Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I would go with the Colt in your post... I have been carrying a Colt Commander in .38 Super daily since 1980. The two that I have carried have been wonderfully accurate and very well made...

Have a third one made just a few years ago and it also has been excellent...

Also I am not sure if they still are, but Colt aluminum frames were forged not cast.

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
GB1

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RJM
Also I am not sure if they still are, but Colt aluminum frames were forged not cast.

Bob
Good to know. I'll have send Colt an email and ask.

"Hey jackass, get your government off my freedom."
MOLON LABE
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Smith frames are Scandi-monium. A rare and strong Viking alloy from Sveden or someplace......

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 4ager
Originally Posted by OutlawPatriot
This is the one of those I was looking at:

http://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/sw1911sc-e-series-round-butt-scandium-frame

Buds has it for $1120

Buy it.

Check it out, I found the same model on the Bud's Law Enforcement/Military site for about 200 bucks less or $945 smile

MOLON LABE
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have been thinking about adding a 1911 45ACP to my collection. Been looking at these two guns and was wondering if anyone had thoughts to share.

Colt Lightweight Commander:
http://www.colt.com/Catalog/Pistols/Lightweight-Commander

Kimber Tactical Pro II:
http://www.kimberamerica.com/tactical-pro-ii?___SID=U

There are a couple of differences between those 2 guns to be aware of if they mean anything to you.

The Colt has a barrel bushing, the Kimber does not & has a bull barrel, making the disassembly different.

The Kimber has a firing pin safety system, the Colt has a trigger safety, but they are both different but both accomplish the same goal; both work if you can tolerate firing pin/trigger safeties; both can be removed or circumvented if desired.

The S&W you are considering is an E-series version which means it does not have a firing pin or trigger safety, it's a true pre-'80 series internals configuration.

All are good pieces, just depends on what you like the most; all may need some tuning, or maybe none will need any. Good aftermarket magazines, like Tripp Cobra mags are a big plus.

None are particularly "better or worse" for all intents & purposes, but if you are going to carry it more than shoot it, the lightweight frames are my preference.

JMO&E, YMMV.

MM

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
My S&W M&P 9mm is a version that doesn't have the safeties so I'm kind of used to not having them. That might be a plus for the E-series model imo.

MOLON LABE
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It still has the normal 1911 thumb & grip safeties, as do the others, as I expect that you know.

MM

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
The Colt 80 series safety is robust and trouble free, far more so than the Swartz found on series II Kimbers.

I'd get the Colt.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Colt over Kimber or S&W. Nobody likes Kimbers except for guys in the Pac NW.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by bhemry
weighs around 30 pounds

Dang! That's pretty heavy! wink

LOL. I see the steel guns up around the 36-40 ounce area. I assume the lightweight ones use alloy frames like aluminum to cut weight. When I'm just shooting at the range for an hour, I don't really care, and in some ways, I like the heavier guns because they're steadier. I assume if I started carrying one, the extra 6-10 ounces would be a big deal after a few hours? But I don't know, because I don't carry mine yet. What do you guys think, I assume an all steel gun is more durable and reliable. Is the slightly lighter weight worth considering for carry comfort?

Durability and reliability of steel vs alloy frame is a non-issue for most users. You'd have to fire tens of thousands of rounds to even consider it.

"Shootability" of steel vs alloy is another matter. Both of my commander size 1911s balance well, but the heavier steel frame pistol is easier to shoot accurately and for longer range sessions. Alloy frame versions are less comfortable to shoot, more comfortable to carry.

IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by SargeMO
The Colt 80 series safety is robust and trouble free, far more so than the Swartz found on series II Kimbers.

I'd get the Colt.

This is so true.

Colt tried the Swartz system many decades ago. Found it to be problematic. Dropped it real quick.

Also. "Blue Book of Guns" does not like Kimbers. They do not hold their value like the Colts.

...and by the way, the Colt's aluminum frame is forged.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
weighs around 30 pounds

LOL. Yeah. That's what stood out for me, too.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by T LEE
Colt Lightweight Commander without a doubt.
Only if they still make one in classic configuration. If so, that would be an excellent choice. In 1911s I've come to shun all the modern bells and whistles that have seemed to become standard (beavertails, etc.). I'd also avoid one with an intenal firing pin safety. Who needs the extra complexity and reassembly hassles every time you field strip it.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
In 1911s I've come to shun all the modern bells and whistles that have seemed to become standard (beavertails, etc.).

Yeah, all that "modern" stuff that has been around since the mid '60's.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Find the S&W 1911 Scandium Commander. Hella great pistol.

Yes they are! I wouldn't hesitate at all to carry one! Huntsman22 seems to really love his.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/sw1911sc-e-series-round-butt-scandium-frame

Buds has it for $1120

If you're looking in that kind of price range I'd bite the bullet and, for a couple hundred more, go with a Dan Wesson Guardian (Cmdr) or CCO (Ofcr).

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Outlaw,
You're on the right track looking at Bud's LE/ Military page. They have some mighty good deals there. It's where I've bought a couple shotguns. Very easy to deal with.
Buy the Colt.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by T LEE
Colt Lightweight Commander without a doubt.
Only if they still make one in classic configuration. If so, that would be an excellent choice. In 1911s I've come to shun all the modern bells and whistles that have seemed to become standard (beavertails, etc.). I'd also avoid one with an intenal firing pin safety. Who needs the extra complexity and reassembly hassles every time you field strip it.

Colt's 21st Century Commander.

http://www.colt.com/Catalog/Special-Editions/Wiley-Clapp-Pistols

It's moto:
"Everything you need and nothing you don't".

The Wiley

Series 70

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Buds has it for $1120

Buy it.

Check it out, I found the same model on the Bud's Law Enforcement/Military site for about 200 bucks less or $945 smile

Buy it.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by JOG
In 1911s I've come to shun all the modern bells and whistles that have seemed to become standard (beavertails, etc.).

Yeah, all that "modern" stuff that has been around since the mid '60's.
They started becoming standard equipment in the 1990s. Regardless of how you characterize these additions, however, I've come to prefer them not being there. You are certainly free to hold a different opinion.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
weighs around 30 pounds

LOL. Yeah. That's what stood out for me, too.

ROTF okay, 30 ounces laugh

MOLON LABE
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

454 members (16penny, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 11point, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 60 invisible), 2,704 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,642
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.