Hop To
Page 8 of 18 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 17 18
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Daveh
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Guess I'm just not looney enough.........or perhaps it's because I can read ballistics data for what they are. wink

MM

BINGO...

I have both. Sure dont shoot the 7/08 much anymore..Nor does anyone I know that has bought a creedmoor. funny how it all works.

I recommend them to people I used to recommend 308's to. Not one of them has regretted buying one..Same thing time after time, most are amazed at the little cartridge.

Too bad manufacturers cant take a damn hint.

GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Poor lil'Creedmoor. It's always Creedmoor vs this, Creedmoor vs that.... smile

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Except for pure target shooing exercises, I'm having a hard time trying to figure our why a 6.5 CM would replace anyone's 270 Win on game.

MM

Spot on.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Poor lil'Creedmoor. It's always Creedmoor vs this, Creedmoor vs that.... smile

of course everyone misses it. It aint that it sets the world on fire..Its just that there is a modern factory round that they actually got right, start to finish.

As long as people talk like they are here, the longer it will take to see more like it..it seems the 22-250 has been a pretty big hit for awhile now, same case as the creedmoor, but hamstrung in the LRF days with lazy twists..why? I still want to do up a 300 savage geared towards the 155 scenar, i think it would blow minds at pressures the modern actions can hold.

carry on

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So now that all is well in the cartridge world and we finally have the ONE perfect round, the loonies can sleep.

6mm Creed will be the next hot ticket and 2017-2018 there will be 400 threads titled "6mm Creed or 243 Win, what to buy?".

Then Stick will put together a few with 18" barrels and the fights will be on like donkey kong.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by EdM
Except for pure target shooing exercises, I'm having a hard time trying to figure our why a 6.5 CM would replace anyone's 270 Win on game.

MM

Spot on.

Ditto

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Except for pure target shooing exercises, I'm having a hard time trying to figure our why a 6.5 CM would replace anyone's 7-08 on game.

MM

In the case of my Creedmoor, it wasn't replacing anything. The rifle was filling a gap in my coverage. I wanted a rifle and a cartridge capable for longer distance target shooting and stand hunting (not that I do much of either.) I had a 257 Roberts Ruger Ultralight for woods hunting and close in work, but accuracy is only so-so and that thin barrel heats up pretty quick at the range. I also wanted to avoid heavy recoil. There were a number of cartridges in that class that would have worked. The Creedmoor seemed to hit the sweet spot based on my research. My first trip to the range with the Ruger Hawkeye Predator confirmed that I had made a good decision.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm pretty much settled on the fact that vehicle innovations come from racing and weapon innovations come from competition and the military.

If all we had were Model A's and muskets we'd still hunt, maybe just a slower pace.

Men are unrested explorers. It's how we are wired. There will be something to "top" whatever is hot today. It's just a matter of whether or not you wanna monkey with it and to what extent you'll justify your reasons for doing so.

Count on it.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
The Creedmoor offers something no other cartridge does. For $26 a box at any decent gun store you get factory ammo capable of winning national championships, excellent external ballistics, and low recoil. To frost it- factory guns are almost universally setup correct with regards to twist, throat and by design- magbox.

Of course other cartridges could do this as well.... but no one has.

Originally Posted by 16bore
I'm pretty much settled on the fact that vehicle innovations come from racing and weapon innovations come from competition and the military.

For the last 50 or so years nearly 100% of innovation for weapons has come from the competition community. The military is a stagnant decaying beast.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Creedmoor replaced a lot, IMO.

IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by 16bore

6mm Creed will be the next hot ticket and 2017-2018 there will be 400 threads titled "6mm Creed or 243 Win, what to buy?".

I'd have a lot more money left in my pocket if I could have bought a 6 Creed Montana twisted to shoot the 105s, rather than have gone the route I did to make it happen.

A properly twisted 6 Creed would be much better than any factory 243 that I am aware of.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
The Creedmoor offers something no other cartridge does. For $26 a box at any decent gun store you get factory ammo capable of winning national championships, excellent external ballistics, and low recoil. To frost it- factory guns are almost universally setup correct with regards to twist, throat and by design- magbox.

None of that explains why one would replace a 7-08 with it...........everything you've said about the CM applies as well to the 7-08.

Not knocking the CM, just saying it ain't really any different except in the mind...............for hunting purposes.

MM

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
THe hell it don't. If you just shoot partitions in everything it doesn't matter. The point which you simply missed is the creed has good factory ammo good price ready to go.

Nothing else does all that in factory form......price recoil rifles etc

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

None of that explains why one would replace a 7-08 with it...........everything you've said about the CM applies as well to the 7-08.

Not knocking the CM, just saying it ain't really any different except in the mind...............for hunting purposes.

MM

Bullets. 6.5 is leading the way in bullet selection IMO, which applies to hunting. From the 100gr Mono at 3200 out of a Creed, to 120s at 2900, to the 143/147 ELDX at 2700. Lots of versatility.

The 7-08 has the 120gr TTSX at 3k, which is an amazing combo, but you don't want to start talking wind and longer shots with that bullet. The 140s are good, but the BC edge goes to the 6.5s.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

MM

Maybe if Hornady loaded some factory 162gr. Gay-Max. But they don't.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F

MM

Where's' all that's world class factory long range hunting and match ammo for $26 a box for the 7-08?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep. Bought my first Creedmoor, a Ruger Hawkeye, in 2010, when it was getting to be the hot thing, along with a few boxes of factory ammo. All I did to the rifle was work the trigger over, otherwise it was bone-stock. First 5-shot group at 100 yards with Hornady 140 A-Max ammo was .63", in far from ideal conditions.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Calvin

MM

Bullets. 6.5 is leading the way in bullet selection IMO, which applies to hunting. From the 100gr Mono at 3200 out of a Creed, to 120s at 2900, to the 143/147 ELDX at 2700. Lots of versatility.

The 7-08 has the 120gr TTSX at 3k, which is an amazing combo, but you don't want to start talking wind and longer shots with that bullet. The 140s are good, but the BC edge goes to the 6.5s.

I definitely don't think bullet selection favours the 6.5, though factory ammo certainly does. The 6.5 is gaining headway in bullet options, but the 7's and .30's had a pretty massive head start.

In handloads you can get a 110gr TTSX at 3275 in the 7-08, all the way up to a 195gr Hybrid at 2520fps, and several stops in between.

Though in factory guise with factory mag dimensions, I'll agree the 6.5 Creed is more versatile with bullet options that work at mag length.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
I'll agree the 6.5 Creed is more versatile with bullet options that work at mag length.

Which is why it exists.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
6mm CM has been done for awhile ....it's a 6XC

But as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

I DON'T NEED A WSM AS I HAVE A WEATHERBY!
Page 8 of 18 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

476 members (1_deuce, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 46 invisible), 2,114 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,261
Posts18,504,828
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.