Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Dad

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Dad....in 1950! Made many hunts together! Miss he and Mom every day!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Strictly speaking, my grandmother. I guess I was 4 or so, Dad and Papa were hunting and Grandma took me with her when she went hunting in the woods below the pasture for a while.

Once I was old enough to have a license and carry a gun, then it was Dad.

Dale

This space for rent

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Same guy that took me on my most recent hunting trip - my father.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Me and Qtip, God rest his soul.

My father didn't hunt, neither did his father. Qtips Dad would drive us all the way up Greenwood Lake Turnpike to where it met East Shore Road from Hawthorne NJ, for small game or deer and we were on our own. He'd pick us up later at dusk.

We would hunt the state land that is now underwater as Monksville Reservoir as of 1987.

It was always a good time, and while we had no one to teach us we learned, first together, then separate when he moved permanently up New York State.

Garry
Trump won !!!
Trying to live like a free man in the Communist Republic of New Jersey.
Love your country, distrust your government.
Democrats and the people who vote for them, enemies of America and a free American people
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I have a photo of my mom with her first deer, a 4x4 blacktail. Dad and grandpa had taken her and the punk 3 year old kid and she tagged out.

LOL
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I took myself, which was illegal of'course because you had to be 16 to hunt without an adult in PA. I had a 70's wingmaster and hunted rabbits by myself since I was 12 or 13 or so. By the time I was about 15, I figured I could do this deer thing alone. My dad didnt hunt and my grandfather had stopped due to health reasons. My 870 had a bead sight, no rib but practiced shooting "sluggers" before hand.

The 3 day doe season rolled around and I was out prowling the last day, when i jumped up about 3 deer. One stopped to look back at about 80 yards, I held a little high and see dashed at the shot. Thought I missed and was almost beside myself worrying about recovery when I found hair. I slowly tracked her but she only went about 60 yards. I gutted her like I did a rabbit and started the drag. After a few hundred yards, I went home and called a buddy who was old enough to drive to help me drag her out. Still the biggest doe I think Ive ever shot!

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was a self-taught, self-motivated hunter from the start. I did not start until I was in my early twenties. I had decided that caving was getting too dangerous and hiking and camping wasn't enough. I had support from some of my older friends, but this was a DIY thing all the way.

My first deer hunts were all bow. This was back in the early 80's, and bowhunting did not have the glitz and hype it does now. It also did not have the kit. I spent the first few seasons letting doe walk, trying to burn my one tag on a buck. I was also driving 3 hours one-way to hunt, and there was no Sunday hunting. That meant getting of work on Fridays, driving until 11 PM, pitching a tent, grabbing few hours sleep and then hunting all day Saturday and going home Sunday, because Ohio did not allow hunting on the sabbath. I went for years like that.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I learned on my own…started on the 120 acres that our family cabin was on in the Spooner area of WI. I enjoyed the bow hunting there. My first time out I climbed an oak (no portable tree stands back there) at the corner of our field right over a deer trail and had a fork horn buck walk right under me for a spine shot. Well that got me hooked! Then came the WI rifle season. The woods which were devoid of other hunters all grouse and bow season sprouted orange blobs overnight. There were hunters literally everywhere. Our neighbor invited me on some deer drives one day. I also didn't care for that at all.

I bow hunted around there for a few more years before my father sold the place. I gave up deer hunting for awhile until my wife and I moved to far northern MN, near the Canadian border. I found myself back in deer hunting heaven and I bought a rifle. I found that I could walk out my backdoor and ramble all day during rifle season without seeing another hunter or as much as a boot track. I ended up shooting one deer up there during that time with my bow, but rifle hunting proved to far more effective for the still hunting I really enjoy more than other forms of whitetail hunting.

We moved, but I kept some adjoining land and built a cabin, which is my deer camp now.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My Daddy always took me. I sure appreciate all he taught me through the years. Hope to instill some of this in my daughter and nephew and nieces

Not always about the kill, they had a ball.
[Linked Image]

"If you got it, you got it!" In memory of Pops, gone but never forgotten
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
brother was 14,me at 13.dad would take us squirrel hunting on my grandads farm.we all carried 410 shotguns but dad never shot anything.same with fishing ,he would take us but never fished.my brother soon decided he wasn't and hunter or fisherman.

E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Great stories folks, thanks for sharing.

A true friend is someone who reaches for your
hand but touches your heart !!!
P
PWN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
My dad, but he didn't teach me to hunt and was more concerned with killing his own deer than sitting with me. He would just drop me in the woods on the way to where he was going and tell me to stay put. I still managed to kill a deer the second year I went deer hunting and a favorite uncle heard me shoot and came and helped me field dress and drag it out.

Perry

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
My dad and his brother. I killed my first deer with my uncle taking me down to the property. Dad was traveling back then. I have a lot of fond memories with my family hunting.

Regards,
Nick- Georgia
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
My best friend and myself.. Dad got re-bit by the hunting bug that same year and hunted with me for the rest of his life.. Good times and great memories..

Speak softly and use a big bore...
Where's El Cid when we need him...
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Friend of the Family taught me how to hunt Small Game and Deer. I in turn took my younger brother hunting.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"My dad." And both my 13 and 11 year old daughters can give you the same answer.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
My now ex BIL. He took me on my first deer hunt and I've been hooked ever since.

My Dad was a hunter back in the 50's and 60's but upland only. I taught myself how to deer hunt after my BIL introduced me to it.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My uncle...

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

624 members (1lessdog, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 66 invisible), 2,439 guests, and 1,212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,411
Posts18,470,431
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.