Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by RBO
Three more reasons to get a 280ai

The moose was 560yds

The muley was 365yds

The whitetail was 390yds

All taken with my Kimber 280ai and a 140gr Barnes TTSX between November 21-26 2016

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Best cartridge ever....... lol!

Wonderful animals! Congrats!

No other cartridge coulda done that! grin

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
GB1

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Sounds like the 280ai is about the same position as the 16 gauge is to shotguns.😇

Dennis

Lets start over and talk about something you know about, like Mexican food.
RBO Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by RBO
Three more reasons to get a 280ai

The moose was 560yds

The muley was 365yds

The whitetail was 390yds

All taken with my Kimber 280ai and a 140gr Barnes TTSX between November 21-26 2016

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Best cartridge ever....... lol!

Wonderful animals! Congrats!

No other cartridge coulda done that! grin

Thanks Bob, I knew you'd come around sooner or later smile

I was only the guide on this hunt, the lucky hunter is a guy from Pennsylvania who used to be just a client but now I considered to be one of my best friends. He has been coming up hunting with me every year since 99' or 2000. Started out bringing a 338-378 but over the past few years has just used my rifles. This year was the first time he had bought all three species of tags, he's taken some pretty impressive animals over the years but we've never had to ship this much antler south at one time before.

I can't take credit for harvesting these animals, just putting him on them and making sure he had a trusty 280ai in his hands with a scope calibrated to its load while I called the ranges.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
RBO: That guy owes you big time! Those are all great animals and to get all three on one trip is a really exceptional treat for both of you.

They are all great but I really love the whitetail....he is really impressive.

Alberta I assume or did I miss that? What general area?

Think it coulda been done with a 270? grin

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
RBO: That guy owes you big time! Those are all great animals and to get all three on one trip is a really exceptional treat for both of you.

Yup. wink

Or any number of other cartridges. smile

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tackleman
Sounds like the 280ai is about the same position as the 16 gauge is to shotguns.😇

Don't nobody be talking bout no 16 gauge shotguns, my momma don't be talking bout 16 gauge shotguns. You hear me boy???

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RBO
The 280ai is quite possibly the ultimate North American hunting cartridge. From the plains to the mountain range, and from western blacktails to the speed goats of the prairies, the northern whitetails, Utah bull elk, right up to the Alaskan moose, it is at home. It might not be a first choice for a 1000yd gong shooter, but as a practical hunting cartridge I can't think of a better all round cartridge. There are a few that would fit the bill, but when you average the trajectory, with the kinetic energy, felt recoil, bc and bullet selection, if you reload there isn't a better cartridge. If there is id love to hear what it is?

First off, I'd suggest the 7mm RM. Same bullets, higher velocities or same velocities with lower pressures (take your pick), MUCH better selection of factory ammo, identical rifles except for the chamber and possibly the cartridge follower and a wider selection of rifles, too. Essentially there is NOTHING a .280AI can do that a 7mm RM can't do but there are things a 7mm RM can do that a .280 AI cannot - particularly with heavier bullets. [Full disclosure: My first centerfire rifle was a 7mm RM back in 1982. It has been used for prairie dogs to elk.]

Secondly, I would suggest, like others here, a .30-06 as a candidate for the best "all-around" rifle choice. This is what I've purchased as wedding gifts for my current and future sons-in-law. (The future one doesn't get his until after the ceremony.) As an "all around" rifle and especially for non-handloaders, a .30-06 is hard to beat. The selection of factory ammo is second to none with options from reduced recoil to light bullets to heavies in the 220g range or more. And don't forget cheaper ammo than the .280AI for those that shoot factory stuff. And again, in rifles identical to the .280AI. While a .280AI may beat a .30-06 in specific situations, the difference is pretty minimal from a practical standpoint for most shooters. If hunting in brown bear territory, I'd much rather have a .30-06 with a 220g bullet than a .280AI.

Lastly, while there are many good candidates, in wildcats I opted for a 6.5-06AI. All three daughters love shooting mine and I'll put it up against a .280 AI any day.

Not knocking the .280AI as I think it is a fine cartridge. My choice is a standard .280 Rem and I feel no need to ream the chamber to an AI config. It works fine as-is.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's really not that complicated.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by 16bore
Originally Posted by Tackleman

Don't nobody be talking bout no 16 gauge shotguns, my momma don't be talking bout 16 gauge shotguns. You hear me boy???

