Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I'm starting to mull a purchase here.

I had THOUGHT I wanted a VX6, as the 1-6 power range was attractive to me. I hunt some pretty thick cover at times, and a true 1x bottom end is nice, but we also have point restrictions here in PA, and I find it faster to spin a power ring on a scope than go from binos to rifle. Once I know it's a deer, I don't mind putting a scope to it to count points. I use the binos for other optics work, as I won't just scope brush and such.

Problem with the VX6 is that it's just too dang big for a Guide Gun.

I'm looking for something compact, but with great optical abilities. I run mostly Meopta and Swarovski on my bolt guns, and love the brightness they provide. I do have a Leupold VX7 on a bolt gun, too.

A thick bold reticle is my preference, and illumination isn't a bad thing, either, but not necessary.

So far, I have Leupold on my list. A 1-4 with a German #4 wouldn't be a bad thing, or a heavy duplex. I get 50% off Leupold, as well, so that makes them even more attractive.

My problem with Leupold is that I often find they lose eye relief as you turn the power ring on them, and this is going on a 45-70. I'd prefer not to wear my scope. smile

I've not been watching the lower power scope market much lately till now....

Suggestions on scopes I should be looking at? I won't make this purchase for a little, while but I'd like to start doing my homework.

Thanks!

GB1

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I've had quite a few on a 1895M in 450 Marlin. Weaver K4, Nikon Monarch 1-4x20, VX3 1.5-5, 1.75-6, and a 2.5-8.

I went back to the 1.5-5 VX3. Just felt better all around in terms of my cheek weld and never had a split eyebrow. Although, the fixed Weaver was a favorite as well, but i wanted the ability to dial up or down in magnification.

Trevor
Tract Optics
www.TractOptics.com

Use discount code: 24HOUR5 for 5% off your order!
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
It has a 1.5-5 VariX III now, but I'm really good and tired of the friction adjustments that make zeroing it take more ammo/time than it should, and the reticle is an odd one...very fine taper from thick outer edges to fine center....never have seen one like it before, nor since.

It was my late grandfather's scope, and I'll never sell it, but it's not in the right place on that Marlin.

Thanks for the suggestion on the VX3. Definitely one I've considered, although I forget about the 1.5-5....I always seem to think of the 3x scopes being 1-4.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Happy
Campfire 'Bwana
T

My Marlin GS Guide gun...that my SIL now owns has a

4200 Bushy 1-6x32 w/Firefly reticle on it...has to be one

of the near perfect optics for this 45-70...the 1-4 Weavers...

Nikons...Leo's would also be an excellent choice...don't skimp...

the 450 is a Thumper on both ends.....

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
My Marlin doesn't belt the shoulder bad at all. It's ported, so not sure if that does much...I don't have a point for comparison, as this is my one and only guide gun, but it's not a hard kicker imho. I'm shooting 350gr Kodiaks at about 1900.

My days of cutting corners on scopes are years behind me. I'm in no way willing to put a stinker optic on anything I have anymore, and haven't been for a long while, lol.

The "worst" scope in my bunch of Model 70's is a Minox ZA3. There's a Conquest in there, a Leup. VX7, the VariX III on the 45-70 now, plus another on a 204 Ruger, a couple of Swaro Z3's, and two Meopta's.

My premiums for the scope, besides the basics (rugged, tracking, holds zero, etc), are to provide plenty of eye relief, as much light transmission as I can wring out of my wallet, and a highly visible reticle.

Leupold's German #1 is interesting. I know their Heavy Duplex will work well, too.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not sure why friction adjustments would require more ammo to sight in?

The VX3 1.5-5x20 with heavy duplex would be perfect. I own 2. One is on a 444 Marlin.

You could always just send your scope in for a reticle change........

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
You might consider a Trijicon Accupoint 1-4. I have mine on an AR, it has the green triangle/post reticle. It is effortless to 300 yards and is built to withstand stout recoil. I have XS ghost rings on Guide Gun but have been considering putting on an XS rail and an Accupoint.

