Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 18 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 17 18
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
So Rick, how much has your cartridge choice and rifle weight changed since about 15 years ago when you swore off being a rifle loony, and bought a rifle from a certain well-known maker? And how many rifles and cartridges have come and gone in between? :-)

John,

Isn't that being a bit cruel to make a rifle looney do some introspection about gun buying habits? wink

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
So Rick, how much has your cartridge choice and rifle weight changed since about 15 years ago when you swore off being a rifle loony, and bought a rifle from a certain well-known maker? And how many rifles and cartridges have come and gone in between? :-)

I can't wait for the answer to this one! grin

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
tAG laugh

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by SU35
tAG laugh

Ha! LOL!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Brand spankin new Montana 84L 30-06. Adjusted trigger, bedded lug. Didn't know I had a guarantee, but I'll take it.

Factory 165 gr Core-Lokt

[Linked Image]

Factory Barnes 150 TTSX

[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wow!
Did you just stick some bedding compound in the recess to take up the slop?

But as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

I DON'T NEED A WSM AS I HAVE A WEATHERBY!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just did a pseudo bedding job on the lug area. I found the lug to be smaller in width than the hole it had to go in, the stock had space on both side of the lug that IMO needed filled in. Nice tight fit now and barrel was floated well and aligned well from Kimber so didn't need to mess with any of that. But I could move the barreled action in the stock in a rocking fashion the way I received it, not anymore. She's a goodin, but IME all 4 I've owned have been. The fretting that goes on over these rifles is way overhyped IME.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Typical. Thanks!

But as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

I DON'T NEED A WSM AS I HAVE A WEATHERBY!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It did not like my 155 gr Scenar loads (1-1/2" groups), but I'm working on that.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Your luck is better than mine. I've had 3, none I'd truly consider keepers, 2 already gone, the third with one leg on a banana peel. The two which have already been sold could not be counted on to produce a 5 shot 12 inch group at 300 yards. The current one is not much better, but it is some better. I can't see getting rid of it 'til I have something that works better. Despite that, I like them, and I'm still pondering another as my next rifle, I have not given up.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by bwinters
JG - I 'tested' some of the special techniques 'required' for light rifles and they didn't pan out for me. I shoot my Kimbers like I shoot everything else.

I do find that the Kimber Montana causes some inconsistency issues - at least for me. While shooting my 30-06, I start with my standard technique and end up grabbing it tighter anticipating recoil. Groups go from 1" to 2" as a result. I wouldn't say its Kimber specific but with the lighter mass, its not hard to tweak it.

I'm must be really lucky. I have 4 Kimbers and they will all do less than an inch with various bullets. I've not shot a factory shell through any of them so can't comment. I've never shot a Tikka either so can't comment. I like the Kimber platform and don't find the extra tweaks bothersome - but I do something to every rifle I've ever owned.

the montana I have in 308 if you rest it out towards the end of the forearm not shoot well because the forearm is weak enough at the end to touch the barrel pressed firmly. I guess this is the price you pay for the light weight. If you bench it back by the action, it shoots cheap 150 grain factory ammunition acceptably 1.5 inches for 3 shots or more if you wait 10 minutes between shots. This is my special LW rifle technique.

I also have a select classic roberts as well, which shoots as well or better and the 308 shoots handloads better but I forget what I worked up. Now I am just more interested in hunting.

I would not part with either, but could be interested in rebarreling the roberts into the Ackley improved version, I shoot 47 or so grains of H4350 in it now with 100 grain bullets, the TSX bullets at this speed flatten the 50 yard deer I shoot it at.

Like someone said what do you expect for a $1200 rifle, if you want cheap get a Ruger American, or spend more money on the Cooper etc. I just cannot be disapointed in a rifle that is this light, works and shoots acceptably.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Believe it or not, there are lightweight rifles that don't have bendable forends, and shoot consistently no matter where you rest the forend.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I've never had a problem with a Kimber forend bending.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Believe it or not, there are lightweight rifles that don't have bendable forends, and shoot consistently no matter where you rest the forend.

That's real news to a Kibler shooter! grin

LOL
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
smokepole,

Yeah, neither have I. But if it did, I sure wouldn't put up with it!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I have a generous float and I can shoot my Montana any which way. To include using a bipod.

I think the lightweight "techniques" are nothing more than guys concentrating harder when they shoot a rifle that light. And if that works for them that's great, but I think all that front rest over here, fingers positioned there, wiggle your left toe three times bullschit is just that. Bullschit. A properly floated and bedded rifle isn't going to be finicky.

And how could you possibly hope to have those type of conditions in the field anyway? You gotta take the shot you're given.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by deflave
I have a generous float and I can shoot my Montana any which way. To include using a bipod.

I think the lightweight "techniques" are nothing more than guys concentrating harder when they shoot a rifle that light. And if that works for them that's great, but I think all that front rest over here, fingers positioned there, wiggle your left toe three times bullschit is just that. Bullschit. A properly floated and bedded rifle isn't going to be finicky.

And how could you possibly hope to have those type of conditions in the field anyway? You gotta take the shot you're given.

Dave

Agreed. Common sense is refreshing.

In the Internet age,there is a tendency for people to micro manage everything associated with shooting a rifle and making simple [bleep] seem difficult.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Daveh
Wow!
Did you just stick some bedding compound in the recess to take up the slop?

Capturing the lug is the first move to make, IMO. You can't screw it up, it costs pennies, takes no time, and it's worked every time I've done it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Shooting a 6#7 oz Montana side by side with an 8#9oz M70 (same ammo, 270) the Montana has quick snappy recoil in comparison.

A flinchy shooter is only going to be flinchier with a super light rifle.

Either way, if you suck you suck.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Yep.

Anything under 7lbs gets pretty tough to shoot IMO. Under 6 gets more tougher.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Page 10 of 18 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

501 members (12344mag, 163bc, 1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 204guy, 219 Wasp, 42 invisible), 2,117 guests, and 1,177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,223
Posts18,504,236
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.