Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#11639092 12/06/16
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I've used the good ones and the used the cheap ones. I'm hard on them. Maui Jim, Ray Ban , and Vuarnet seem to be durable in that it takes me longer to bend the frames or script the lens. Ray Ban aviators last me the longest since the arms can be replaced.

The $10-15 ones I look at as disposable, but when I'm coaching on the baseball diamond they work since the good ones get scratched from the dirt, stepped on in the batting cages etc.

I like polarized to cut the glare.

What works for you?

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
GB1

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
I'm kind of a sunglasses junky. I am also very particular about the quality of vision that I get. The best I've found in that regard are my Maui Jim glasses with the titanium ribbon bows. Very light, comfortable, exceedingly acute visually. Have gone through a number of Ray Ban aviators over the years. Several styles of Oakleys work well for me too.

Somebody will probably come on and say cheap sunglasses protect your eyes from UV as well as expensive ones, but there's more to it than protecting your eyes from uv. (Just like there's more to a riflescope than magnifying what you're shooting at.)

Mathew 22: 37-39

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
All mine also wear straps. I'll no more use cheap sun glasses than I will hunt with a $30 binocular.

I've been wearing the same Costa Del Mar for the past 9 years.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Only one type of sunglasses exist.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by hatari
I've used the good ones and the used the cheap ones. I'm hard on them. Maui Jim, Ray Ban , and Vuarnet seem to be durable in that it takes me longer to bend the frames or script the lens. Ray Ban aviators last me the longest since the arms can be replaced.

The $10-15 ones I look at as disposable, but when I'm coaching on the baseball diamond they work since the good ones get scratched from the dirt, stepped on in the batting cages etc.

I like polarized to cut the glare.

What works for you?

Every now and then I wander into a cheap store and buy half dozen or so cheap pair that suit, I then proceed to lose, scratch, and destroy said items.
I came to this after watching the left lens of a very nice set of zeiss sunglass' drop out of the frame and merrily wing it's way to a bloody great big piece out of it via the cement I was standing on.

And if I buy well those half dozen pair cost me no more than $30.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Same type since 1980 by American Optical:
[img]https://www.amazon.com/AO-Original-...3&keywords=american+optics+polarized[/img]

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Smith Optics

The very best sunglasses made and most are lifetime warranted.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Redneck

Good grief...what the hell was that!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
You don't know about ZZ-Top???? You been in a cave for five decades?? laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by cra1948
I'm kind of a sunglasses junky. I am also very particular about the quality of vision that I get. The best I've found in that regard are my Maui Jim glasses with the titanium ribbon bows. Very light, comfortable, exceedingly acute visually. Have gone through a number of Ray Ban aviators over the years. Several styles of Oakleys work well for me too.

Somebody will probably come on and say cheap sunglasses protect your eyes from UV as well as expensive ones, but there's more to it than protecting your eyes from uv. (Just like there's more to a riflescope than magnifying what you're shooting at.)

This in spades^

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I usually go through a couple cheap pair every year. I like amber lens, not too dark.

This year I bought a decent pair of Serengeti. Like them quite a bit so far. Haven't lost or busted them yet.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Redneck
You don't know about ZZ-Top???? You been in a cave for five decades?? laugh

Not really...I have skun cats before but did not expect to hear it on my computer.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Cheap safety sunglasses for me, mostly from CDNN but only on closeout like they are right now.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Oakley half jackets with multiple lenses. easy to replace and very good.

Native eyewear. my newest ones are the dash plus. again, multiple lenses and everything is replaceable.

both are really light and function as shooting glasses also.

Optically, I would say the Oakley's might be a bit better but they are a bit more expensive.

Last edited by OSU_Sig; 12/06/16.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
We have nice looking dark safety at work. Get all I want

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
What works for me is the cheapest pair of polarized one's I can find that fit well.
I will also use a pair of dark safety or cutting glasses till they get scratched up a bit.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Since I wear glasses, my options are much more limited. Prescription shades are too expensive and a pain in the rear. I've finally gone with cheap clip ons and have several lying around. They get scratched too easily and aren't as dark as I'd like but it work.
For fishing, I have a pair with side panels that fit over my regular glasses. They're too bulky for normal wear, though.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
An friend of my brother's is a MD, he field tests Costa Del Mar sunglasses. He once recieved a case of them for his troubles and promptly gave them to the local firefighters and deputies in his area. He speaks very highly of them as does anyone that owns them.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I use to drive for a living and always had Revo's. They have always been great for me and fit my melon head. In the last few years there quality seems to have gone down quite a bit. My next pair will be the Maui Jims.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (22250rem, 1936M71, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 57 invisible), 2,626 guests, and 1,351 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,697
Posts18,475,205
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.