-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 18 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 17 18
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Most interesting part is how the Montana soaks it up though. Took a few back and forths to figure it out, but that damn stock and pad are impressive.

GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by deflave
I have a generous float and I can shoot my Montana any which way. To include using a bipod.

I think the lightweight "techniques" are nothing more than guys concentrating harder when they shoot a rifle that light. And if that works for them that's great, but I think all that front rest over here, fingers positioned there, wiggle your left toe three times bullschit is just that. Bullschit. A properly floated and bedded rifle isn't going to be finicky.

And how could you possibly hope to have those type of conditions in the field anyway? You gotta take the shot you're given.

Dave

Agreed. Common sense is refreshing.

In the Internet age,there is a tendency for people to micro manage everything associated with shooting a rifle and making simple [bleep] seem difficult.

X3
When I first got my 7-08 Montana I was getting erratic groups. I tried the techniques guys talked about here and groups got better. I kept messing with it thinking it was all me and my technique. Sometimes it shot very well and sometimes not. I chalked it up to my mistakes in technique when it didn't group as it should.

This past fall I bedded it and changed my scope and mounts to a more solid system. The rifle suddenly became easy to shoot well with my old style target techniques of as little input from me as possible. I no longer had to hold it down or any of the other light rifle garb you hear preached. Now it has produced some of the smallest groups I have ever shot with a hunting rifle, and I am suddenly able to shoot it well every time.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by 16bore
Most interesting part is how the Montana soaks it up though. Took a few back and forths to figure it out, but that damn stock and pad are impressive.

Amazing ain't it! No way I would have believed before that my Montana would have less felt recoil than a same caliber rifle shooting the same loads two pounds heavier, until I experienced it for myself.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 16bore

My 270 is a puzzycat.

The uber cush pad makes a big difference.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
A 5lb 13oz 84M shooting 210 Partitions is snappy at the bench for sure!

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
RH : My experience has been that when you have to resort to all sorts of special techniques, searching high and low for special loads, etc to get a rifle to shoot, the problem is usually a mechanical one where some aspect of the rifle is assembled like a POS....loosey goosey at best.

All the other stuff we talk about here getting a rifle to shoot is mostly an attempt to over come some assembly or component deficiency.

Fix the mechanics nd the rest will fall into place. Stick calls this "starting at the start" but the concept is simple and lots of people look right past it.

You can use the best components in the world; sloppy assembly negates them all. A Kimber is no different.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

You can use the best components in the world; sloppy assembly negates them all. A Kimber is no different.

Couldn't agree more Bob. My favorite and best gunsmith, now retired,screwed together my first 'build' for me, and load development consists of simply putting cartridges in the gun....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If a guy wants the warm and fuzzies of itty bitty groups on paper IMO the triggers have to be very light....safe....but light. It's just such a light rifle that it can be steered left or right with just the trigger pull if you don't really hold down the fore end. None of which is an issue killing something that gives you a pie plate of forgiveness through vitals but if you demand those little groups on paper there's definitely some variables you have to be aware of in an all up 6lb rifle. If I don't hold it a certain way i swear it moves from my breath!....grin

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
If a guy wants the warm and fuzzies of itty bitty groups on paper IMO the triggers have to be very light....safe....but light. It's just such a light rifle that it can be steered left or right with just the trigger pull if you don't really hold down the fore end. None of which is an issue killing something that gives you a pie plate of forgiveness through vitals but if you demand those little groups on paper there's definitely some variables you have to be aware of in an all up 6lb rifle. If I don't hold it a certain way i swear it moves from my breath!....grin

Pulling a trigger without moving the gun off target in the #1 key to accuracy.It doesn't matter if we are talking rifles or handguns. Until you can pull the trigger without moving the gun off target ,nothing else matters.A very light trigger,or a very heavy gun makes that easier but it can be accomplished with practice in any case.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ingwe

Couldn't agree more Bob. My favorite and best gunsmith, now retired,screwed together my first 'build' for me, and load development consists of simply putting cartridges in the gun....

Inge:Exactly....... Fighting my way past so many rifles built like slop eventually sunk in. But Im a little slow and had to figure some of this stuff out on my own.

When it's made of good components but won't shoot there is only one possibility left....it's broke and needs to be fixed.

I LMAO at all the "load development" with groups scattered merrily across inches of targets and just know it's [bleep] barrels,actions not trued, hacked bedding,who knows what else,along with clueless shooters.

Your smith is a smart guy. wink

Here's what happens to "load development" when the rifle is fixed and components properly assembled, before we start reaching for magic powders and bullets, and wasting time and components .

First hand load fired through that 7 Rem Mag.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by BobinNH; 12/18/16.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J

When it's made of good components but won't shoot there is only one possibility left....it's broke and needs to be fixed.

So Bob, you're an experienced rifleman. Since there are so many hit and miss Kimber accuracy issues, is Kimber a well built rifle from the factory, sloppy, poor quality control, or what? The lightest rifle I owned was a Nosler Patriot 7-08. It shot like a dream from the start.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by JGRaider

So Bob, you're an experienced rifleman. Since there are so many hit and miss Kimber accuracy issues, is Kimber a well built rifle from the factory, sloppy, poor quality control, or what? The lightest rifle I owned was a Nosler Patriot 7-08. It shot like a dream from the start.

And weighed what with scope and rings?

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

Dave

Exactly. The Kimber may require some work to be perfected as it comes from the factory, but if a total newby to bedding like me can get it right the first try, then it's well worth the price of admission. It's not like it's the only factory rifle that requires a little work.

I guess it's just expected that you need to change the trigger, barrel, stock, and bed a model 700, so no one complains. After all the model 700 costs so much less.LOL Why does no one count the full cost plus parts and complain about that?

this is the first 100 yard group I shot after bedding my POS Kimber. Factory Accubonds no less.
[Linked Image]

second group
[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J

Dave

So 6lb rifles are harder build than 6.7lb rifles?

Nice shooting RH. I've had 5 Tikkas that shot just like that, factory rings, out of the box, factory ammo. smile

Last edited by JGRaider; 12/18/16.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
You've either shot light rifles or you haven't.

Have you or not?

Dave

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Nosler weighs 6.75lbs naked . . . but these Montanas are going about 6lbs scoped.

So 6lb rifles are harder build than 7.5 6.7lb rifles?

Yes . . . much.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

Dave

Nice shooting RH. I've had 5 Tikkas that shot just like that, factory rings, out of the box, factory ammo. smile

The Tikkas are great,no doubt. If they weighed 5.2 lbs rather than 6.7 Kimber would be out of business. That either matters to you or it doesn't. I'm happy either way,even if I have to bed the Kimber to get it to shoot.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Which brings us back to the same thing that's been stated 1,000 times to the same people.

There is NO RIFLE COMPARABLE TO THE KIMBER MONTANA.

Dave

T
Trystan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

Dave

The Tikkas are great,no doubt. If they weighed 5.2 lbs rather than 6.7 Kimber would be out of business. That either matters to you or it doesn't. I'm happy either way,even if I have to bed the Kimber to get it to shoot.

I thought the superlite Tikka was 5.8 lbs?

If you are packing beer thats minus 1/2 a beer and could potentially be a deal breaker 😀

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Which brings us back to the same thing that's been stated 1,000 times to the same people.

There is NO RIFLE COMPARABLE TO THE KIMBER MONTANA.

Dave

No Dave, they are not greater than sex!

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
Page 11 of 18 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

505 members (219DW, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1lessdog, 52 invisible), 2,295 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,287
Posts18,505,178
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.