to find it and they said its leg was flopping. i just listened fuming inside cause it was about 600yds as the crow flies thru heavy mature pines and undergrowth from where i hunt

bout an hour before i ran into these dipchits on the 6th
i was hunting the fringe of a bedding area with plenty of fresh scrapes and rubs and around 10 am i heard what sounded like heavy labored breathing about 200 yds away for around 4-5 minutes thought it strange
then i ran into dip and chit on the way back to my truck and this is when i gleaned the info from them
i showed dip and chit what a barnes ml expander is and told them pb,s aint worth a pisshole in a snow bank then i show dip and chit a shed i found not 75 yds outta a spot i hunt and dip says he looked like that only somewhaat bigger

im fuming in my mind.........

the shed i found scored 72 inches.........

went back on the 10th no fresh sign on the fringes of the bedding area scrapes all covered in leaves
place is shut the fugg down......

im pissed the spot is shut down cause that 10 pt is wounded im thinking

go back on the 11th hunt a spot probably with 100 yds of where i heard the heavy breathing sounds

see buzzards in the area

still dont dawn on me

go home
then realize it probably was that buck and it took him a couple of days to die maybe

i need to get back in their this weekend and poke around
see if i can find this dead deer

fugg powerbelts and fugg people who cant shoot worth a dam.................

Last edited by renegade50; 11/23/16.
GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
You blame PB's when the hit was in the leg.Yep,definitely bad bullets.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Im not sure how I have killed elk with PB but people cant kill deer.

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
WAUGH! All you powerbelt shooters are liars! You most likely have to shoot the poor damn deer half a dozen times before running up to it and having to stab it to death with your ramrod!

laugh laugh

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bigblock455
WAUGH! All you powerbelt shooters are liars! You most likely have to shoot the poor damn deer half a dozen times before running up to it and having to stab it to death with your ramrod!

laugh laugh

yeah,i wouldn't shoot anything with a powerbelt. buck last week just fell on it own in front of my treestand.powerbelt had nothing to do with it.a guy on the whietail section says he shot a buck with a 6mm and the bullet didn't exit. everyone says great bullet performance. it laid under the hide on the opposite side like powerbelts do sometimes but powerbelts always perform poorly.if the deer falls within 40yds i could care less where the bullet went.i have a bunch of 295 hp bullets that are quarter size and weigh around 240grn.

Last edited by srwshooter; 11/23/16.
IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I guess I have to cut these PB's in half so they won't kill as dead The elk are not as hard to kill as deer I guess.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Plus they keep over expanding on me.

[Linked Image]

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Do you think and I say think that Black horn is either to much powder or to hot of a load.When you have a product that works with triple 7 or pellets or black powder maybe don;t screw with it . Maybe you should start with Black horn an difference powder loads and bullets of difference makers Not what the gun shot with before

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by GoexBlackhorn

What bullets am I taking to the woods tomorrow...... roundballs, Hornady XTP 300 in44-cal for my Omega and Precision QT Polymer Tip 50/40 in 185 grain, which I will continue experimenting with in my 1:66 twist roundball gun. I'll reserve my 295gr Copper HP Powerbelts for muzzleloader season in December.

I never used a powerbelt, but I I'll add that you have at least 2 very tried and true and effective projectiles listed above.

I use RB in my 54 and its a hammer. The 300gn xtp jsut plain works. Every time. We've had some splashing (?) issues with the 240gn xtps. Not a huge %, but a couple of big deer were either lost or required more shooting and the initial shots proved to be superficial. I would still use the 240 or 250xtp, but I am typically a lung shooter. For shoulders or any angle, that 300 is a winner.

The Qt 40's are fun. I never went with 195's, I used the 250's a bunch. nice soft lead, accurate, flat for a non magnum ML shooter. Again, I use them behind the hsoulder or neck, not in the shoulder.

So anyway, yeah... +1 on your choices and guys can keep the powerbelts.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by saddlesore
I guess I have to cut these PB's in half so they won't kill as dead The elk are not as hard to kill as deer I guess.\

Are you using the lighter weight or the heavier PB's?

Light powder charge?

Lung shooting or shoulders.

Just curious, but I suspect it all makes a difference.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Crockettnj
Originally Posted by saddlesore
I guess I have to cut these PB's in half so they won't kill as dead The elk are not as hard to kill as deer I guess.\

Are you using the lighter weight or the heavier PB's?

Light powder charge?

Lung shooting or shoulders.

Just curious, but I suspect it all makes a difference.

I have used both 295 and 348 gr PB. 90 gr of BP or 90 gr of BH209.Probably will drop to 80 gs BH209 next year.

Strickly a lung shooter. Since I hunt mostly cows with a ML, I am after the meat and they are "B" tags.Then I can buy another OTC bull "A"tag in rifle season

For deer I use the 295's

Last edited by saddlesore; 11/24/16.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
While shopping for bargins yesterday picked up a couple of packages of 250 grain Barnes MZ flat points. Our shots will never exceed 50 yards so the flat points should be fine. If they are capable of shooting into a 1.5 inch circle at 50 yards will try them next season. This way between the wife and I one will be trying the Hornadys and the other Barnes.

At least the Powerbelts are accurate enough for practice and gong ringing. When we sighted in our rifles with the Hornadys they were more accurate than the PB's at 50 yards.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by 7mmMato

It's one of the mysteries of the universe, has something to do with the space-time continuum.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by 7mmMato

It's one of the mysteries of the universe, has something to do with the space-time continuum.

This thread was started about the 245 grain PB bullet. Not all the other weights some of you posted out

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Yep, but then you have the "Powerbelts suck" contingent.

That seems a little more all-encompassing.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I didn't even get to strike one. They were tumbling out of my TC for some reason.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
While shopping for bargins yesterday picked up a couple of packages of 250 grain Barnes MZ flat points. Our shots will never exceed 50 yards so the flat points should be fine. If they are capable of shooting into a 1.5 inch circle at 50 yards will try them next season. This way between the wife and I one will be trying the Hornadys and the other Barnes.

At least the Powerbelts are accurate enough for practice and gong ringing. When we sighted in our rifles with the Hornadys they were more accurate than the PB's at 50 yards.

At 50 yards, anything should work. Seriously, try the T/C "Cheap Shot" sabots with the .452" 240 grain lead HPs. They are very cheap (about $6 for a box of 20 at WalMart), and work plenty well.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by tzone
I didn't even get to strike one. They were tumbling out of my TC for some reason.

Not surprised. TC's are one of the worst brands to buy when you want to shoot conicals. TC even used to tell you their rifles were designed for sabots, not conicals. Their QLA system was a poor set up and causes huge accuracy problems with conicals.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Between the terrible TCs and the sh*tty powerbelts, it's a wonder we ever kill anything.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I am shooting the plain lead 405 gr. PBs out of my sidelock Traditions ML.

90 grains of Goex 2f is the charge.

I'll let you know how they work if I get a shot at an elk this weekend. They shoot much better than TC Maxi Balls for some reason, and are easier to load.

I admit I'm having a hard time imagining how that won't work from 0 to 100 yards, although the shot from my stands are all less than 50 yards...

Regards,
Ben
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by smokepole
Between the terrible TCs and the sh*tty powerbelts, it's a wonder we ever kill anything.

Truly.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (007FJ, 160user, 12344mag, 16penny, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 62 invisible), 2,374 guests, and 1,210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,821
Posts18,477,839
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.