Don't get me wrong, I am truly a lover of the 16 gauge, having as many as 16 16 gauges at one time. I also think the 280ai is a great cartridge.

Dennis

Lets start over and talk about something you know about, like Mexican food.
RBO Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

It was definitely a trip to remember, and yes it was in northern Alberta. The muley was just shy of 160, the moose I'm guessing would be in the high 140's (we never measured) but the whitetail grossed over 170 and to be honest the pictures don't do it justice.

As for the 270...... doubt it. smile

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It would have over-penetrated with 130's.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 16bore
It would have over-penetrated with 130's.

If they didn't bounce off first...

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Originally Posted by RBO
The 280ai is quite possibly the ultimate North American hunting cartridge. From the plains to the mountain range, and from western blacktails to the speed goats of the prairies, the northern whitetails, Utah bull elk, right up to the Alaskan moose, it is at home. It might not be a first choice for a 1000yd gong shooter, but as a practical hunting cartridge I can't think of a better all round cartridge. There are a few that would fit the bill, but when you average the trajectory, with the kinetic energy, felt recoil, bc and bullet selection, if you reload there isn't a better cartridge. If there is id love to hear what it is?

First off, I'd suggest the 7mm RM. Same bullets, higher velocities or same velocities with lower pressures (take your pick), MUCH better selection of factory ammo, identical rifles except for the chamber and possibly the cartridge follower and a wider selection of rifles, too. Essentially there is NOTHING a .280AI can do that a 7mm RM can't do but there are things a 7mm RM can do that a .280 AI cannot - particularly with heavier bullets. [Full disclosure: My first centerfire rifle was a 7mm RM back in 1982. It has been used for prairie dogs to elk.]

Secondly, I would suggest, like others here, a .30-06 as a candidate for the best "all-around" rifle choice. This is what I've purchased as wedding gifts for my current and future sons-in-law. (The future one doesn't get his until after the ceremony.) As an "all around" rifle and especially for non-handloaders, a .30-06 is hard to beat. The selection of factory ammo is second to none with options from reduced recoil to light bullets to heavies in the 220g range or more. And don't forget cheaper ammo than the .280AI for those that shoot factory stuff. And again, in rifles identical to the .280AI. While a .280AI may beat a .30-06 in specific situations, the difference is pretty minimal from a practical standpoint for most shooters. If hunting in brown bear territory, I'd much rather have a .30-06 with a 220g bullet than a .280AI.

Lastly, while there are many good candidates, in wildcats I opted for a 6.5-06AI. All three daughters love shooting mine and I'll put it up against a .280 AI any day.

Not knocking the .280AI as I think it is a fine cartridge. My choice is a standard .280 Rem and I feel no need to ream the chamber to an AI config. It works fine as-is.

You are WAY late to the party....

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
RBO Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RBO

Um...... nope.

Clearly this could only happen with the 280ai, I don't know what else I have to do to prove it to you guys.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RBO
Um...... nope.

Clearly this could only happen with the 280ai, I don't know what else I have to do to prove it to you guys.

Good luck with that.

RBO Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RBO
Um...... nope.

Good luck with that.

I don't need luck..... I've got a 280ai!

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The 280AI is basically the same as a 270 or 30/06! It does however possess some unique qualities that the 270 and 30/06 have not yet mastered. For one I have heard that you can shoot oatmeal in the 280AI cartridge, apparently a fireforming quality that neither the 270 or 30/06 are capable of actually making the 280AI more capable if one is of a reasoning mind.

Of coarse if one really wanted to they could just load a 150 gr bullet at 3000 fps in the 280 and take with ease anything the 280AI would be capable of but then you would be missing out on shooting oatmeal. grin

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by RBO

It was definitely a trip to remember, and yes it was in northern Alberta. The muley was just shy of 160, the moose I'm guessing would be in the high 140's (we never measured) but the whitetail grossed over 170 and to be honest the pictures don't do it justice.

As for the 270...... doubt it. smile

I understand.....but it already has. wink

Thats a big whitetail.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
First blood with the new 280 AI. I guess they work.

[Linked Image]

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Page 13 of 13 1 2 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (007FJ, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 59 invisible), 2,488 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,410
Posts18,470,373
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.