I grew up near San Angelo on the Concho river and we had a very small place that very rarely had deer passing thru so we never hunted them. My dad was always working but I had a uncle who owned 300 or so acres just outside of Mason,Texas.

Uncle Howard Leifeste was a great man who overlooked all my stupid ideas and questions and I was truly blessed to have him as an uncle and a teacher. He used to tell my dad every deer I ever saw was a buck laugh He instilled a love of hunting in me that still burns bright today. He would pick up my brother, myself and my cousin after school and take us to Mason for the weekend during deer season. I was able as a yong adult to take him to a lease I was on near Garden City only one time before he passed away and I still wish I could have spent more time with him.

I've stayed employed my entire adult life although I never manage to buy my own place. Due to a lifelong buddy from San Angelo I was able to introduce both my kids to deer hunting. Neither has the love for it that I do so I guess I failed to instill the love for it that I felt at a very young age.

Christmas time always makes me reflect on my life and uncle Howard was a gift that God blessed me with. Merry Christmas to all my Campfire friends. Some of you I've met FTF and many others I really hope to someday over a campfire and a beer!!!

Last edited by Elkhunter49; 12/21/16.

A true friend is someone who reaches for your
hand but touches your heart !!!