Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Way overdue for a new pair of binoculars for hunting and general purpose. Looking at the Leica Trinovid HD 10x42 and the Vortex Razor HD 10x42 ... with the Vortex being slightly more expensive. Anyone here have preference of one over the other???

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I'm sure you will hear opinions on both. Someone else will chime in with Swaro. Next guy perhaps Zeiss. And, of course, never discount Leupold.

The only question to answer is: which do you prefer. Can you look through them both, particularly in low light? Maybe order them both from Cameraland and return the ones you don't like?

I preferred Leica. It might be nothing more than brand snobbery but they worked better for me. YMMV.

Hunt Africa while you can
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Between the two you are considering the Leica are the hands-down better glass.

Any Leica (and Swarovski) product can be handed down with pride to your kid.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The Trinovid was changed significantly almost exactly a year ago. They were so good they were cutting into Ultravid sales. They were not made better in the new model.

I would not compare the new Trinovid favorably with the Vortex Razor line. The old line was probably better. I actually have the old Trinovid and the Razor and have looked through the new Trinovid extensively.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Although of those two I'd also pick leica... before the "HD" Trinovid came out, last Christmas I order my sons the "old" Trinovids from Doug, they are fantastic binos, especially at those closeout prices.

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by handwerk
Although of those two I'd also pick leica... before the "HD" Trinovid came out, last Christmas I order my sons the "old" Trinovids from Doug, they are fantastic binos, especially at those closeout prices.

You did the right thing, I ordered the "New" trinovids and returned them to Doug and ended up with the "old" trinovids. I also sold a less then 1 year old pair of Razor HD's on the classifieds a few weeks ago and the "old" and "new" trinovids were better and a whole lot cheaper.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Euro Optic still has the 10x "old" Trinovid for $899.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
May want to take a look at the TRACT Toric. You don't need to spend $1000+ to get the quality you want. When I first started posting here I got quite a few less than favorable comments my way when I stated our Toric is equal to, if not superior quality than the Razor, and rivals the SLC. Thankfully we have had great support from Members here and on other forums, who have all backed up my claim.

The TRACT Toric 10x42 is $664 at that quality level. Just means $300-$400 more for other new gear... grin

Trevor
Tract Optics
www.TractOptics.com

Use discount code: 24HOUR5 for 5% off your order!
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I went through this last year and came out with the Trini HD. I love my 10x's. These are really really nice bino's for the price.

How do you know a Trump hater? They'll tell you.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by TRACT_Optics
May want to take a look at the TRACT Toric. You don't need to spend $1000+ to get the quality you want. When I first started posting here I got quite a few less than favorable comments my way when I stated our Toric is equal to, if not superior quality than the Razor, and rivals the SLC. Thankfully we have had great support from Members here and on other forums, who have all backed up my claim.

The TRACT Toric 10x42 is $664 at that quality level. Just means $300-$400 more for other new gear... grin

Definitely.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by peeshooter
I went through this last year and came out with the Trini HD. I love my 10x's. These are really really nice bino's for the price.

I just went through this last week- to the point where the guys at the Cabela's Optics counter would roll their eyes, and seem annoyed, again.

For me, it was between the Trinovid HD, Conquest HD, Vortex Razor and Swaro SLC. You hear great things about various manufacturer's warranty, but, personally I've never had to send anything back to any manufacturer for warranty work.

Truthfully, to my eyes, I couldn't really detect a difference in optics. It mostly came down to ergonomics- what fit my face better.

The Vortex was the first ruled out. It came down to the SLC vs the Trinovid HD. I liked the Swaros, but didn't see the value paying another $600 over the Leicas.

Just got my Leicas yesterday, and spent a lot of the day looking out over KC from my 7th floor office. They feel very solidly built, very bright and I like the neoprene binocular harness that comes with them.

All in all, I don't think either the Voretx or the Leica is a bad choice, the Leicas just felt better to me.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT

Thank you for posting this; I'm trolling for a set of 10x binos.

ETA: Got a link? I can't find them.

Last edited by StudDuck; 12/23/16.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by StudDuck

Their website seems to be down.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by StudDuck

Scopelist and Europtics are affiliated. Here is the link to the Scopelist site - http://www.scopelist.com/leica-Trinovid-binoculars.aspx

I bought the 8x42 Leica Trinovids (last years model for $849) and am VERY happy with them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not to hijack the OP's thread, but how do I tell which ones are the "older" German made binos rather than the newer version?

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I believe the model number #40009 are the old ones, and #40319 are the HDs(which I bought, and am pleased with).

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
The older ones have the diopter setting on the hinge next to the focus.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Looks like you got the answers you were looking for. To clarify, the model of Trinovid before the current HD was made in Portugal, not in Germany in case that matters to you. Below is the link to the EuroOptic website.

http://www.eurooptic.com/leica-trinovid-10x42-black-armored-binocular-40009.aspx

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've looked through both. Leica by a mile.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Looks like you got the answers you were looking for. To clarify, the model of Trinovid before the current HD was made in Portugal, not in Germany in case that matters to you. Below is the link to the EuroOptic website.

http://www.eurooptic.com/leica-trinovid-10x42-black-armored-binocular-40009.aspx

Just started another thread on this subject, but for the most part I'm squared-away.

Was there any noticeable differences in the build construction between the German made binos versus the one made in Portugal?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

208 members (257 mag, 37L1, 7887mm08, 35, 240NMC, 22 invisible), 1,645 guests, and 887 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,505
Posts18,490,620
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.