Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
the dog that promises to be best for my grandson. He is 11 years old and will benefit greatly from enjoying and taking care of his dog.

The dog will not go hunting but will be well-exercised and get to go camping and on long hikes. It will live in a moderate climate in a town neighborhood and will be alone (outdoors) in the daytime five days most weeks during the school months, but will be highly attended at all other times. It will spend a good bit of time in the house, and mom needs one that does not shed much hair and tends not to cause allergic reactions.

This dog can't be a tiny "yapper" but will be best if it is toward the smaller end of the scale and not inclined to try to escape. The boy will work very hard toward correct training and care of his dog, and simply love it for all he is worth.

Specific breed/pedigree is not important and rescue dogs will be in consideration, although "well-bred" dogs are in the thought frame. In that regard and due to age issues, the parents think that a 3 or 4 year-old (nicely trained) dog from a breeder or someone who needs to let one go might be a good fit.

I sure want this to work for them. If you'd like more info, just ask. There are a bunch of smart dog people on this site and I trust that you will have some very helpful info. Thanks.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron

B
B
If I were looking for "that" dog, I would look for a guide dog washout. They fail for all kinds of reasons but are better trained than 99% of the dogs out there. I know of a yellow lab that washed out simply because he didn't like storm drains. Contact the local 4H group because many 4H kids raise them until they go to the guide dog academy.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I prefer discarded pups, sometimes older dogs have habits/mannerisms ingrained that seriously detract from the joy of owning them.

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Paul:

Go to the Humane Society and rescue a yellow lab pup. They are about as smart and loyal as any breed. Hair not too long. Not aggressive. A great friend for a boy.

I know you wrote that the dog will not hunt. But just in case, a yellow lab can be trained to point or retrieve and they are great water dogs.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
go to local shelter with a tennis ball and bounce it as you walk by the cages.

P.

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Labrador or Golden Retriever.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Maybe a beagle??

Cancer Sucks
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by ironbender
Labrador or Golden Retriever.

I wouldn't do that to a golden retriever. They hard wire into your nervous system, it's the alone in the back yard thing. The other thing is shedding. My wife goes through about a vaccum cleaner a year, they do shed.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Easy fix - An 11 year old's puppy should not be in the back yard.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
The hair on Goldens doesn't bother me. It's all the mud they attract and hold!

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
IC B3

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
As mentioned above, I too would recommend a pup, as young as you can get, so the animal bonds and socializes with the family. Have seen several "not good" examples of rescue dogs with bad habits that do not fit well. The dog should fit the family. Not the other way around.

Labs and Goldens would be at the top of my list as well, although a Golden would require frequent brushing to keep the shedding under control. Both breeds would be quite comfortable "outdoors" five days a week, even through the winter.

Have never seen or been around a guide dog wash out. Might be an option if they want to skip the house breaking and puppy chewing. But, back to my first point, get 'em as young as possible so they bond with the family.

Last edited by Orion2000; 12/09/16.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Look for a labradoodle great dogs, my niece has two and they are fiercely protective of the kids and family but the kids can do almost anything to them within reason.

[Linked Image]

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Hard to beat a lab and yellow is my favorite.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
A puppy dog for your "puppy person". Recommend black lab to grow along with your son. My kids have had several while growing up and have their own kids now with their own dogs too.

The things that come to those that wait may be the things left by those who got there first.

Unk
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter

pet finder lets you search for any dog near you , try it :

https://www.petfinder.com

P.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We have two labs a yellow and chocolate they are the best dogs ever. They are brothers different litters. They are always happy up to mischief and you can have legs [bleep] and these two are here wagging tails you forget about the bad day.. I would look for a lab your grandson will have a loyal companion for a longtime!!

Last edited by 79S; 12/09/16.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would add Chessies to the mix as a bread to consider. While they are a large breed and can be stubborn, ours was hands down the most loyal, friendliest and best family dog I've ever had. Ours was 2 y/o and a pound rescue.

Pound rescues can be hit or miss, just make sure you understand the good and bad attributes of various breeds.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
have you ever had a Persian Dog ?
Adopt me , i do anything for a price.

PersianDog.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
The poodle mixes like labradoodle and cockapoo are great. They don't shed and they seem to have great personalities.

We all know advertising works, we just don’t think it works on US!
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
We are waiting on the next drop off dog to show up...

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1minute, 219 Wasp, 56 invisible), 2,297 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,033
Posts18,500,622
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.