The Accupoint has both fiber optic and tritium illumination and is,in my opinion, the perfect DG optic.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by lvmiker
You might consider a Trijicon Accupoint 1-4. I have mine on an AR, it has the green triangle/post reticle. It is effortless to 300 yards and is built to withstand stout recoil. I have XS ghost rings on Guide Gun but have been considering putting on an XS rail and an Accupoint.

The Accupoint has both fiber optic and tritium illumination and is,in my opinion, the perfect DG optic.

mike r

They also have out a new Accupower line which uses LED illumination. Same great glass and build quality but cheaper and with better eye relief.
http://swfa.com/Trijicon-1-4x24-AccuPower-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P82986.aspx

The SWFA SS may also be a consideration.
http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-1-4x24-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P78365.aspx

I don't personally feel that a 1-6 would be too big but I don't trust Leupold's reliability the last few years.
http://swfa.com/Trijicon-1-6x24-AccuPoint-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P82967.aspx

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
That SS 1-4 might be best, what a bargain!

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
The VX6 just doesn't work on a guide gun. A buddy of mine got a 1-6 VX6, which is what I was looking to put on this, and he has a guide gun, too. He took a pic of the VX6 and the guide gun together, and it just doesn't work. The length, size, etc, are all too big to get the thing on there. It was not made with a lever gun in mind.

By virtue of being a hunter education instructor, I get 50% off 1 scope per year (off of MSRP) from Leupold, so the VX3i is on my radar.

The SWFA scope is, too.

I hadn't thought of Trijicon, but I should have. I'll check them out.

I can get into a VX3i for around $250-$275, so the price on them is attractive, too.

IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by lvmiker
That SS 1-4 might be best, what a bargain!

mike r

I would trust it much more than a Leupold.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by tddeangelo
The VX6 just doesn't work on a guide gun. A buddy of mine got a 1-6 VX6, which is what I was looking to put on this, and he has a guide gun, too. He took a pic of the VX6 and the guide gun together, and it just doesn't work. The length, size, etc, are all too big to get the thing on there. It was not made with a lever gun in mind.

By virtue of being a hunter education instructor, I get 50% off 1 scope per year (off of MSRP) from Leupold, so the VX3i is on my radar.

The SWFA scope is, too.

I hadn't thought of Trijicon, but I should have. I'll check them out.

I can get into a VX3i for around $250-$275, so the price on them is attractive, too.

I have been thinking illumination because you mentioned the VX6 but if illumination isn't that important I have a great scope suggestion for you.
http://www.scopelist.com/RZR-6638-Razor-HD-LH-15-8x32-Riflescope-with-G4-BDC-RZR-6638.aspx

I just bought one for my Kimber Montana. Glass is way better than any Leupold.Eye box is better than the low power Leupolds I have used as well.It is also very compact and light. This one is made by LOW in Japan,so build quality is very good as well.

On my Kimber
[Linked Image]

G4 BDC Reticle is really nice too if you like the German #4.
: http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-razor-hd-lh-1.5-8x32-g4-bdc-riflescope#opi2471903876

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Weird reticle in that SS scope, though....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

My Marlin Guide gun scope is a Leupold varix3 1.5-5 with a heavy duplex. If there is a better scope for a Guide gun,I haven't used it.

It has plenty of field of view on low power,and at 5x it has plenty of eye relief. I have shot one inch groups with this rig from a bench and never came close to getting whacked by the scope.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My GG is naked, but I have to admit looking at the Leupold VX-HOG 1x-4x. I shoot some pretty sporty loads, so I understand what you mean by eye relief laugh .

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
What about the Leupold Fx-ii 2.2 Power, 4.9" of eye relief and small and light enough to. Ot change the way your rfilhandles

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I assume you meant the Leupold 2.5x Ultralight? that's my pick.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I'd get a 3x20 from Leupold and have a bold post and duplex reticle. Would fit that gun perfectly. powdr

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Leupold VX2 2-7x33 with a heavy duplex.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I still say keep Grandpa's scope in the woods!

Reticle change to heavy D and rock on. It just so conveniently happens to be the perfect scope for that rifle.........

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

488 members (12344mag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 46 invisible), 2,239 guests, and 1,125 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,509
Posts18,490,747
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.