Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Hello all, does anyone out there own a Sako 85 Synthetic Black? I need help with info about the recoil lug. My only Sako 85, a Bavarian, has the recoil lug that is a long, flat piece that bolts to the stock with two screws in the forward end of the piece.

I understand that there are two different recoil lug versions for the 85, and I'd like both rifles to be able to fit in my new McMillan stock. So I'd like to know if the Synthetic Black uses the lug I've described.

Thanks in advance!

PS-Ill try to add pictures to make it easier if someone owns that model.

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have a couple 85's and you're right, there are 2 different recoil lug options.

[Linked Image]

The longer 2.7" lug with 2 screws is used in Sako 85's wood stocks.

[Linked Image]

The shorter 1.5" lug is used in the synthetic stocks.

[Linked Image]

Pretty sure McMillan can/will inlet their stock for either lug option.

Last edited by MCT3; 12/17/16.

"Good judgment comes from experience but unfortunately, experience is often derived from a series of bad judgments"
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Thanks MCT3, that's really too bad to hear! I was getting excited about the idea of getting a second 85, but it looks like it won't work. My current rifle has a wood stock (Bavarian), which is what my McMillan was inlet for (you are correct they will do either). But if the synthetic stock rifles all have the other style, the Synthetic Black won't fit in my stock. That sucks. frown

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
You never know with Sako. I'm not sure all 85 synthetic stocks have the shorter recoil lug. That's just been my experience with the couple that I've owned. Maybe someone will chime in that had the 2 screw recoil lug installed in a synthetic stock.

"Good judgment comes from experience but unfortunately, experience is often derived from a series of bad judgments"
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
If you need an extra 2 screw recoil lug for your McM stock, I have one that I purchased from Brownell's years ago that I would part with. PM me if interested.

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
The rifle will fit into either, the lug bearing surface is the same in both.

The lugs are different for the type of stock they go in, nothing else.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
All synthetics come with the L shaped lug.

McMillan used to require you to send them your lug. You can buy those lugs from Beretta, or Brownells - but be sure you say which one you need.

J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
The rifle will fit into either, the lug bearing surface is the same in both.

The lugs are different for the type of stock they go in, nothing else.

OH! I'm a complete moron for not realizing that. Hahaha. Thanks for the head's up, that makes total sense now that you mention it. Crisis averted. grin

Last edited by Jedi5150; 12/17/16.
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Thanks Gents! And one other question; Do any of you know if the barrel profile of the Bavarian Rifle and the Synthetic Black are the same? My McMillan barely fits the Bavarian barrel, and any bigger would be a no-go. When I asked McMillan about the profile of the Finlight, they said that even though it is fluted, it has the same external dimensions as the other "standard" barrels like the Bavarian (which doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me).

The Synthetic Black looks like it has the same barrel as the Finnlight, just blackened.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

188 members (257_X_50, 1_deuce, 35WhelenNut, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 2ndwind, 26 invisible), 2,917 guests, and 960 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,643
Posts18,533,642
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.