Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
The town of Port Angeles, WA paid over $100K for 3 of them to light a city park. They now figure that they'll save all of $42/month. That works out to a mere 212 years and they'll be paid for. We should all buy a couple.

Report: Costly wind turbines projected to yield $1.39 in daily savings
Published December 08, 2016 FoxNews.com
The Peninsula Daily News reported that the Port Angeles turbines, which haven’t yet been turned on, are expected to generate $1.39 per day in electricity, or roughly $42 per month.

The turbines were meant to help illuminate a local park. Now, some city council members are having second thoughts about their unanimous approval for the project.

“I did not realize they would produce so little energy. I wouldn’t have voted for it knowing it was that little,” City Councilwoman Sissi Bruch told The Peninsula Daily News.

Bruch said she was disappointed in the savings, though did “appreciate” the fact it “would educate folks about wind power.”

The city, though, challenged some details in the newspaper report.

Nathan West, director of Community and Economic Development for the city, told FoxNews.com in an email that daily savings could be as high as $5.44 “at peak windspeed” but cautioned that “determination of actual benefit in dollars at this time would be speculative because the spires are not yet operational.”

He also defended the city’s investment in the turbines, saying: “[T]he City did not purchase these spires for the purpose of energy creating infrastructure but rather as a park element. There are however many other thoughts that went into the decision making regarding purchase of the spires.” He said they add to a “positive aesthetic” in the park and “symbolize energy creation.”

The city council voted in October 2015 to approve $107,516 out of a total $285,952 county funding grant to purchase the turbines from Urban Green Energy.

While they were supposed to be turned on two months ago, a dispute over safety inspection of the project has resulted in delays.

The electricity that is produced would be used to power 31 lights in the newly built Waterfront Park.

The lower-than-anticipated savings could be even lower depending on the eventual cost of maintaining the turbines in the harsh and salty environment, Port Angeles Deputy Power Systems Manager Shailesh Shere told the newspaper.

Though some members of the council may not be sold on the alternative energy initiative, there were those who never bought into the promised cost savings in the first place.

“My fundamental objection to these is that they are not cost-effective and it’s a waste of money,” former deputy director of power systems Phil Lusk told the paper.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by A delusional woman

Bruch said she was disappointed in the savings, though did “appreciate” the fact it “would educate folks about wind power.”

Like maybe educate them how wind power is not a vialble alternative? Duuuuhhhhh.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's okay, it was just "Grant" money, that's like Free..!

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Why would a city council vote on a project without knowing the costs vs savings? Never mind.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They now figure that they'll save all of $42/month. That works out to a mere 212 years and they'll be paid for. We should all buy a couple.

And I bet they lowballed maintenance "bigly," they usually do.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rate them right up there with ethanol in my fuel.

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
But they will all be reelected next term. eek

[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Didn't you read? It was not energy they were after, but a symbol thereof...

FMR!!!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Timbermaster
Why would a city council vote on a project without knowing the costs vs savings? Never mind.

exactly. they knew the numbers before they approved the windmills. someone's relative made some money on the deal

if a man speaks, and there isn't a woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Nathan West, director of Community and Economic Development for the city, told FoxNews.com in an email that daily savings could be as high as $5.44 “at peak windspeed” but cautioned that “determination of actual benefit in dollars at this time would be speculative because the spires are not yet operational.”
Several years ago I looked at a small home windmill, something like 400 watts. In the fine print, well buried, was the statement that to get the 400 watts, you needed a sustained windspeed of 24 mph. That's a lot of wind. I doubt that I could get 100 W out of it.

― George Orwell

IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I love this quote -

“I did not realize they would produce so little energy. I wouldn’t have voted for it knowing it was that little,” City Councilwoman Sissi Bruch told The Peninsula Daily News.

Sort of reminds me of another West Coast female standing before Congress saying "Let's pass it and see what's in it"

Last edited by CEJ1895; 12/08/16.

Speak softly and use a big bore...
Where's El Cid when we need him...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

FMR!!!

ROFL, haven't heard that phrase in years..... last word IS runnin', isn't it?

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
He said they add to a “positive aesthetic” in the park and “symbolize energy creation.”
Aesthetic? They're butt ugly. A symbol of energy creation? How can that be when they don't create any energy?

― George Orwell

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Those and all windmills around here are a fu cking eyesore and a waste of tax payer money...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kid0917

FMR!!!

ROFL, haven't heard that phrase in years..... last word IS runnin', isn't it?

But only obviously!

wink

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
He said they add to a “positive aesthetic” in the park and “symbolize energy creation.”
Aesthetic? They're butt ugly. A symbol of energy creation? How can that be when they don't create any energy?

And then there was the ultra-rare English bird the birders all flocked to the windfarm to see... just as it bought it on a blade.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

And then there was the ultra-rare English bird the birders all flocked to the windfarm to see... just as it bought it on a blade.

Exactly.
It's turning out wind farms are killing birds at progidous rates.

Three wind farms in Woyoming have been prosecuted for killing Golden Eagles, and have paid about 10 million in fines, one more has been charged, two more are being investigated.

And Golden Eagles are the only thing they have solid mortality data on. Biologist believe there are zillions of other birds being killed in other locations around the US.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
10 million in fines! Wow!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Several years ago I looked at a small home windmill, something like 400 watts. In the fine print, well buried, was the statement that to get the 400 watts, you needed a sustained windspeed of 24 mph. That's a lot of wind. I doubt that I could get 100 W out of it.
Technology has come quite a ways over the years, and yes, you do have to pay attention to things like solar and wind, but especially out in the bush I'd think it smart to have a bit of options.....

Ever get the MPG they advertise when selling cars eitehr? Knock 5 off that and you are about ballpark average.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Like the ethanol scam, if the government wasn't involved, you'd see little or no wind power. Comparatively, it provides very little energy.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

78 members (afisher, arky65, Aviator, 35, AnthonyB, 01Foreman400, 9 invisible), 1,432 guests, and 741 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,593
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.